Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips and tricks to do normal things while in pain..
My yard is approx. 2 acres; A "little" to big for a self propelled mower. LOL I actually sacrifice and hire someone to mow my yard. It hurts the pocket book but......
Mowing kills my back;Weed eating is a definite no way.

When I used to be a grounds keeper, we used to take care of 200 plus homes... We used to use scag comercial mowers, but the owner incisted we use stihl weed wackers.. They were very well built but after doing 10 houses your arms and back hurt like a bugger.. I own a cheap poulan about 4lbs I use at home, I have hardly anything that the mower cant get except the deck and ramp area. I go through alot of plastic caps because I let it rest on the ground because even 4lbs is hard on the back after 10 min. And once that dies its battery operated time..

New here, but not to pain. I think the political statements were not needed. The person was asking how to cope....
After more than 12 years of severe pain I am still learning- and sometimes I try to push myself more than I should. Maybe you are pushing also.
Instead of shaving why not try the depilatories(sp)- you wipe some cream on, then it just showers off- no reaching down to be precise to shave...
I have found out also, that a rolling stool- with a good back/with a pillow helps ALOT when sitting at the kitchen counter to do some things. If I am going to chop veggies or do something like that, I do it at the kitchen table- with a chair that is made for a desk- it is adjustable and has wheels to get under the table easier. Sometimes I turn the chair backwards and actually lean on the back part of the chair- it is sort of like when you go to the grocery store and lean on the grocery cart- it takes some weight off your back.
I do try to walk as much as I can- and yes it HURTS! But if I don't, then muscles just get weaker, making it worse for my muscles to hold me up- hence more pain. I try to distract myself with the Tens unit, my 'Ipod' (it is a cheapy from Wal-Mart), or take my small dog with me. Sometimes I walk with a friend- that seems to help.
I didn't want to take pain meds either- I am/was a nurse, and know the long-term damage it can do, although the studies show oxycodone/Fentanyl patch is a must- and that does not ever take all the pain away- ever... The Fentanyl make the pain level more even, by far.
I like a clean home also, and actually like to clean the house, but can't clean a 2,000sf house now. I now have a much smaller home- is that a possibility for you- to get a smaller home?
Do not be stubborn as I am- don't try to 'test yourself' as much as I do. I want to see what I can tolerate, but I think maybe I did it too often in the past- I don't now, for about a year.
Do do some chores that make you proud of what you did- but if it involves something heavy, have somebody else do that part. For example, I have a small pressure washer- it is easy to use- it is no more than watering a sidewalk, but have someone else move the pressure washer for you.
Get one of those 'luggage carts'- it makes totting something from house to car or wherever so much easier! I can actually move some things that I normally could not. Just don't lift something onto it- roll it on or have somebody put it on.
I got an old 'red wagon' to do chores, gardening- the wagon itself was very light, but I could put several items in it at once- that way I would not make so many trips back and forth to the garage/barn/house to do something, not wearing myself out so fast.
Rest- every afternoon! It makes a difference for me. I don't sleep well at night due to pain, so I tire easily. Resting gives me a chance to 'soften' my back muscles.
Read- I try to read everyday- it makes me stay still, passes time. Brush the dog- it also is a small task that takes up time, gets something done but doesn't make you do too much.
One thing that made me more comfortable was getting an electric bed with a GOOd mattress. It was very expensive, but worth it. I only buy furniture with comfort in mind now...
Soak in the bathtub everyday- a hot-tub/Jacuizzi would be even better! Then use an icepack!
Learn that it is ok to ask for help- it was very hard for me to even ask a neighbor for simple things- but I am getting better at it! Not perfect, but better...
I hope you can think of more ways to adjust.
Good luck.

