Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injured, then let go...
Sad 
I live in Wisconsin, and at the beginning of August I slipped while playing a game with a group of second graders. I called my employer and let him know that my ankle was hurt and I thought I needed medical attention and where should I go? I was told that I could go wherever I wanted as long as my insurance covered it. I am currently uninsured and didn't understand my worker's comp rights, so I did not seek medical attention and hoped it was just a strain. The next day I received an e-mail from my boss saying that the grant I work under had not been renewed, and that there was no longer a position for me. A few days later, my ankle was no better so I finally went to the doctor. I had three severe fractures, and had to have emergency surgery. I am unable to put any weight on it or drive for at least another 9 weeks (it's already been 3 weeks since the accident), but the doctor says that I could do a desk job as of this past Monday. Does anybody have any idea of how long I might be compensated by Worker's Comp when I am not able to get to a job for at least 9 weeks, I've been umemployed since the accident, and I could have technically returned to work this week (if I had work). I'm so confused! Sad

lawyer time my dear lawyer time
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/wc/workers/fileaclaim.htm

http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/wc/medical/me...ection.htm

http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/wc/workers/default.htm
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

To simplify...Is worker's comp required to cover me when I technically could do some form of work, but I have no job and no way to get to one?

The information you seek I put in the web links up above. You need to start by making a claim with your State. That is step #1
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:The information you seek I put in the web links up above. You need to start by making a claim with your State. That is step #1

Thanks...I have already done that though. That website was the first one that I went to after my injury, so I've been following the proper steps, but unfortunately, (unless I missed something, I'll look again) my situation is not covered in that site and I don't know my rights beyond the basic ones.

http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/wc/who_to_call.htm

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/wc/who_to_call.htm

Thanks!!

If I am reading correctly today. You have filed with the state. Next I would call the place of employment and find out the name and number of the insurance carrier. File a claim directly with them. Can you tell us more about your employment. Were you a teacher, teachers assistant? When you received medical help, did you tell the dr. that it happened at work? Have you called your local workers compensation office?
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

AQA Wrote:If I am reading correctly today. You have filed with the state. Next I would call the place of employment and find out the name and number of the insurance carrier. File a claim directly with them. Can you tell us more about your employment. Were you a teacher, teachers assistant? When you received medical help, did you tell the dr. that it happened at work? Have you called your local workers compensation office?

My (former) employer delayed in filing a claim and I did not hear from their insurance company until the beginning of this week, even though I was injured almost 3 weeks ago. They are currently seeking information from my doctor, but I have not received any compensation yet. I was employed as a summer camp group leader, although I had been with the employer for 10 months previous to summer as an Americorps member and had more of an administrative/ educational coordinator role. The doctors are aware that this is a workers comp case, I made sure to tell them that since I have no other insurance since my Americorps graduation. I have not called my local workers comp office.