Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drunk on the Job
I am out of state working in the steel erection industry. Of course there is always the possibility of injury in this business using welding, cutting, grinding, lifts..... But there is something maybe more dangerous than all the tools combined, an intoxicated worker.

I am 1600 miles from home working with a foreman who drinks almost every night. He is obnoxious on a good night and a threat to himself and others on any given. Normally he drinks 1/2 a fifth of 100 proof Captain Morgan but last night he polished off a whole fifth from 6pm to 2am.

If the body metabolizes an ounce of alcohol an hour, or even a shot, by any estimate he was legally intoxicated on the job today.

The guy is a brown belt, alcoholic, and a sociopath and I am stuck (due to the economy, got to have this paycheck) with the situation.

I notified one of my superiors today and waiting a response.

Am I screwed or what? What to do? How do I cover my butt?

This is a workers compensation forum not and employment issue forum.

With that being said, I will go ahead and tell you how I would handle it.

Its simple, I would do my job and keep myself safe. I would also make sure that my team members are safe. You notified your superiors today. Either the superior is or is not going to use your name when confronting the forman. If so, you can expect a little fall out from the forman.

The bottom line is do your job.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

(08-16-2012, 06:35 PM)69kayak Wrote: I am out of state working in the steel erection industry. Of course there is always the possibility of injury in this business using welding, cutting, grinding, lifts..... But there is something maybe more dangerous than all the tools combined, an intoxicated worker.

I am 1600 miles from home working with a foreman who drinks almost every night. He is obnoxious on a good night and a threat to himself and others on any given. Normally he drinks 1/2 a fifth of 100 proof Captain Morgan but last night he polished off a whole fifth from 6pm to 2am.

If the body metabolizes an ounce of alcohol an hour, or even a shot, by any estimate he was legally intoxicated on the job today.

The guy is a brown belt, alcoholic, and a sociopath and I am stuck (due to the economy, got to have this paycheck) with the situation.

I notified one of my superiors today and waiting a response.

Am I screwed or what? What to do? How do I cover my butt?

You can't control whats gonna happen in the future, all you can do is stay far away from the drunk guy and report him to your supervisor. What are you trying to cover, did something happen at work?