Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can a doctor reverse months old restrictions?
i first met my surgeon back in feb and he requested surgery for me but also said i could return to work with 20 pound restrictions. every doc and surgeon ive seen prior has requested surgery and took me off work. theres no restricted duties at my work. so when WC got that paper they reduced my pay by $50 a week. i was mad but again didnt want to rock the boat. so that was $800 i lost untill my surgery. whatever, but now i applied for ssdi and was turned down solely because he said i could work in feb and it has to be 1 year of continuous no work, so he set me back 6 months or so. when he said i could work i told my other WC doc and she said that was rediculous to reccomend surgery and send me back to work, if you could work you wouldnt need surgery. im finally going in to see this surgeon tomorrow and im telling him to tell WC that it was an office mistake or something. there wasnt a chance i couldve worked at all this full year. will he be able to do that? thank you

Quote " but now i applied for ssdi and was turned down solely because he said i could work in feb and it has to be 1 year of continuous no work, so he set me back 6 months or so."

The above statement is not accuate. The last time I worked was in 2-07. I applied for SSDI 8-07 and was approved. An individual DOES NOT have to be off work for a year to get approved. The individual should apply for SSDI once they are disabled AND thier condition is expected to keep them from working for a year.

The dr. can change his/her mind at anytime. I believe it is going to take medical documentation to change his/her mind. Unfortunately your argument is flawed. I went back to work (with restictions) knowing that I had an upcoming surgery twice. I worked up until the day before the surgeries in 10-05 and 2-07.

I wish you the best.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Let me clarify, i would've been out for one year july 25, so elgible on that date for ssdi, my recovery takes me way past that date(one continuous year). He said the recovery for this surgery won't last untill next february which is one continuous year from him saying i can work. I still have other injuries that he says cannot be surgically fixed, so according to the other docs I've seen, i cannot work with those injuries. He operated on the least pain one. You missed the point of the post, the question of him recinding his answers, not to poke holes in my story. I didnt think i had to write down every law verbatum that pertains to the area of my question. I didn't want to make it too long. My arguement is NOT flawed when i have 3 other docs saying i cant work but miraculously when i walk through his door all my problems go away. Thanks

Its not the Dr's decision on whether you will/won't be eligible for SSDI. It is all based on your medical records that are turned in when you apply. If there is enough medical evidence that shows you are unable to work in ANY field for 1 year or more, you will generally be granted SSDI. However, if there is even a hint of one job you could do ... even sedentary, you won't be granted disability.

If you have the records showing that the other Dr's state you can't work, and there is more than one stating this, SSDI will take this into consideration. It isn't based on just what one Dr says. I originally applied due to 3 seperate conditions, only one Dr had taken me off work, but I was being seen by 4. When the decision was handed down, it was in my favor and I had only been out of work 10 months when I applied. I was able to supply records back to 2005 and SSDI decided I was 100% disabled due to 10 other conditions that I never listed (never thought they were disabling) along with the original 3 I used when applying.

And no, it won't help with the Dr now stating that you couldn't work back then, as it probably shows in your records where he told you that you could while you waited for the surgery. It's time for you to start collecting any and all medical records you have for the past 10 years (as required to file unless you don't have that many years available) if you are serious about filing because they are going to be needed in order for SSDI to make a fully informed decision on your claim.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

Thank you angel, that's what i was wondering about being able to do ANY job. All the paperwork from the docs say that i can't sit,stand or walk for more than a half hour without pain and that is true, except for his, he says i can lift 20 pounds repeatedly all day. He didn't give me that paperwork when i was there, they mailed it to me. It only took 2 weeks to make this decision and it says on it due to that doc stating i can work, i was denied. I have not been let go from my job either, but they all say i definitely can't do that again, besides him. Plus only one injury was "fixed". I'm not looking to be on this for life (and i hope I'm not), i was just looking to be able to have a little more money for bills while they keep me from working. Thanks again angel Wink

If you have been denied SSDI, you can appeal the decision. It may take some time however for it to move through the system. So if you have no income such as wc ttd payments or short term disability, apply for SSI while you wait. It takes a lot less time to be approved and most of the time, you are also approved for medicaid. Although medicaid won't pay for your injury, if you have other illnesses, it will help pay for those.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Help please Was on light duty wc doctor....new doctor out of work till .. Feelbad 6 2,253 01-25-2019, 11:45 PM
Last Post: 1171
  New Here: TKR 6 months Jenny_boise 3 778 01-22-2019, 12:53 AM
  Approved for ssdi while receiving WC in reverse offset state farmboy 7 7,104 06-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post: farmboy
  Injured Worker has not seen a PTP yet, its 8 months. Any ideas? Billy Miller 6 2,666 04-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  lawyer has not found my brother a PTP after Four Months in Ca? Billy Miller 6 2,974 02-01-2018, 11:50 PM
  2 months since IME appointment jojo87 6 2,524 03-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Last Post: jojo87
  2 months since IME appointment jojo87 0 927 03-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Last Post: jojo87
  CALIFORNIA- 1CM HNP, L4,L5,S1, OUT 10 MONTHS- HOW MUCH LONGER hardwey 2 1,711 02-22-2017, 03:28 PM
  Out of work for nearly four months RayC96 2 2,292 12-26-2015, 04:13 PM
  Off for 2 months and no wage benefits 2000silverz28 5 6,391 07-31-2015, 03:31 PM