Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knee injury nightmare
Hello, all. I'm new to the board. I live in TN and on June 19, 2012 suffered an injury to my knee at work. I work at a hospital as a nurse's aide. I was helping an RN get a patient back to bed who had just had a knee replacement the day before. The woman was in her early 60s and obese, and would not help herself with the walker. She kept grabbing me instead of the walker. The nurse kept telling her to stop pulling on me. When we got her to the bed, she grabbed me by the uniform at the shouldersand then flopped back onto the bed...taking me with her. In the proces of trying not to fall on top of her, I ended up twisting my left knee and hip and ended up across the bed, supported by my arms.

There was an immediate "pop" and pain in my knee and it started swelling. My hip hurt, too, but after a few steps and stretches was able to "walk it off" and it hasn't bothered me since. The knee on the other hand is another story. I have been off work since it happened. I can not bear weight on it due to the pain, it catches when I bend it, and feels wobbly and unsteady when I put a bit of weight ont it. I was seen by the Nurse Practicioner in Employee Health twice before being referred to an orthopedic surgeon. The regular xrays showed "no broken bones" and the MRI has shown signs of osteoarthritis, bone spurs, a popliteal cyst, and some osteochondral defect. It says the ACL and MCL are "intact". I had absolutely no pain or problems with this knee before that old woman pulled me down. The first visit to the ortho doc, he did a cortisone injection that hasn't helped me one bit.

The ortho doc says it's "only a sprain" and has today ordered me to physical therapy. But he is very unfriendly and just in and out both times I've seen him and won't specify which ligament is sprained or to what extent. He told me today, as soon as he walked into the room, "I gotta get you back to work, the hospital is mad at me."

I go back to see him after three weeks of PT and he said he will see about getting me back to work at that time.

I don't know what to do. I am concerned that the doc is trying to appease the hospital, the only one in this small town, where he admits patients and does surgery and not looking after my best interests. I was not given panel of doctors to choose from. The first time I went to Employee Health, I was handed a form that had Employee Health and three other doctors/clinics I'd never heard of, and told, "Sign this saying you choose to be seen by Employee Health for this" by the receptionist.

When I was referred to the ortho doc, I was asked if I wanted to drive 100+ miles to see a doc in the next big city, or someone here. I have no way to get that far, so I chose here. That's why I was put to see a doc with ties to the hospital I work for.

Sorry for the length...just scared, frustrated and in pain.

ask for a physician panel and select a new doctor from the list.
more information here
http://www.tn.gov/labor-wfd/wcfaq.shtml#WCclaims
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Will they let me do that? I was given the form on my first visit to Employee Health, that had EH circled, and told to sign this choosing EH to treat me.

But I was not given an actual form when I was sent to the ortho doc. I just told her I would rather see someone in this city than drive 100+ miles one way. She made the appt with this ortho, and said he had the first available opening. Is it not too late after seeing him twice?

I was told you could change your treating doctor once.You just fill out a change of tresting doctor form and submit it to workers comp.It usually take about 10 days for them to approve it.
(07-19-2012, 08:13 PM)cherokeegal Wrote: Will they let me do that? I was given the form on my first visit to Employee Health, that had EH circled, and told to sign this choosing EH to treat me.

But I was not given an actual form when I was sent to the ortho doc. I just told her I would rather see someone in this city than drive 100+ miles one way. She made the appt with this ortho, and said he had the first available opening. Is it not too late after seeing him twice?

delete please thanks billy

(07-19-2012, 05:54 PM)cherokeegal Wrote: Hello, all. I'm new to the board. I live in TN and on June 19, 2012 suffered an injury to my knee at work. I work at a hospital as a nurse's aide. I was helping an RN get a patient back to bed who had just had a knee replacement the day before. The woman was in her early 60s and obese, and would not help herself with the walker. She kept grabbing me instead of the walker. The nurse kept telling her to stop pulling on me. When we got her to the bed, she grabbed me by the uniform at the shouldersand then flopped back onto the bed...taking me with her. In the proces of trying not to fall on top of her, I ended up twisting my left knee and hip and ended up across the bed, supported by my arms.

There was an immediate "pop" and pain in my knee and it started swelling. My hip hurt, too, but after a few steps and stretches was able to "walk it off" and it hasn't bothered me since. The knee on the other hand is another story. I have been off work since it happened. I can not bear weight on it due to the pain, it catches when I bend it, and feels wobbly and unsteady when I put a bit of weight ont it. I was seen by the Nurse Practicioner in Employee Health twice before being referred to an orthopedic surgeon. The regular xrays showed "no broken bones" and the MRI has shown signs of osteoarthritis, bone spurs, a popliteal cyst, and some osteochondral defect. It says the ACL and MCL are "intact". I had absolutely no pain or problems with this knee before that old woman pulled me down. The first visit to the ortho doc, he did a cortisone injection that hasn't helped me one bit.

The ortho doc says it's "only a sprain" and has today ordered me to physical therapy. But he is very unfriendly and just in and out both times I've seen him and won't specify which ligament is sprained or to what extent. He told me today, as soon as he walked into the room, "I gotta get you back to work, the hospital is mad at me."

I go back to see him after three weeks of PT and he said he will see about getting me back to work at that time.

