Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Employer won't allow wrist brace
Question 
My wife is working at a deli as a server here in Texas. She sprained her wrist lifting plates the other day at work. She's wearing a wrist brace to help her wrist heal. She was told she's not allowed to wear it since it doesn't look good for a server to wear a wrist brace. Are they allowed to say and be able to enforce that? I appreciate your advice! Thanks in advance.

(06-04-2012, 06:09 PM)MIinTX Wrote: My wife is working at a deli as a server here in Texas. She sprained her wrist lifting plates the other day at work. She's wearing a wrist brace to help her wrist heal. She was told she's not allowed to wear it since it doesn't look good for a server to wear a wrist brace. Are they allowed to say and be able to enforce that? I appreciate your advice! Thanks in advance.

It could be a Issue with sanitation; If it looked dirty or unsanitary, I would not but from that deli.

if the doctor orders her to wear it and they won't provide duties where she can, then she is eligible for disability payments while she is off.
the employer can't deny treatment and refuse disability - one or the other.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

If it is an issue with being unsanitary the brace could be covered with plastic when worn along with the brace being washed gently by hand.

Not wearing the brace will only worsen the medical treatment.

The employer can not refuse the employee to wear the brace. That would be denying doctor orderd medical treatment.

1171 is correct as usuall.

Now is the time for her to let the management know. That if they are going to refuse to let her to wear it. That she will just sit at home a collect monitary benifits until the dr/s. say that the brace is no longer needed.

I think that a light will come on, as far as managment goes.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

(06-04-2012, 06:23 PM)lucky Wrote:
(06-04-2012, 06:09 PM)MIinTX Wrote: My wife is working at a deli as a server here in Texas. She sprained her wrist lifting plates the other day at work. She's wearing a wrist brace to help her wrist heal. She was told she's not allowed to wear it since it doesn't look good for a server to wear a wrist brace. Are they allowed to say and be able to enforce that? I appreciate your advice! Thanks in advance.

It could be a Issue with sanitation; If it looked dirty or unsanitary, I would not but from that deli.

I just bought it yesterday. Brand new.

After what you just said.

Is WC paying for the drs. visit???? I have to wonder considering that YOU bought it. Has she filed a WC claim???

Take Care
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

(06-04-2012, 11:07 PM)AQA Wrote: After what you just said.

Is WC paying for the drs. visit???? I have to wonder considering that YOU bought it. Has she filed a WC claim???

Take Care

She hasn't filed a claim, and I'm not sure they would let her. If she did they would probably fire her. They are very shady. They don't let her even keep her tips, even though that is illegal. We are uninsured, so we can't afford a doctor right now. Haven't had much luck with WC. About 10 years ago I herniated two discs in my back while working in a factory lifting 90lb rolls of fiberglas. They refused WC, refused to supply me with a back support, then laid me off. So were trying to do it on our own, but I'm worried she'll keep hurting her wrist lifting the plates if she's not allowed to wear the brace. She's very small (4'7") and it's harder for her than the other servers. What do you suggest? Thanks again!

You can try and talk with these people.

http://www.oiec.texas.gov/

If she is not going to file a claim. I guess she only has two choices. Were the brace and not work (no benifits) and not were the brace and work.

I don't see any other options.

I personally would file a claim, I'm assuming that she did report the injury to her work? If so they are required to report it to their insurance company..

Then you should get reimbursement for any and all medical expenses related to the injury and then she should get the proper treatment she needs.

And if her employer won't let her work with the wrist brace on then like 1171 said they will have to pay her until she gets better...

If you have no luck going thru the employer to get this resolved then get a lawyer ASAP if you haven't already!

Good luck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wrist brace in food service? Help EcKo_23 4 3,214 08-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  ANYONE WITH WRIST INJURY NEED HELP? poloii 5 9,442 05-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Pennsylvania - Wrist Injury BrettT 2 1,471 04-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Need help, getting anthroscopic debridement on triangular fibrocartilage on wrist marcus 6 3,952 11-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Out of state injury broken wrist HaroldWelds80 2 4,641 04-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Last Post: jayne
  ppi rating for right wrist zflem24 1 5,305 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Last Post: 1171
  wrist injury maxxypearl 7 19,725 01-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Last Post: maxxypearl
  wrist and arm nevadaguy 4 4,458 05-17-2009, 01:31 PM
  wrist and hand pain from machine techwork 6 5,936 01-02-2008, 01:16 PM
  Wrist Injury WorriedinColorado 11 9,534 06-05-2007, 12:55 PM