Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
discogram
What was explained to me about any type of fussion and mostly the lower back was fussions are primarly to sturdy the area. I was told I needed the 2 level fusion and I tossed it around in my head for 1 1/2 years and told him no.. There are days i am in tremendous pain, but there are good days where just a few pills control it.. I am only 42 and have decided to wait until I can no longer take the pain or when no meds will help.....

(03-08-2012, 04:29 PM)jayne Wrote: Depends I had the cervical fusion since then the disc above and below have blown I got less than one week of relief from the cevical headaches...however many people get relief they say I havent met any of those people but they do say they are out there.....after the dismal showing of my cervical fusion no way was I letting anyone cut on my lower back ever ever ever. unless it get to where I have no choice its the surgery or I dont walk .....then I will think long and hard on it....long and hard....

it only helped for a week! did the discs on top and bottom blow out right away? or did the pain come back even before that? your definately making me think hard about this
(03-08-2012, 09:31 PM)bronco54501 Wrote: What was explained to me about any type of fussion and mostly the lower back was fussions are primarly to sturdy the area. I was told I needed the 2 level fusion and I tossed it around in my head for 1 1/2 years and told him no.. There are days i am in tremendous pain, but there are good days where just a few pills control it.. I am only 42 and have decided to wait until I can no longer take the pain or when no meds will help.....

thats my problem im soooo unsure what to do.while you thought about it did WC still pay you weekly or did they stop everything? i was told if i opted out theres nothing they can do because im refusing help and id have to settle is that true?

the pain relief I believe came from the I V drugs and not the surgery, my opinion only and we all know what opinions are.the disc above went within 6 months the disc below within a year..pretty standard I have been told by my PCP however you wont hear a surgeon saying that.Very seldom does a day go by that I dont have a cervical migrain on the 3-6 scale at least 2 days a week I have a off the scale cervical migraine.If you refuse the fusion yes they are done....the surgeon told me a rearend accident could kill me scared the kaka out of me I had the surgery....woulda coulda shoulda every one is different...ask lots of questions....is there another way? be informed....mens bones arent as brittle as womens either....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(03-09-2012, 05:53 PM)jayne Wrote: the pain relief I believe came from the I V drugs and not the surgery, my opinion only and we all know what opinions are.the disc above went within 6 months the disc below within a year..pretty standard I have been told by my PCP however you wont hear a surgeon saying that.Very seldom does a day go by that I dont have a cervical migrain on the 3-6 scale at least 2 days a week I have a off the scale cervical migraine.If you refuse the fusion yes they are done....the surgeon told me a rearend accident could kill me scared the kaka out of me I had the surgery....woulda coulda shoulda every one is different...ask lots of questions....is there another way? be informed....mens bones arent as brittle as womens either....

wow thats insane how short it lasts! if thats the timeframe then there really is no point to get it done then your dealing with even more problems. do you have any idea on how long it lasts with males? id imagine the more physical you are the less itll hold up so im screwed there.and if you refuse the fusions will you get less of a settlement because of not going along with them?i really feel for your situation dealing with it everyday that sucks!

(03-11-2012, 10:16 AM)jayc123 Wrote:
(03-09-2012, 05:53 PM)jayne Wrote: the pain relief I believe came from the I V drugs and not the surgery, my opinion only and we all know what opinions are.the disc above went within 6 months the disc below within a year..pretty standard I have been told by my PCP however you wont hear a surgeon saying that.Very seldom does a day go by that I dont have a cervical migrain on the 3-6 scale at least 2 days a week I have a off the scale cervical migraine.If you refuse the fusion yes they are done....the surgeon told me a rearend accident could kill me scared the kaka out of me I had the surgery....woulda coulda shoulda every one is different...ask lots of questions....is there another way? be informed....mens bones arent as brittle as womens either....

wow thats insane how short it lasts! if thats the timeframe then there really is no point to get it done then your dealing with even more problems. do you have any idea on how long it lasts with males? id imagine the more physical you are the less itll hold up so im screwed there.and if you refuse the fusions will you get less of a settlement because of not going along with them?i really feel for your situation dealing with it everyday that sucks!

That doesnt mean your settlement will be less, I believe in my state a failed fussion in the back per level is an aditional 10%.. But the way I looked at it is why go through the trouble and have that fail and take out another disc....for an extra 10% and the extra pain to me it aint worth it...

women have bone problems anyhow when they get older no way am I gonna try and spell that word maybe BB will come by and spell it but when they put the screws in they make the bones even more brittle so if we dont fuse its worse.....I didnt fuse.....but some do Jayc have you ever broke a bone? did it heal well? if so then it should work for you...if your young and otherwise healthy....it didnt work for me...I havent spoke to anyone who has had a good result...but if you have good WC results you dont end up here for long either....google cervical web sites and chat rooms you will be surprized at the information out there.....I can spot a cervical scar and without even thinking will reach up and touch mine,its funny cuz the other person does the same thing.....

(03-11-2012, 12:49 PM)jayne Wrote: women have bone problems anyhow when they get older no way am I gonna try and spell that word maybe BB will come by and spell it but when they put the screws in they make the bones even more brittle so if we dont fuse its worse.....I didnt fuse.....but some do Jayc have you ever broke a bone? did it heal well? if so then it should work for you...if your young and otherwise healthy....it didnt work for me...I havent spoke to anyone who has had a good result...but if you have good WC results you dont end up here for long either....google cervical web sites and chat rooms you will be surprized at the information out there.....I can spot a cervical scar and without even thinking will reach up and touch mine,its funny cuz the other person does the same thing.....

i never looked into fusions because i never thought they would try it on me. now i just heard SCREWS, i dont know what i was thinking a fusion was but it definately didnt involve screws! i thought maybe they burned em together or something. do the screws stay in or another operation to remove them? this doesnt sound fun at all. how long was your recovery time? or what they said it was supposed to be?again thanks

Buddy you better google cervical fusion you are in for an education....cuz its screws,and a cage and no they stay in unless there is a problem

After reading some of these post make me wonder if I too should get a fusion. Here is my situation the WC doctor told me that I will not be able to continue in my current job(Comcast Tech in NJ) in my current condition.He gave me two options, be place on permanent modify duty or have a spinal fusion. I was told be my HR that the company does not have a permanent modify duty.

If I don't take the surgery then like you I will be given a settlement then lose my current job. My company said that the may find something else but mostly likely not at the same pay(about 75,000 per year) because I will not be able to return to the tech ops department.

If I take the surgery then I will have a 50/50 chance that my condition will improve then I can return to my current job and pay. I am also 42. This is a important decision but also a very difficult one to make once you factor in possible side affects of the surgery.

I must say you have a decision on your hands, and you and only you can make that choice... The kicker is your in pain without it and you will have pain with it and if it fails you will realy have pain.. What ever you do I wish you the best, and hope it works out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  another discogram question jayc123 2 3,210 03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Last Post: jayc123
  Discogram robert38 15 9,157 11-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Last Post: tpm
  Help needed with discogram report Bummer Knees 6 5,310 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Discogram Bummer Knees 24 11,099 10-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: jayne