Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Base Defense Act injury
Hi all, I was injured two years ago while working in Djibouti,Africa. I reported the injury immediately afterwards and was told it was a groin strain. Ya gotta love those Navy Drs. I waited almost 5 months before I came home to Texas for a medical evaluation. I eventually ended up having 3 umbilical hernias repaired,hip arthroscopic surgery and apparently I have a bulging disk as well. I do not have an attorney,( should I?) The Dr.that did my hernia surgery never said if I was at MMI nor did he know what that was. I am about to begin PT this week for my hip. I don't know what's going on with my back.Who should I talk to? My case manager? Or the Dr himself? I was able to choose my own Dr and PT. I wonder what kind of disability payment will arise since I have 3 injuries. The Dr told me that it's possible that one led to another. The hernia,led to the weaker hip,muscles,and that led to a weak core which led to the back issues. The initial fall was very violent and gave me deep and severe bruising on from my quadriceps to my lower back.

Should I get an attorney and what type of money am I looking at?

(03-27-2012, 02:31 AM)scoe! Wrote: Hi all, I was injured two years ago while working in Djibouti,Africa. I reported the injury immediately afterwards and was told it was a groin strain. Ya gotta love those Navy Drs. I waited almost 5 months before I came home to Texas for a medical evaluation. I eventually ended up having 3 umbilical hernias repaired,hip arthroscopic surgery and apparently I have a bulging disk as well. I do not have an attorney,( should I?) The Dr.that did my hernia surgery never said if I was at MMI nor did he know what that was. I am about to begin PT this week for my hip. I don't know what's going on with my back.Who should I talk to? My case manager? Or the Dr himself? I was able to choose my own Dr and PT. I wonder what kind of disability payment will arise since I have 3 injuries. The Dr told me that it's possible that one led to another. The hernia,led to the weaker hip,muscles,and that led to a weak core which led to the back issues. The initial fall was very violent and gave me deep and severe bruising on from my quadriceps to my lower back.

Should I get an attorney and what type of money am I looking at?

immediately get an atty. the initial injury could have caused the rest, but maybe not. a doc not knowing about MMI is weird. doing PT CAN make your disc alot worse as did mine, if you feel it hurting tell the PT and stop, mine became unbearable after PT when i didnt feel that particular herniation before(i felt the others down lower). keep in mind they cant feel your pain and look out for yourself because they wont, they forced me to get an atty because of delays.theyre out to SAVE money, good luck

were you in the military at the time or working for a contracter at the time? since you were out of the country I do not know if any of the U.S. rules apply you should have gotten a booklet letting you know all the rules and such when you signed on I know my son did.Each contractor has different benifits....I suggest you contact them to see what your rights are.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(03-27-2012, 10:07 AM)jayne Wrote: were you in the military at the time or working for a contracter at the time? since you were out of the country I do not know if any of the U.S. rules apply you should have gotten a booklet letting you know all the rules and such when you signed on I know my son did.Each contractor has different benifits....I suggest you contact them to see what your rights are.

Jayne thanks for taking time out for me. I was a contractor and it falls under the base defense act. Pretty much the same as regular work comp...I just don't know specifics....getting a lawyer today.

I understand but which state? every state is different.are you federal? thats different even from state even union is different than non union its not so easy....

I am not following you..I was injured overseas. I am currently in Dallas dealing with the injury. It isn't union nor is it a state issue.

what I am saying is every state has different workmans comp rules,federal workmans comp has differant rules and some unions have different rules...that is why we always ask what state you are in... are you union....you got hurt outside the United States...were you a federal worker?are you covered under federal rules? Do you have a employees handbook that tells you how on the job injurys are handled? you may not have any rights in the U.S. at all...I dont know do you have a employee handbook?

(03-27-2012, 01:35 PM)jayne Wrote: what I am saying is every state has different workmans comp rules,federal workmans comp has differant rules and some unions have different rules...that is why we always ask what state you are in... are you union....you got hurt outside the United States...were you a federal worker?are you covered under federal rules? Do you have a employees handbook that tells you how on the job injurys are handled? you may not have any rights in the U.S. at all...I dont know do you have a employee handbook?

I do have rights under the base defense act. Which is required bt the department of labor for government contractors. I was injured on a US Navy Base, therefore I am covered. I do not have a handbook, but everything has been handled in a professional manner by the IC. I have had two surgeries that have been paid for without any problems, and the checks are always on time.

okay I understand that....what I cant make you understand is Californias rules is different from Arkansas....Floridas is different from New York. Federal workers have a whole different set of rules from state rules....and some unions negotiate better rules for their workers than normal....do you know where your WC is going to be filed?

I understand what you are saying and I said Texas in my original post. I am not a federal employee nor am I in a union.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can my defense attorney obtain records from my psychiatrist for my non-psych claim? caworkerscompqs 2 1,142 01-30-2019, 01:05 AM
Last Post: 1171
Exclamation My QME it's a medical provider for the defense client joe9117 4 3,253 11-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  California-No disability benefits now defense wants to depo AME CRPS485 2 2,695 07-27-2016, 03:09 PM
  California Defense Firm Not Happy..... heatonsgal 2 1,909 06-15-2016, 06:46 PM
Last Post: heatonsgal
  Defense continues yet again October 1 1,955 11-24-2015, 12:44 PM
  Kids' Chance of NJ-NJ scholarship fund-Looking for kids to add to data base apepka 1 3,228 05-16-2015, 01:05 PM
  Defense Attorney,IC adjuster,Employer priss13 1 4,416 05-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Defense atty called me asking what to do with the claim... soconfused 3 5,598 12-04-2010, 01:16 PM
  Your Doctors notes to and from defense attorneys and The insurance carrier? borninabarn 15 15,292 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel
  Can Defense Use This? -- 1171 chrischris 4 3,992 01-31-2008, 12:41 PM