Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injured at work, I have questions.
I'm 21 years old and I live in VA. I was injured while getting a light bulb off the very top shelf (ceiling height). They keep their light bulbs in a box, inside another small box, inside the lightbulb boxes..and while putting the box back up one of the light bulb boxes fell out and I must have instinctually reached to get it and I feel from about 2 feet up. I broke my right foot in 2 places and severley sprained it.

This happened at my part time job in retail, my main job is in food services. Can I get workers comp for both jobs? I was told no but should I get an attorney? I can't walk so I can't work either job.

Also, the left side of my foot (which hasn't ever been numb since the injury occured june 28), has suddenly gone numb. The dr said it could be because where one of the fractures is located is a nerve and it could be irritated by that. He said it should go away as it heals, but what do I do if it doesn't? This could be permenant.

I have also been on bed rest (dr's orders especially after it went numb) for the last 3 weeks. I'm a fairly active individual. I'm use to working 2 jobs, going to school full time, working out and having fun. I've gained at least 10 pounds since then and it's not from a poor diet, I've cut back and I've always eaten healthy (raised in organic household). Limping around on crutches is not much exercise. Weight isn't easy to lose after it's put on, can I request any sort of help to lose the weight?

I was also suppose to move in August for school, it's 4 hours away, but since my injury it has made it almost impossible to go and look at apartments..especially when their on the 3rd floor with no elevator. And packing is the next big challenege. I still haven't found a place and I don't know that I'll be able to at all now, everything is filling up and I'm missing out on oportunities.

Hello Taja
I am from NY but I don't think that matters. I believe Workers Comp takes your total earning capacity into account when seeing how much they will pay out. I was injured as a Vol. Firefighter (which is considered a job even though I don't get paid) and they covered the best they could my full time paying job.
Hope this helps and do yourself a huge favor and get an attorney. Sooner the better Wink
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

(07-21-2012, 04:38 PM)Taja Wrote: I'm 21 years old and I live in VA. I was injured while getting a light bulb off the very top shelf (ceiling height). They keep their light bulbs in a box, inside another small box, inside the lightbulb boxes..and while putting the box back up one of the light bulb boxes fell out and I must have instinctually reached to get it and I feel from about 2 feet up. I broke my right foot in 2 places and severley sprained it.

This happened at my part time job in retail, my main job is in food services. Can I get workers comp for both jobs? I was told no but should I get an attorney? I can't walk so I can't work either job.

Also, the left side of my foot (which hasn't ever been numb since the injury occured june 28), has suddenly gone numb. The dr said it could be because where one of the fractures is located is a nerve and it could be irritated by that. He said it should go away as it heals, but what do I do if it doesn't? This could be permenant.

I have also been on bed rest (dr's orders especially after it went numb) for the last 3 weeks. I'm a fairly active individual. I'm use to working 2 jobs, going to school full time, working out and having fun. I've gained at least 10 pounds since then and it's not from a poor diet, I've cut back and I've always eaten healthy (raised in organic household). Limping around on crutches is not much exercise. Weight isn't easy to lose after it's put on, can I request any sort of help to lose the weight?

I was also suppose to move in August for school, it's 4 hours away, but since my injury it has made it almost impossible to go and look at apartments..especially when their on the 3rd floor with no elevator. And packing is the next big challenege. I still haven't found a place and I don't know that I'll be able to at all now, everything is filling up and I'm missing out on oportunities.

whether earnings from employers not covering your injury can be used to determine your disability rate and charged to your employer may depend on case law.
the Customer Contact Center may be able to verify that issue. call toll free at 1-877-664-2566 from 8:30a.m. - 4:45p.m., Monday - Friday.

if the numbness is permanent you have to live with it; that's the meaning of permanent. if it can be treated, it would be up to a doctor to decide how. you can request a second opinion on that issue if you are not satisfied with your doctor.

if your weight gain interfers with your recovery or treatment, your physician can prescribe treatment.
any treatment can be disputed by other medical opinions.

comp benefits are specified by law and can't be changed by either party.
to find out more about Virginia's work comp system go here:
http://www.vwc.state.va.us/portal/vwc-website/default
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Employee Injured at work today-California Babebahn 11 1,514 09-19-2020, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Babebahn
Rolleyes Louisiana Hernia at work questions william32 8 1,662 07-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Injured worker in NC with questions Ticard76 9 3,454 08-20-2017, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Ticard76
  Fell down at work (NY) - please help with workers comp questions Matumba 4 4,607 01-06-2017, 01:03 AM
  Injured at work in NY MD123 3 3,255 03-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Rolleyes injured at work johnsteele 6 6,276 01-20-2014, 06:01 PM
  I Honestly Think I've Been Injured Due To Work rooibos1986 3 3,507 12-17-2013, 02:11 PM
  Injured during work conditioning hotflash 3 5,954 04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Injured worker with some questions. blahbalah 5 5,499 11-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Last Post: blahbalah
  Mom injured at work. hobithairshop 5 5,963 09-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Last Post: LeglEgl