Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Governor of CA: Do not pass Senate Bill 863
California Senate Bill 863 is falsely presented as a $700 million increase in permanent disability compensation in return for “efficiencies” in the workers’ compensation system totaling more than $1 billion.

If SB 863 is passed, it will affect injured workers, taxpayers, and the economy. Insurance companies will profit by shifting costs to taxpayers to pay for those who are not working and need medical treatment because of a work injury.

Employers can save money by limiting the profits of the insurance companies, including the elimination of utilization review of medical treatment recommended by doctors in the insurance companies’ medical provider networks.

Injured workers will see the alleged increase in permanent disability compensation because the measure eliminates injured workers’ ability to prove lost future earnings and it limits any permanent disability rating only to select provisions of the American Medical Association Guides. Studies, including out-of-California universities, proved that the adoption of the AMA Guides and Senate Bill 899 drastically reduced injured workers’ benefits. SB 863 will hurt injured workers more.

This bill gives insurance companies complete control of medical treatment and injured workers’ cases. It will eliminate compensation for diminished future earnings capacity, age modifications of permanent disability ratings, psychological damage from physical injuries, sleep and sexual damages from work injuries, compensable consequences of work injures, agreed medical examiners medical treatment determination, and injured workers’ medical control.

This measure is unconstitutional since California’s Constitution requires workers’ compensation benefits be adequate in place of suing employers in civil court.

Please sign the petition to stop the approval of SB 863.

Also,please spread the word by copying and pasting the link below via email, facebook, twitter, and anywhere else on the Internet.

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-gove...e-bill-863

why would we petition the governor?
it's not on his desk.
the bill is still in committee and the amendments that you refer to are still in draft form and have yet to be added to the actual bill that at this point only covers lien rules.
it's not up to the governor yet.
I would contact my state representatives to watch for this as it comes up.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postqu...uthor=lieu
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(08-23-2012, 06:32 PM)1171 Wrote: why would we petition the governor?
it's not on his desk.
the bill is still in committee and the amendments that you refer to are still in draft form and have yet to be added to the actual bill that at this point only covers lien rules.
it's not up to the governor yet.
I would contact my state representatives to watch for this as it comes up.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postqu...uthor=lieu

I just signed it and shared it with y'all . I already called my state representatives thanks for the link

you moved too soon.
they already changed the draft version that you were petitioning.
this newer version is still just a draft and there will be more changes before it actually gets amended into a bill that can be voted on in the legislature.
here is one review of the current revisions:
http://www.wcexec.com/New-Draft-Workers-...mises.aspx

this law-formulating process is really only useful for the organized special interest groups (doctors, lawyers, employers, carriers, politicians, ) to vet various proposals. the early stages of the law-making process really doesn't lend itself to individual voters and their involvement. Individual voters rarely have access to the actual wording and content of what is being proposed let alone the fiscal and preformance data/analysis that is used to anticipate the effects on the changes on the system.
without that information individuals have to rely on others interpretations of what the law means and will do. that is tantamount to allowing oneself to become a puppet for whatever special interest group one happens to listen to or lean toward. such trust is often abused in our political process. what one is told will happen is often false, slated or exaggerated.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

[quote='1171' pid='146469' dateline='1345828775']
you moved too soon.
they already changed the draft version that you were petitioning.
this newer version is still just a draft and there will be more changes before it actually gets amended into a bill that can be voted on in the legislature.
here is one review of the current revisions:
http://www.wcexec.com/New-Draft-Workers-...mises.aspx

this law-formulating process is really only useful for the organized special interest groups (doctors, lawyers, employers, carriers, politicians, ) to vet various proposals. the early stages of the law-making process really doesn't lend itself to individual voters and their involvement. Individual voters rarely have access to the actual wording and content of what is being proposed let alone the fiscal and preformance data/analysis that is used to anticipate the effects on the changes on the system.
without that information individuals have to rely on others interpretations of what the law means and will do. that is tantamount to allowing oneself to become a puppet for whatever special interest group one happens to listen to or lean toward. such trust is often abused in our political process. what one is told will happen is often false, slated or exaggerated.

I see , thanks for the link Smile

(08-23-2012, 01:58 PM)lizdawiz82 Wrote: California Senate Bill 863 is falsely presented as a $700 million increase in permanent disability compensation in return for “efficiencies” in the workers’ compensation system totaling more than $1 billion.

If SB 863 is passed, it will affect injured workers, taxpayers, and the economy. Insurance companies will profit by shifting costs to taxpayers to pay for those who are not working and need medical treatment because of a work injury.

Employers can save money by limiting the profits of the insurance companies, including the elimination of utilization review of medical treatment recommended by doctors in the insurance companies’ medical provider networks.

Injured workers will see the alleged increase in permanent disability compensation because the measure eliminates injured workers’ ability to prove lost future earnings and it limits any permanent disability rating only to select provisions of the American Medical Association Guides. Studies, including out-of-California universities, proved that the adoption of the AMA Guides and Senate Bill 899 drastically reduced injured workers’ benefits. SB 863 will hurt injured workers more.