New here, but not to pain. I think the political statements were not needed. The person was asking how to cope....
After more than 12 years of severe pain I am still learning- and sometimes I try to push myself more than I should. Maybe you are pushing also.
Instead of shaving why not try the depilatories(sp)- you wipe some cream on, then it just showers off- no reaching down to be precise to shave...
I have found out also, that a rolling stool- with a good back/with a pillow helps ALOT when sitting at the kitchen counter to do some things. If I am going to chop veggies or do something like that, I do it at the kitchen table- with a chair that is made for a desk- it is adjustable and has wheels to get under the table easier. Sometimes I turn the chair backwards and actually lean on the back part of the chair- it is sort of like when you go to the grocery store and lean on the grocery cart- it takes some weight off your back.
I do try to walk as much as I can- and yes it HURTS! But if I don't, then muscles just get weaker, making it worse for my muscles to hold me up- hence more pain. I try to distract myself with the Tens unit, my 'Ipod' (it is a cheapy from Wal-Mart), or take my small dog with me. Sometimes I walk with a friend- that seems to help.
I didn't want to take pain meds either- I am/was a nurse, and know the long-term damage it can do, although the studies show oxycodone/Fentanyl patch is a must- and that does not ever take all the pain away- ever... The Fentanyl make the pain level more even, by far.
I like a clean home also, and actually like to clean the house, but can't clean a 2,000sf house now. I now have a much smaller home- is that a possibility for you- to get a smaller home?
Do not be stubborn as I am- don't try to 'test yourself' as much as I do. I want to see what I can tolerate, but I think maybe I did it too often in the past- I don't now, for about a year.
Do do some chores that make you proud of what you did- but if it involves something heavy, have somebody else do that part. For example, I have a small pressure washer- it is easy to use- it is no more than watering a sidewalk, but have someone else move the pressure washer for you.
Get one of those 'luggage carts'- it makes totting something from house to car or wherever so much easier! I can actually move some things that I normally could not. Just don't lift something onto it- roll it on or have somebody put it on.
I got an old 'red wagon' to do chores, gardening- the wagon itself was very light, but I could put several items in it at once- that way I would not make so many trips back and forth to the garage/barn/house to do something, not wearing myself out so fast.
Rest- every afternoon! It makes a difference for me. I don't sleep well at night due to pain, so I tire easily. Resting gives me a chance to 'soften' my back muscles.
Read- I try to read everyday- it makes me stay still, passes time. Brush the dog- it also is a small task that takes up time, gets something done but doesn't make you do too much.
One thing that made me more comfortable was getting an electric bed with a GOOd mattress. It was very expensive, but worth it. I only buy furniture with comfort in mind now...
Soak in the bathtub everyday- a hot-tub/Jacuizzi would be even better! Then use an icepack!
Learn that it is ok to ask for help- it was very hard for me to even ask a neighbor for simple things- but I am getting better at it! Not perfect, but better...
I hope you can think of more ways to adjust.
Good luck.

Great ideas,great post. Im relatively new to this pain, about 9 months, and i DO feel "guilty" when i feel a little less pain so i tackle the bigger projects until i cant move for days again. I know its wrong but the guilt i feel pushes me to try. Then i say yeah i shouldnt have done that, so how could i go back to work. Having my young family seeing me in this condition kills me. So when i feel any hope i have to try. Im a "you tell me i cant,i will" kind of person, and i prove myself wrong over and over. The depression and guilt is overwhelming. Thanks for the ideas

Rolleyes 
I feel that most of us here are the type that never want to give up. I have always worked 2 jobs, now nothing. Money is scarce and my husband is starting to feel his age.
My non-covered meds were at $50. a pop. I was angry and decided to do as much as possible. One and a half weeks later I woke up in ICU.
Spent a week there and begged to go home. So now my husband and family added hospital trips to there already full scheduled. They saw me laying in bed hooked up to a machine that forced air in and out of my non-working lungs. When I finally got home I told everyone that I would never pull a stunt like that again. When you think you can walk on water, you had best be able to swim, cause you are going in the drink.
Don't let vanity take you away from those who love and care about you.
I got a second chance, not everyone will. Be safe, Bernie
L shoulder torn 3.5" R shoulder damaged. Heart damage, carpal tunnel (L&R) cataplexy/narcolepsy, arthritis, hypoglycemic. +. Bernie

After 9+ years of Chronic Back pain, I do not dwell on what I cannot do; I dwell on the things I can do.

As stated earlier, I walk and it hurts big time but without some form of exercise, our bodies waste to nothing more quickly.

The Fentanyl Patch helps me. It does not take away all the pain but makes life more tolerable.

Our house is 2900 sq foot; My wife who also works takes care of it along with myself; I wash and fold clothes and I also cook 95% of our meals. We are Healthy eaters and very seldom eat out.

Weight loss was a big + for me. Many IW's put on weight. Here is a couple of great articles for motivating ones self to lose the extra pounds and being Injured;

http://www.inquisitr.com/188404/lower-ba...our-spine/

http://www.xlpharmacy.com/blog/back-pain...people.php

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MRI says normal but its a lie, xray shows not normal racer17 2 1,740 06-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
Rolleyes normal calculating methods when two different % are given kevin5960 5 2,664 02-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Workers Comp settlement tips rolandlaw 1 5,810 01-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  A little shaken, don't know if this is normal. Nabby 5 4,561 07-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Things just get better and better Bayan1905 0 1,323 08-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Bayan1905
  is it normal orange 17 9,584 08-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  I recieved a larger than normal check? simplyshane 4 5,219 04-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Last Post: ace25
  Attorney, normal procedure? Moving Slow 5 4,279 01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Moving Slow
  Beyond the scope of normal household duties bagpussinamerica 6 6,329 11-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Last Post: mpenny
Exclamation Ouch! Is this normal? TiredOfHurting09 32 14,841 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Last Post: TiredOfHurting09