Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best security for your computer for jayne ans anyone else
(04-24-2012, 07:27 AM)jayc123 Wrote:
(04-23-2012, 04:28 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: jayc which Norton did you use, just curious? I use Norton 360, far as I know I am not having any problems with bugs.

Bk im not sure which one it came with the laptop in 2008 and set to update as much as possible, again not sure the timeframe ie 5 every minutes or so. The main problem i had was not knowing i had the bugs, full scans showed nothing, wife brought it to comp store( without my knowledge) and said no viruses, my father then used his stuff and found it all that was dated years before. Finally it corrupted my bios and had to delete and reinstall everything. Lost so much info. This could happen with any protection though, thats whats so frustrating. You can get an email from a friend thats been hacked and its all over. Hackers need to get a life.

We used antiVir and it updates every 24 hours without fail. Plus it doesn't cost you a thing. Never had a virus in any of our systems since we switched over 5 years ago. We have 6 laptops and run 4 regular computers, my youngest works maintaining servers for a company at home. My oldest can fix almost any computer thrown at him. So we're pretty well up to date. My youngest also makes extra pocket money fixing computers for people, updating them, etc. He usually charges $25. period and he throws in all sorts of updates and upgrades.

antiVir is what the Brother from church put on mine.He told me stright out nothing is going to catch everything all the time and anyone that tells you that is kidding them selves....hackers work 24/7 to get in but antiVir is working just as hard to keep them out...it is after all all any of them can promise.....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(04-23-2012, 01:35 PM)1171 Wrote: you have to distinguish specific security services to obtain a valid comparison.
most other products contain anti-malware, anti-spam, email protection, parental controls, firewall.
Security Essentials is just virus protection. and, of course,

it only applies to window based PCs and not other systems.

I prefer to get my evaluations and recommendations from the results of an independent testing laboratory.
One of the best I found is
http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/home

you can find their latest results here:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/st...ntl_en.pdf

they do many different tests and the most recent( linked above) was for on-demand protection and accuracy of file detection.
Security Essentials ranked 15th.
while file detection is extremely important other considerations play a part in one's choice and the best features of Security Essentials are ease of use and, of course, price.
Interesting. I did not see Norton in that list. I personally do not like that product, but commercially it is probably best known. Wonder why they did not test it?

Symantec was included in earlier tests.
sometimes a company believes the methodology used on a particular product doesn't match their strength or accentuates a weakness.
rather then get a mediocre or bad review they just don't submit it for comparison.
check out the February report
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/st...eb2011.pdf
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.