This bill gives insurance companies complete control of medical treatment and injured workers’ cases. It will eliminate compensation for diminished future earnings capacity, age modifications of permanent disability ratings, psychological damage from physical injuries, sleep and sexual damages from work injuries, compensable consequences of work injures, agreed medical examiners medical treatment determination, and injured workers’ medical control.

This measure is unconstitutional since California’s Constitution requires workers’ compensation benefits be adequate in place of suing employers in civil court.

Also,please spread the word by copying and pasting the link below via email, facebook, twitter, and anywhere else on the Internet.

Not to be a killjoy, but I oddly feel compelled to point out a few things.

For one, most injured workers don't even get compensation for diminished future earning capacity.

Taxpayers pay plenty already when someone files for state disability while a dispute is ongoing. Unless you expect the injured worker to pay back any benefits the received during the dispute, this really doesn't make sense.

The idea of disallowing UR within an employers MPN also doesn't make sense. Even in the most tightly controlled MPN's, those doctors are not owned by insurance companies or employers. For larger employers with a deductible, this would actually increase their costs, since they would be stripped of any way to dispute medical treatment without an AME or QME.

Age modifications are an interesting case. I frankly think the system has it backwards. The California system ends up providing greater age related adjustments to the old, and often times if the person is young, their rating will actually go down. I would have no problem with age modifiers were they to reverse, so that people who have to live with the injury longer get a higher award.

Psych, sleep, and sexual dysfunction have long been add-ons in order to increase the potential settlement value. Is the author of the petition seriously of the belief that by getting a whole bunch of lien treatment for supposed impotence or whatever decreases claim costs?

The petition also leaves out that a UR dispute would actually be resolved by Independent Medical Review, which would be done by the state, and would be binding on all parties.

PD absolutely should go up- way up. California lags behind even Utah as far as adequately compensating injured workers for permanent impairment.

SoCal is choked with lien treatment, disputes over this have caused enormous backlogs and unnecessary delays. Those delays impact- guess who? The injured worker.

Just my two cents.

(08-24-2012, 10:10 PM)Woodlawn Wrote: [quote='lizdawiz82' pid='146450' dateline='1345744699']
California Senate Bill 863 is falsely presented as a $700 million increase in permanent disability compensation in return for “efficiencies” in the workers’ compensation system totaling more than $1 billion.

Not to be a killjoy, but I oddly feel compelled to point out a few things.

For one, most injured workers don't even get compensation for diminished future earning capacity.

Taxpayers pay plenty already when someone files for state disability while a dispute is ongoing. Unless you expect the injured worker to pay back any benefits the received during the dispute, this really doesn't make sense.

The idea of disallowing UR within an employers MPN also doesn't make sense. Even in the most tightly controlled MPN's, those doctors are not owned by insurance companies or employers. For larger employers with a deductible, this would actually increase their costs, since they would be stripped of any way to dispute medical treatment without an AME or QME.

Age modifications are an interesting case. I frankly think the system has it backwards. The California system ends up providing greater age related adjustments to the old, and often times if the person is young, their rating will actually go down. I would have no problem with age modifiers were they to reverse, so that people who have to live with the injury longer get a higher award.

Psych, sleep, and sexual dysfunction have long been add-ons in order to increase the potential settlement value. Is the author of the petition seriously of the belief that by getting a whole bunch of lien treatment for supposed impotence or whatever decreases claim costs?

The petition also leaves out that a UR dispute would actually be resolved by Independent Medical Review, which would be done by the state, and would be binding on all parties.

PD absolutely should go up- way up. California lags behind even Utah as far as adequately compensating injured workers for permanent impairment.

SoCal is choked with lien treatment, disputes over this have caused enormous backlogs and unnecessary delays. Those delays impact- guess who? The injured worker.

Just my two cents.
[/quI agree with everything you have stated .The petition was written by a lawyers assistant, mostly lawyers and QME'S

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not sure what to bill WC for Amos 2 2,424 11-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: 1171
  KS governor signs new WC laws bodybuilder1958 17 12,084 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Last Post: kate
Sad Should I Have To Pay This Bill? lefty 6 4,986 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Last Post: lefty
  Employer is trying to bypass Workmans Comp and stick with me with the bill torito 2 4,689 06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Last Post: torito
  Receive phone call from request of the governor Bummer Knees 18 11,207 01-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Dirtydawg69
  A bill was charged off SickandTired 8 6,981 01-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Please Help - I got a bill ngfred 8 5,028 02-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tweety00
  very interesting site for WC our Bill of Rights backache 2 3,953 02-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Am I just going to end up with a big lawyer bill I can't pay? Groaning 8 5,150 09-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Old medical Bill. Was workmans comp. What can I do? klober23 2 9,188 09-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy