Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
return to work before my surgery???
I live in Tn and am a truck driver. I was pulling hoses on Monday and felt a burn in my stomach. I did report it to my terminal manager same day. I was out of state and Tuesday when I returned to Tn I went to the ER on my own, calling him before I went, Had a CT scan and was dx with a hernia and refered to a surgeon. My teminal manager said he didn't think a hernia was considered workmans comp and didnt send me to a company dr untill today. Thursday. And this dr agreed with er dr and is referring me to a surgeon. OK now I just got a call from my terminal manager for me to return to work tomorrow on light duty. I am holding my 2 fingers over the protrusion, and just got pain meds prescribed today. They say on the bottle for home use only,
My question
And how can they make you work under these conditions. If I do not go in will it affect my workers comp.
I am waiting on the workers comp lady to call me with the name of 3 drs.
The dr I saw today gave every restriction there was on the light duty form. Said he could not say I could not return to work BECAUSE it was a workers comp injury. But thought with all the restrictions I wouldn't have to.
I am in alot of pain and very uncomfortable, worried about taking medicine and driving 35 miles to work.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Bud

i am new here too for my hubby but did you tell your terminal mgr about all the restrictions? Does you company have a light duty position? my hubby's doesn't have a light duty so he is off work. You may have to show him the status report with all the restrictions so they know you can't do much .. my hubby is also off work because he can not drive co vehicle while on pain meds.. We have been taking photo of status reports and sending them via email to his work so they have them and can see them if you have a cell phone that can do this i would recommend doing this so you may not have to go in.,if not if you have a fax or printer that can do this than do it that way or if you are close to a place that can fax that would work ... Do you have any sick time you can use if so use it ...we are in TX and it is a little different with what you can do so i am sorry if this does not help much. also look up on computer your workman's comp site for TN it should have a hotline number for help to injured employe's they will answer any questions you have at no cost... i looked up the # call 1-800-332-2667
this is where it says to call for free help in TN ... please let me know if i can help you out we are all in the same boat and need support..

(07-12-2012, 05:40 PM)Pambud96 Wrote: I live in Tn and am a truck driver. I was pulling hoses on Monday and felt a burn in my stomach. I did report it to my terminal manager same day. I was out of state and Tuesday when I returned to Tn I went to the ER on my own, calling him before I went, Had a CT scan and was dx with a hernia and refered to a surgeon. My teminal manager said he didn't think a hernia was considered workmans comp and didnt send me to a company dr untill today. Thursday. And this dr agreed with er dr and is referring me to a surgeon. OK now I just got a call from my terminal manager for me to return to work tomorrow on light duty. I am holding my 2 fingers over the protrusion, and just got pain meds prescribed today. They say on the bottle for home use only,
My question
And how can they make you work under these conditions. If I do not go in will it affect my workers comp.
The dr I saw today gave every restriction there was on the light duty form. Said he could not say I could not return to work BECAUSE it was a workers comp injury. But thought with all the restrictions I wouldn't have to.
I am in alot of pain and very uncomfortable, worried about taking medicine and driving 35 miles to work.
Bud

if a doctor took you off work, a release to return to work also has to come from a doctor and not an employer.
if the employer says they can provide work within the restrictions then the carrier won't pay disability.
you can't refute such a situation if you don't try and see what the employer has.
if the employer can't meet the restrictions, then you are entitled to disability payments.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(07-12-2012, 05:40 PM)Pambud96 Wrote: I live in Tn and am a truck driver. I was pulling hoses on Monday and felt a burn in my stomach. I did report it to my terminal manager same day. I was out of state and Tuesday when I returned to Tn I went to the ER on my own, calling him before I went, Had a CT scan and was dx with a hernia and refered to a surgeon. My teminal manager said he didn't think a hernia was considered workmans comp and didnt send me to a company dr untill today. Thursday. And this dr agreed with er dr and is referring me to a surgeon. OK now I just got a call from my terminal manager for me to return to work tomorrow on light duty. I am holding my 2 fingers over the protrusion, and just got pain meds prescribed today. They say on the bottle for home use only,
My question
Bud

Pambud - Just as 1171 says if Dr. says you can return to work light duty, then you must return to continue your medical benefits, if no light duty is available then you will be paid TTD payments. I would let my employer decide whether they want me there or not especially while on any kind of pain meds.

On the other subject I too am from TN and my last visit to my w/c Dr. he also stated that he could not put no restrictions? I believe that certain Dr's try to get in the pocket with the Insurance Company sometimes. My previous Dr would not let me return to work ( the reason why I got fired ), and I'm in the same condition now if not worse.

Just remember to follow the workers compensation Dr's orders, but if you do return to work and feel that you cannot do the job, let the supervisor know then contact you Dr and inform him.. Remember its all a/b documention ( or so from what I've been told ). This too is my first workers compensation claim and man how this is just an experience like no other... But just hang in there it will get better.

Thank you all for your replys. I will be going to work tomorrow as I am not to worried about what they will have me doing. The most they could have me do is answer phones I am just worried about the pain medicine and driving so I will wait till I get there and talk to them before I take anything.

Thnks again

(07-12-2012, 10:11 PM)Pambud96 Wrote: Thank you all for your replys. I will be going to work tomorrow as I am not to worried about what they will have me doing. The most they could have me do is answer phones I am just worried about the pain medicine and driving so I will wait till I get there and talk to them before I take anything.

Thnks again

Hope that it all worked out for you.. Good luck..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Release to work with restrictions but no job to return to Lostandconfused 35 6,887 12-14-2018, 05:32 AM
Last Post: Lostandconfused
  Virginia Work Comp/ Forced surgery Kedward7 4 2,081 04-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Who pays for surgery if work comp is denied Dayneliski 3 4,031 02-27-2018, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Cashiered Too
  Not Ready to Return to Work / Stress (New to Forum) jjjccefbr 8 4,384 02-04-2017, 01:07 AM
  Return to work policy NY Osok 1 2,197 03-29-2015, 07:43 PM
  can i get a second surgery from work comp due to re-injury during post -op linemanmjk 4 8,827 02-24-2015, 12:29 AM
Last Post: linemanmjk
  Notice of Ability to Return to Work jtaf 2 4,096 06-19-2014, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Laid Off After Full-Duty Return to Work wwdoitover 3 7,702 03-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Last Post: wwdoitover
  Had back surgery at 20yrs old from work injury! Help please!!! brandy23_32 3 7,294 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Last Post: brandy23_32
  Return to work, different shift. Nebraska conlar58 2 4,840 03-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Last Post: conlar58