I don't know what to do. I am concerned that the doc is trying to appease the hospital, the only one in this small town, where he admits patients and does surgery and not looking after my best interests. I was not given panel of doctors to choose from. The first time I went to Employee Health, I was handed a form that had Employee Health and three other doctors/clinics I'd never heard of, and told, "Sign this saying you choose to be seen by Employee Health for this" by the receptionist.

When I was referred to the ortho doc, I was asked if I wanted to drive 100+ miles to see a doc in the next big city, or someone here. I have no way to get that far, so I chose here. That's why I was put to see a doc with ties to the hospital I work for.

Sorry for the length...just scared, frustrated and in pain.

Hopefully you'll get that approval to see another orthopedic surgeon. Document everything, make copies, protect yourself as much as possible.

If you have to travel to see another surgeon then request that they pay to have someone drive you.

Good luck, knee problems are crap, I should know, I hurt mine while working at a hospital.
Bodybuilder1958

Thanks, all. I do appreciate the support. I've felt totally alone through all of this so far. I plan on asking my employer to allow me to look at the actual panel of ortho docs and choose someone else from that. Anyone in this town would be affiliated with the hospital, so I guess I will have to somehow make the trip to Nashville to see someone who isn't.

I did have the initial meeting with PT this morning. Even though it's the outpatient department of the hospital I work out, I felt like she really listened to me. She gave me a very thorough (and painful) exam...much more in depth than the Nurse Practioner or ortho doc did. She said that I definitely have damage to the MCL, with resulting "laxity" of the entire knee joint. I will be going three days a week, and she said her focus will be reduction of pain and getting me to walkng without the crutches. She didn't say a word about returning to work, which is all everybody else has been hounding me about since the day of the injury.

Thanks, all. I do appreciate the support. I've felt totally alone through all of this so far. I plan on asking my employer to allow me to look at the actual panel of ortho docs and choose someone else from that. Anyone in this town would be affiliated with the hospital, so I guess I will have to somehow make the trip to Nashville to see someone who isn't.

I did have the initial meeting with PT this morning. Even though it's the outpatient department of the hospital I work out, I felt like she really listened to me. She gave me a very thorough (and painful) exam...much more in depth than the Nurse Practioner or ortho doc did. She said that I definitely have damage to the MCL, with resulting "laxity" of the entire knee joint. I will be going three days a week, and she said her focus will be reduction of pain and getting me to walkng without the crutches. She didn't say a word about returning to work, which is all everybody else has been hounding me about since the day of the injury.

(07-20-2012, 12:21 PM)cherokeegal Wrote: Thanks, all. I do appreciate the support. I've felt totally alone through all of this so far. I plan on asking my employer to allow me to look at the actual panel of ortho docs and choose someone else from that. Anyone in this town would be affiliated with the hospital, so I guess I will have to somehow make the trip to Nashville to see someone who isn't.

Be very, very careful about who you discuss this injury with. Your friends might turn against you, talk to your doctors, HR, employee health and your manager only. If others ask tell them you can't discuss it, that when you return is up to your doctor. Don't show up on your floor unless you're talking to your manager.

Please keep a log of each and every time you see your doctor, brief notes as to what was discussed. Keep personal copies of everything your doctor, HR, manager, anybody gives you on this injury. Keep a separate log of your doctor, PT or any other mileage that can be reimbursed.

If you end up hiring a lawyer continue to keep all the logs. Then carry those logs to any court hearing. Sometimes your lawyer forgets to bring important information, my old one did and it nearly cost me $700. in unpaid mileage.

I've been keeping a diary of everything since the day I was injured. I make notes of all phone calls, visits, etc. I've been told that I can't claim mileage reimbursement, because it's not 15 miles from my house to the hospital or doc office.

The doctor they sent me to has a horrible bedside manner, and as I previously said, I think he supports the hospital. The Nurse Practicioner I saw in EH was a sweet girl, but the LPN who is the WC person onsite is hateful, and has "forgotten" to do some of the things she was supposed to do. I've made note of every time she has said she "forgot" to do something she said she would do.

The adjuster with the IC acts sweet, and calls me "honey", but I know she isn't my friend and doesn't give a flying flip about me. LOL I think the next time she calls me "honey" I am going to ask her to stop and be professional. My department director has called a couple times, but only wants to know when I will be back to full duty, and I've noticed that every time she's called me she has had me on speaker phone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  questions about knee injury in NJ jeter06emt 3 3,169 03-18-2015, 09:55 PM
Last Post: WCAdjuster
  Approaching my mmi after a 2 level acdf surgery and the nightmare has no end in sight gopack4mvp2 5 7,188 10-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Knee Injury in SC. Questions.. Pangaman 5 6,540 08-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
  Rotator cuff , employer nightmare , lombar 5 7,046 10-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Comp Nightmare ajenyksr 18 10,864 09-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Newbie with knee injury doglover 6 5,838 07-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  My workers comp nightmare! mrclean331 4 11,088 07-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Last Post: CheriLovesJesus7
  workers comp nightmare lifeisaparty? 10 9,837 04-02-2013, 03:24 AM
Last Post: lifeisaparty?
Question knee injury at work emora92 11 17,697 10-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Last Post: kneebow
  What do I expect next for this knee nightmare? cherokeegal 8 7,123 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees