Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help
Poll: How much is a finger worth?
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost a finger at work
Sad 
So I severed a finger on my dominant hand at work in september. Little finger which the doctors say is vital to strength and grip. They attempted to repair it but I am having it permanently removed next week. Anyone out there know ballpark figures for PPD payout??? Just wondering what the future holds for me since all I know is working with my hands and driving a truck.... I live in Minnesota

If memory serves me, some states do have a loss of use schedule. Others do not. Without knowing your state, I don't think anyone is going to be able to help.

Take Care
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Minnesota... sorry missed that info

Unlike most States, there is no definitive $$ amount attributed to the loss of a specific body part. Minnesota uses a % of whole body impairment as related to the particular body part to determine the compensation.

Once there is a percentage of impairment rating, you would use the following schedule of impairment benefits to arrive at a sum:

http://www.dli.mn.gov/WC/DispBenPpd.asp

In short, there is no way to determine a $$ amount for you until after the amputation, and following a permanency rating.
DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

AMA gives it about 2% whole body; so PD will be about 6 weeks of payments.
just my rough estimate.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

OK, 1171 - thanks for that.

In short, then, the IW would be eligible for 6 weeks at the current TTD rate.

By the way, I disagree that losing the pinkie finger is totally detrimental to grip strength. I had mine in a partial cast many years ago when I taught Defensive Tactics in the Police Academy. I had NO problem using the remaining fingers and thumb and had a tremendously strong grip.

It is your THUMB that is critical to grip strength as it is an opposing digit.

Still, sorry about your problem.
DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

Our thumbs are vital to grip and strength, I know...I have no use of either of mine. One is completely fused (to never bend anywhere again) the other partially fused with the remaining part so arthritic and stiff, it is as good as fused. My pinch strength is like 0 on one hand and 1 on the other. grip strength is not much more. I don't recall any of the tests using my pinky fingers. They gave me these devices to hold and squeze, some which I could not even hold with one hand like your supposed to.

But I am sorry that you will have to lose your finger, any loss is still a loss and hard to accept and get used to. I wish you well.
Live, Laugh, Love ~

Our thumbs are vital to grip and strength, I know...I have no use of either of mine. One is completely fused (to never bend anywhere again) the other partially fused with the remaining part so arthritic and stiff, it is as good as fused. My pinch strength is like 0 on one hand and 1 on the other. grip strength is not much more. I don't recall any of the tests using my pinky fingers. They gave me these devices to hold and squeze, some which I could not even hold with one hand like your supposed to.

But I am sorry that you will have to lose your finger, any loss is still a loss and hard to accept and get used to. I wish you well.
Live, Laugh, Love ~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impairment rating for missing middle finger tip ky tonyayounger72 2 1,840 03-16-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post: 1171
  CT - Full-Thickness Laceration Of the left ring finger -Workmans Comp Procedures? systemviper 4 5,567 11-07-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bugmann
  partial amputation of pinky finger G_Smith 2 4,666 02-15-2015, 01:02 PM
  Amputated finger Frankz1961 15 20,719 12-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Sad Company negligence cost my index finger bigtruckhank 1 4,356 10-08-2014, 07:56 PM
  Lost Index finger on right hand melglad 6 10,245 10-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Hand Injury Involving Middle Finger Tendon Razortceps 1 9,675 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
  Indiana-Index Finger-Settlement bradgt04 4 20,748 01-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Last Post: bradgt04
  Finger nerve damage worker2012 3 14,714 09-07-2009, 11:00 AM
  FINGER LOSS crunch179 2 8,416 05-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Last Post: AQA