Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
retaliation? Please help...
Hello all. I injured my knee in November of 2011 while climbing an unstable ladder at work. My workplace ins company handled my claim very well, provided me with all the care I needed and after surgery and therapy, my knee has been feeling better than ever. The problem I am experiencing is that I feel I am being punished for getting injured. I was only with the company for 6 months before I got hurt. I love my job and I fought hard to get back. However, I feel like I am fighting a losing battle. I am still working at the same rate that I was hired at almost 2 years ago. I have employees that work under me that have gotten numerous raises while I've been kept at the same rate. despite leading these same employees on a daily basis, they make more than me. I've had supervisors make numerous comments questioning the legitimacy of my injury and my integrity. And in a very derogatory manor. But that doesn't really matter to me. I am very resilient and I do not allow that stuff to bring me down. The issue I am having is that I feel that since the injury, I am being held back on purpose and not being giving a chance to move up and succeed.

This feeling of retaliation was so obvious to me that after falling and hurting my shoulder last year, I neglected to report it because I was afraid of what happened after the first injury. I felt if I didn't report it, I could still change everyone's minds about the first injury with dedication and hard work. I thought that if i did report it, i was pretty much done. I would have no chance at ever going anywhere with the company. Ive recently found that ive been working all this time with a torn labrum from that fall. It has not been easy but I've worked through it.

Unfortunately, none of my hard work has paid off and I'm beginning to get the message. I'm not looking to sue or anything. Im just tired of being treated the way I am. I was hoping to get some opinions on my situation. I know it is my fault for not reporting the injury but now, I am realizing that I probably made a mistake.

So what do you think? Where do I go from here? Thanks for taking the time to read.

if you can find a place you like better, I would change jobs.

P.S. you need overt direct evidence to win any legal action; subtle messages are too subjective.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(02-21-2012, 12:18 PM)Solar1s Wrote: Hello all. I injured my knee in November of 2011 while climbing an unstable ladder at work. My workplace ins company handled my claim very well, provided me with all the care I needed and after surgery and therapy, my knee has been feeling better than ever. The problem I am experiencing is that I feel I am being punished for getting injured. I was only with the company for 6 months before I got hurt. I love my job and I fought hard to get back. However, I feel like I am fighting a losing battle. I am still working at the same rate that I was hired at almost 2 years ago. I have employees that work under me that have gotten numerous raises while I've been kept at the same rate. despite leading these same employees on a daily basis, they make more than me. I've had supervisors make numerous comments questioning the legitimacy of my injury and my integrity. And in a very derogatory manor. But that doesn't really matter to me. I am very resilient and I do not allow that stuff to bring me down. The issue I am having is that I feel that since the injury, I am being held back on purpose and not being giving a chance to move up and succeed.

This feeling of retaliation was so obvious to me that after falling and hurting my shoulder last year, I neglected to report it because I was afraid of what happened after the first injury. I felt if I didn't report it, I could still change everyone's minds about the first injury with dedication and hard work. I thought that if i did report it, i was pretty much done. I would have no chance at ever going anywhere with the company. Ive recently found that ive been working all this time with a torn labrum from that fall. It has not been easy but I've worked through it.

Unfortunately, none of my hard work has paid off and I'm beginning to get the message. I'm not looking to sue or anything. Im just tired of being treated the way I am. I was hoping to get some opinions on my situation. I know it is my fault for not reporting the injury but now, I am realizing that I probably made a mistake.

So what do you think? Where do I go from here? Thanks for taking the time to read.
This is a Hard Job Market. You have been employed only 6 months; Really, How many bumps in pay are you expecting? You was making this rate at time of Injury right?(Reading your post).

Why do you expect a raise now? Only employed 6 months but hired 2 years ago?

he said the injury occured after 6 months but he has been there now for 2 years.

Yes, as jeepstang pointed out, I've been there for 2 years, I lead a crew of installers that work under me, who have not been there as long as me and are making more money than me. They've all received raises in their first year. My injury happened 6 months in and I was not giving mine and I feel like they are still holding it against me to this day. Like I said, my superiors have made numerous degrading comments about the injury. They haven't hid the fact that it pissed them off.

I agree that finding a new job is the logical answer. Again, I'm not looking for compensation. It's just tough to find something these days. But it's even tougher to swallow that I've poured my heart and soul into this job for 2 years and it has lead me no where. I've done everything the right way, persevered through the injury and the treatment since the injury and it got me no where.... Except having to take care of this labrum tear on my own dime!

Live and learn *sigh

(02-21-2012, 12:18 PM)Solar1s Wrote: Hello all. I injured my knee in November of 2011 while climbing an unstable ladder at work. My workplace ins company handled my claim very well, provided me with all the care I needed and after surgery and therapy, my knee has been feeling better than ever. The problem I am experiencing is that I feel I am being punished for getting injured. I was only with the company for 6 months before I got hurt. I love my job and I fought hard to get back. However, I feel like I am fighting a losing battle. I am still working at the same rate that I was hired at almost 2 years ago. I have employees that work under me that have gotten numerous raises while I've been kept at the same rate. despite leading these same employees on a daily basis, they make more than me. I've had supervisors make numerous comments questioning the legitimacy of my injury and my integrity. And in a very derogatory manor. But that doesn't really matter to me. I am very resilient and I do not allow that stuff to bring me down. The issue I am having is that I feel that since the injury, I am being held back on purpose and not being giving a chance to move up and succeed.

I am new here so you may find others with better advice then me. However if you can prove your case that you are being punished for reporting a legitimate injury, you should speak to an attorney. Also even thought you like your current job you may be better off finding another one. There nothing worst then giving your all and not being appreciated.

Another thing is that you said that you've been there for 2 years and nothing changed. This is just my thought, if you stay and do nothing I don't think your situation will change much.

(02-21-2012, 02:15 PM)jeepstang Wrote: he said the injury occured after 6 months but he has been there now for 2 years.

The OP said this;

The problem I am experiencing is that I feel I am being punished for getting injured. I was only with the company for 6 months before I got hurt. I love my job and I fought hard to get back. However, I feel like I am fighting a losing battle. I am still working at the same rate that I was hired at almost 2 years ago.

I just read into what was said.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Retaliation for filing JShaner13 1 896 10-06-2017, 03:08 PM
Last Post: 1171
  employer retaliation????? hurtnND 19 7,678 09-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Last Post: 1171
  retaliation after contacting congress constantpain 4 4,746 05-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Employer obligation for work restrictions and retaliation kimber 2 5,653 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Last Post: kimber
  Employer Retaliation for Work Comp-Help! bhindgreeneyes 6 12,141 12-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Last Post: gaucli
  Retaliation ckplichtajr 9 6,689 05-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Can anyone define retaliation from employer involved with WC Faith29 10 6,011 01-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Faith29