Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Injuried lower back
I am a Paramedic in Illinois for 13 years I got hurt on the job while moving a patient back in Jan of this year. I have had a MRI showing a herniated disk at L-4,L-5,S-1, I have had back injections times 3, and a going for a CT-disco gram in a few days. My doctor thinks I need surgery but workers comp is fighting this. They sent me to a IME doctor who said all I needed was PT and this should make me better but I was in no shape to return to work as of yet. 3 weeks later workers comp tried sending me to another IME but my lawyer stopped it. I am worried that I my care is an after thought and I am going to lose my career. My job has been given away to another person and my co-workers have been told I will not be allowed back even though I have never been in any trouble and always been there for the company. I have also had all my benifits taken away from me and have no insurance for me or my family. All I want is to get better so I can return to work but my doctor is afraid that with the delay in treatment I will have nerve damage. I have pain everyday in my low back with numbness down my left leg. I am worried what will happen to me if I lose my job and what kind of job I will be able to get after this is over. Any thoughts or help would be great I am at a loss.

delete please thanks billy

I hate to hear that your in the same boat and I have been looking into doing taxidermy but can't find money out there to go to school for it. Of course I would have to wait till after they got me fixed but with nothing else to do but sit here and wonder it weighs heavy on what the future holds.

I hate to hear that your in the same boat and I have been looking into doing taxidermy but can't find money out there to go to school for it. Of course I would have to wait till after they got me fixed but with nothing else to do but sit here and wonder it weighs heavy on what the future holds.

HI, Medic. Sorry to hear about your injury and poor care. Your comment about your care being almost an after thought is exactly how I feel. I am a CNA and injured my knee back in June, helping ambulate a patient. The NP I saw in employee health gave me a shot of Toradol and said I'd be able to go back to work the next morning. I've not been back yet. The ortho doc they sent me to says it's "just a sprain" but runs out the door before he will tell me anything else. I finally got them to give me another doctor, because I felt like he was more concerned about the hospital I work at (where he admits patients and does surgeries) than me. The new doc I've chosen is in another city, and doesn't use the hospital I work at, so hopefully he will be inclined to do more.

Just be patient and think good thoughts. I'm having to learn that myself.

HI, Medic. Sorry to hear about your injury and poor care. Your comment about your care being almost an after thought is exactly how I feel. I am a CNA and injured my knee back in June, helping ambulate a patient. The NP I saw in employee health gave me a shot of Toradol and said I'd be able to go back to work the next morning. I've not been back yet. The ortho doc they sent me to says it's "just a sprain" but runs out the door before he will tell me anything else. I finally got them to give me another doctor, because I felt like he was more concerned about the hospital I work at (where he admits patients and does surgeries) than me. The new doc I've chosen is in another city, and doesn't use the hospital I work at, so hopefully he will be inclined to do more.

Just be patient and think good thoughts. I'm having to learn that myself.

you need to be talking to a vocational expert.
someone that knows your labor market; that can evaluate your skills and your disability restrictions.
you have to search for help, it won't come to you.
there may be local county and community resources.
you can start at the state level
http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=29727
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Injuried at the CEO's Home helpme 6 1,007 02-15-2020, 04:59 PM
Last Post: helpme
  CA Lower Back Injury Settlement back2036 3 1,173 10-26-2019, 07:26 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Advise for workers comp claim. Only 20yrs old w/ damage to disc in lower back!! brandnew23 17 26,085 01-11-2016, 10:24 PM
  lower lubar fuse maxzillia 1 2,059 05-11-2015, 11:23 AM
  End of treatment? Lower back injury in CA PainOC 10 13,097 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM
  Upper/ Lower Back. Isnt it all connected?? wavewright 4 4,804 05-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Last Post: AQA
  Hurt Lower Back Backsout 9 18,606 03-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  lower back injury rizen1 8 17,581 12-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rizen1
  Lower work hours after WC filed petlover 2 4,976 12-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Last Post: petlover
  Workman's Comp Lower Back Injury rhare53 8 36,135 09-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Last Post: nursedina