Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workerscomp with SSDI
I have been disabled by social security due to my back and shoulder injury sustained while on the job. I will never be able to return to any gainful employment so I am currently recieving SSDI in the state of TX. I have just recieved my 16% impairment rating and according to TX state laws I qualify for SIBS. This still has to be approved by the hearing judge! I guess my question is this! According to what I read in the TX workerscomp Laws, In order to recieve SIBS I have to show proof that I attempted to get a job! I am on strong pain killers and soma Everyday . If I am unable to look for work do they just have to continue paying my SIBS or not?

no, not unless you meet these requirements each quarter you will not qualify--

Each time you file an application with the insurance carrier, you must show that:

you looked for work each week of the qualifying period; or
you have current medical documentation from your doctor that explains clearly why your work-related injury or illness prevented you from working or looking for work during that 13-week timeframe; and
your cooperation with the Texas Department of Assistive & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or a private provider of vocational rehabilitation.

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/wc/employee/suppben.html

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(05-21-2012, 12:16 PM)1171 Wrote: no, not unless you meet these requirements each quarter you will not qualify--

Each time you file an application with the insurance carrier, you must show that:

you looked for work each week of the qualifying period; or
you have current medical documentation from your doctor that explains clearly why your work-related injury or illness prevented you from working or looking for work during that 13-week timeframe; and
your cooperation with the Texas Department of Assistive & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or a private provider of vocational rehabilitation.

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/wc/employee/suppben.html

Can I collect SSDI and SIBS at the same time? Do to my situation, I am unable to work. I am on pain meds all through out the day and muscle relaxers (soma). My Back surgeon told me there is nothing else that he could do for me so he sent me to a pain management doctor. The meds that I take 3 times a day make me real sleepy and drowsy! I could not perform a job while on this stuff ! and if I stop taking it my pain is unbearable! I have been off work since 8/28/2009.

It is an interesting sitaution.

You are receiving SSDI, which means that you can not work. Then you have SIBS. that requires you to look for work or make progress towards finding work. I don't think you can collect both.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

(05-21-2012, 01:43 PM)AQA Wrote: It is an interesting sitaution.

You are receiving SSDI, which means that you can not work. Then you have SIBS. that requires you to look for work or make progress towards finding work. I don't think you can collect both.

Social Security Disability Insurance wants those that can get back to work to do so.
they encourage those who are drawing benefits to get themselves recovered enough to get back in the work force.
SSDI does NOT promote disability or dependency.

there is no contradiction to drawing SSDI while you are disabled and then stopping when you can work.

For persons receiving Disability Insurance Benefits full benefits may continue for a year after an individual returns to work. Even thereafter, an individual who has to stop work in the following three years can get back on Social Security disability benefits immediately without having to file a new claim.
In SSI cases, things work a differently, but there is still a strong encouragement to return to work.

more here:
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/en...o-work.htm
https://www.socialsecurity.gov/woundedwa...tsheet.pdf
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/en...stance.htm
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I agree,

While reading your post, I recall. That while recieving SSDI I can make X amount of income without jepordizing my benifits. I was responding to the original posters question with my mind wrapped around WC.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

I was on SSDI and was required to go through Vocational rehab with WC. I continued to draw SSDI and WC at the same time even for the 11 months I was requires to go through Voc. Rehab.

I never filled out a resume; I never applied for a job; The reason was simple; There was no job for me with my restrictions.

Now there is a 80% rule with the Federal Gov. If one goes over the 80% rule, there WC or SSDI pay will be lowered to meet the 80% rule. My state is a reverse offset state so SSDI would be taken away instead of WC pay

(05-21-2012, 05:42 PM)lucky Wrote: I was on SSDI and was required to go through Vocational rehab with WC. I continued to draw SSDI and WC at the same time even for the 11 months I was requires to go through Voc. Rehab.

I never filled out a resume; I never applied for a job; The reason was simple; There was no job for me with my restrictions.

Now there is a 80% rule with the Federal Gov. If one goes over the 80% rule, there WC or SSDI pay will be lowered to meet the 80% rule. My state is a reverse offset state so SSDI would be taken away instead of WC pay

Thanks for sharing! I am in the same boat due to the meds. and restrictions I am unable to work. I have just recieved an impairment rating of 16% which qualifies me for sibs.

(05-21-2012, 04:38 PM)AQA Wrote: I agree,

While reading your post, I recall. That while recieving SSDI I can make X amount of income without jepordizing my benifits. I was responding to the original posters question with my mind wrapped around WC.

good.
i just don't want someone to miss out because of bad information.
this stuff is complex enough...
Be Well
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Its always good between us.

Thinking about the posters original question. As well as the motives are pure, his/her actions can put themself in the position of collecting both. With the SSA offset. Not a bad position to be in. If the individual wants and can go back to school. (DARS financing).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Workerscomp hearing Oilman565 1 1,381 01-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Workerscomp and ssd sassy1959 6 3,586 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Last Post: jayne