Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My story...hope it helps someone
Just thought I’d share my story in hopes there might be some useful information for people.

I’ve had back issues for the past 20 years. I threw out my back when I was 18 working for my dad’s carpet cleaning business. I’ve spent the past 20 years going back and forth to a chiropractor who’s always been able to adjust me and get me back on my feet. Back in April 2011, I woke up one Saturday and couldn’t even stand. I spent the entire weekend crawling around my house waiting to get to my chiropractor on Monday.

I was unable to work due to my back. After 20 adjustments from my chiropractor he decided to send me for an MRI. I have 2 herniated disks. I had gone to a spine and pain institute for an evaluation. I was told surgery is a last resort and most of the time herniated disks will recover. It can take anywhere from 6-12 months. We decided to do and injection. The relief was minor. We decided to do a second injection. Workman’s comp denied it due to the first having little results. My Dr. appealed the rejection and I was able to get my second injection.

I started getting results from the second injection and was feeling 80% better. I got terminated from my own dad after 20 years of work. We got in an argument about hiring me a little helper so I could return to work and have help with all the lifting of heavy stuff. My dad felt his profit margin would not work. (long story) I ended up starting my own business cleaning carpets while being out on workman’s comp, preparing to return to work soon.

I was then sent to physical therapy by my PCP. There were a bunch of exercises I was not able to do along with certain stretches that were aggravating the nerve. The physical therapy seemed to be making me worse, or the injections were wearing off.

At this point workman’s comp sent me for a 6 month evaluation by a 3rd party Dr. He evaluated me and felt I was capable of “running my own business” (which I let out of the bag when the dr. asked me what I did for work, I told him what had happened) I received a termination letter from workman’s comp terminating me on the grounds of “being able to run my own business along with starting my own business”.

In Massachusetts our workman’s comp is non-prejudice for the first 6 months, and then they can challenge the situation. I’ve had to get an attorney involved. He feels he can get me back on workman’s comp as restricted duty. Workman’s comps attorney isn’t fighting the fact that I have started my own business or weather I’m capable of working or not. But, fighting that I’ve had previous issues with my back and this is not a new injury but a reoccurring one.

So I haven’t received any income from workman’s comp for almost 3 months now as this is all tied up in court. My back is still killing me and not capable of returning to work. I’m falling behind on all my bills and now looking at having to file bankruptcy. I’m being forced to have to go out and work trying to save the house. This is making my back worse along with who knows how actually working now is going to affect my workman’s comp.

I still have a long road ahead of me but I’ll post an update after my court case.

your own Daddy? wheres your Momma in this? sounds like a normal WC story but your own family thats just sad
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Working with and or for family is a recipe for disaster. 20 years is a long time to go without any bumps in the road, but as soon as $$$ becomes ans issue, your not family anymore. Sorry to hear this. I am in a fix with my inlaws, with my husbands business (which has been around for 21 years). It's going under due to the inlaws stealing $$$$, however my husband didn't know enough to seperate the business from the family part either...so he is to blame also....BIG mess!

Hope you can get well and move on in your own business and not hire family!!! Smile
Live, Laugh, Love ~

Working with and or for family is a recipe for disaster. 20 years is a long time to go without any bumps in the road, but as soon as $$$ becomes ans issue, your not family anymore. Sorry to hear this. I am in a fix with my inlaws, with my husbands business (which has been around for 21 years). It's going under due to the inlaws stealing $$$$, however my husband didn't know enough to seperate the business from the family part either...so he is to blame also....BIG mess!

Hope you can get well and move on in your own business and not hire family!!! Smile
Live, Laugh, Love ~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting to tell my story priss13 15 10,232 09-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Soon to end...I HOPE nycpal 1 1,980 08-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Last Post: 1171
  NEVER ENDING STORY HAVANSWER4U 3 6,013 05-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Just found forum...hope this helps! injuredinidaho 10 10,526 05-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Regrets
  Hope this is over soon sistylou 4 3,628 01-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Last Post: sistylou
  My Story HurtnSC 14 5,988 06-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Last Post: HurtnSC
  new and maybe sunk? hope not! vann1985 4 2,271 04-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Last Post: hurt at work
  My story is more than my injury! aceelectric 6 4,251 02-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Last Post: jayne
  I hope this helps imsckofit 12 7,939 10-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Last Post: CRABBY
  Some Info I hope it helps imsckofit 1 3,567 04-14-2007, 04:29 PM