Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we insist on an MRI prior to starting therapy?
Does anyone know if we can insist on having an MRI prior to starting therapy? My husband is a maintenace man. He has had herniated disks from work injuries in the past and has recently reinjured his back at work, but this time the doctor he is seeing seams a little flip about things. My husband usually rests for a day or so and is well enough to get back to work. But this time it's more severe. We know from prior times that he has herniated disks in his low back and neck. Our concern is this injury seams different and we are worried if he starts therapy he could do more damage. So far the doctor he is seeing has had him lean to the left and right and the doctor touched his toes... the exam was almost comical he told my husband to stop taking Skelaxin and Diflonec both drugs have worked perfectly for him in the past... instead he wants him on Vicodin and Ibuprofin.. and now he wants him to start therapy he hasn't even seen the bulge on my husbands back and quite frankly doesn't seam to care at all about our history. We are not new to this and we know what has worked before. Can we insist on an MRI or even better can we polilty request a different doctor be assigned to his case?

yes, your husband has the right and the doctor has the right to refuse.
the rules for treatment and change of physician are different in each state so how your husband will handle his case from there is unknown.
most states allow a patient to get a second opinion at the their own expense at any time.
also if treatment is denied by carrier some health plans will provide it.
some states have utilization review guidelines that have to be followed for any treatment approved.
without knowing your state I can't tell if that is the case.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

What state are you in? Check your states WC board for information on changing docs.

In California I know you are able to switch doctors, I believe, up to 3 times.

I believe that you can't 'ask' for anything in a WC claim. You can dispute what the doc says. At that point it will be sent to another doc to evaluate and make the final decision on the dispute.

Do you have an attorney? It sounds like you might need one.

OH and do not have your husband do anything that hurts him. In physical therapy if the therapist asks him to do something and it hurts he needs to voice that. Do not keep going thinking 'they know what they are doing'.. they do not know your pain until you tell them.
I live in CA, it's not always sunny... And the Workers Comp sucks! Smile

pain is often a sign of healing not injury -especially during rehabilitation.
your husband should follow the doctors treatment instructions and discuss his progress regularly.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Like they say " no pain no gain "... But there are limits and he will know what they are and must speak up.. If the dr suggest IBU, then he is probably thinking muscles related.. It sometimes feels like they dont care but reality of it is, they have to take the non advasive steps first and if pt dont help then they may do an mri... If you feel there is somthing else going on, get a second oppinion but it may be at your cost..

has he had an mri yet this time? thats the fastest way to find out if its different than the last injury.a year before my injury i hurt my back at work, went to my doc and had an mri, 3 buging discs, so i took a week vaca and it went away enough to return, 1 year later, same thing, i thought it would only last a week and didnt want to waste vaca time so i kept working, ended up herniating them all and another one. if hes not getting the right treatment he will end up worse, request a 2nd opinion.theyll let you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manufacturer employing temp worker prior to establish a baseline hearing tests Adam 6 1,274 08-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Last Post: 1171
  California: Prior injury private treatment / current injury WC ooWCQoo 15 5,332 09-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  WC law on prior WC injuries and its effect on claim jp11738 3 3,728 08-27-2012, 09:38 PM
  Things are starting to look up FINALLY sis249 19 10,565 08-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Last Post: orange
  Starting Claim after Surgery billajedi 4 3,091 10-27-2009, 11:54 AM
  Injured Over 2 years ago. Pain starting up again. InjuredInNJ 1 3,050 10-11-2009, 10:40 AM
  workers comp claim against prior employer collinsville54 2 5,342 07-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Last Post: chrischris
  SSDI/SSI STARTING SOON QUESTION DTS 2 3,814 12-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Last Post: kate
  Prior injury mirandaj 7 5,733 09-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Aggravation of prior injury UndercovrAngel 6 7,474 02-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel