Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knee injury nightmare
So I got the report of the MRI I had yesterday.

"All ligaments are intact. There is a frayed appearance to the patellar cartilage near the junction of the medial lateral facet with subchrondal cystic changes noted consistent with focal area of grade 4 chrondromalacia. This appears somewhat improved and to a been post-traumatic in nature. Along the lateral femoral condyle there is a cortical indentation of the bone which likely is congenital in nature with no associated edema adjacent to it. There is a mild undulation of the cartilage in this region however with no thinning or fissuring. No chrondromalacia seen. Projecting just anterior to this however within the lateral femoral condyle there is a focal area of subchrondal bone on fat-suppressed T2-weighted images and thinning of the cartilage consistent with focal grade 4 chrondromalacia. There is minimal thinning of the cartilage along the medial femoral condyle however not significant suggestive low grade chrondomalacia. No bone contusions or fractures are identified. There is a benign area of decreased signal intensity in the proximal medial tibia consistent with a healed fibrous cortical defect. No bone destruction of fractures are identified.

Impression:

No meniscal tears.

Chrondomalacia of the patella grade 4. The degree of graying identified in the cartilage is somewhat less than previous noted and could be post-traumatic in nature.

Chrondromalacia of the lateral femoral condyle to a greater extent than the medial femoral condyle.

Presumed congenital defect and indentation in the articular bone of the lateral femoral articular surgace with no thinning of the overlying cartilage or significant chrondromalacia. This is likely congenital or remote trauma.

Low grade osteoarthritis with joint effusion.

Small Baker's cyst though elongated."

I go back to see the ortho doc Monday morning.

Well, it was a mess at the doc's office this morning. I was supposed to follow up with the surgeon himself after the MRI, but the idiot at the W/C insurance company made the appointment with the PA. So, the PA couldn't see me for that specific matter, and the doc wasn't in the office today. Therefore, 100 miles round trip wasted. I go back at 10 in the morning to be "worked in" with the doc....translation: be there all damn day. Grrr.....

The NCM looked at the report from the MRI, however, and said that she is "sure" he will "want to do a scope and clean that cartilage damage up". I guess I'll find out for sure tomorow.

Well, it was a mess at the doc's office this morning. I was supposed to follow up with the surgeon himself after the MRI, but the idiot at the W/C insurance company made the appointment with the PA. So, the PA couldn't see me for that specific matter, and the doc wasn't in the office today. Therefore, 100 miles round trip wasted. I go back at 10 in the morning to be "worked in" with the doc....translation: be there all damn day. Grrr.....

The NCM looked at the report from the MRI, however, and said that she is "sure" he will "want to do a scope and clean that cartilage damage up". I guess I'll find out for sure tomorow.

I do pray all goes well with you tomorrow and that you don't have to wait all day.. Let us know how it turns out...

Well, the next step is surgery....if W/C will approve it. He wants to do an arthroscopic surgery and be able to eye-ball it himself. He is very concerned about the very different reports between the first and second MRI. The first one essentially says nothing is wrong, while the second one describes several different areas of cartilage damage...some at a grade 4, which is the worst possible, and some other issues. He plans to do a chrondroplasty and shave any damaged areas he can, and perhaps do an OATS procedure and transfer bone material from good areas to the worst areas. If approved, he wants to do the surgery on Friday, Aug. 31.

I do pray they get everything approved asap and it all goes well for you.. keep us posted!

I got an email late this evening from my adjuster saying she had just faxed the approval for my surgery to my surgeon's office. Maybe they will call me tomorrow and let me know something. I hope the slot for Friday is still open. That would give me having my husband at home for three days to get me through the worst of it.

I got an email late this evening from my adjuster saying she had just faxed the approval for my surgery to my surgeon's office. Maybe they will call me tomorrow and let me know something. I hope the slot for Friday is still open. That would give me having my husband at home for three days to get me through the worst of it.
I am very thankful, however, that they approved my surgery without forcing me to jump through a lot of hoops or get multiple other IMEs like so many do.

I'm also thankful for this board, for the support, encouragement, and answers to the tough questions.
I am very thankful, however, that they approved my surgery without forcing me to jump through a lot of hoops or get multiple other IMEs like so many do.

I'm also thankful for this board, for the support, encouragement, and answers to the tough questions.

Well!!

When things started happening, they really started happening.

I go for surgery in the morning. My doc is doing a Diagnostic Arthroscopy with Chrondroplasty, Possible Lateral Release, and OATS procedure.

I'll check back when I can.

Thanks for all the support.

Praying that all goes well for you.. Please keep us posted..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  questions about knee injury in NJ jeter06emt 3 3,518 03-18-2015, 09:55 PM
Last Post: WCAdjuster
  Approaching my mmi after a 2 level acdf surgery and the nightmare has no end in sight gopack4mvp2 5 7,890 10-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Knee Injury in SC. Questions.. Pangaman 5 7,105 08-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
  Rotator cuff , employer nightmare , lombar 5 7,599 10-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Comp Nightmare ajenyksr 18 11,923 09-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Newbie with knee injury doglover 6 6,300 07-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  My workers comp nightmare! mrclean331 4 11,739 07-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Last Post: CheriLovesJesus7
  workers comp nightmare lifeisaparty? 10 10,691 04-02-2013, 03:24 AM
Last Post: lifeisaparty?
Question knee injury at work emora92 11 18,684 10-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Last Post: kneebow
  What do I expect next for this knee nightmare? cherokeegal 8 7,859 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees