Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
questions...
I injured my back at work in September, at first my case manager seemed to be invested in everything going on. As time went by, it's been very hard trying to get her on the phone. Physical therapy has helped me, I can now stand up on my own and get around but I'm still in pain and can't remain standing or sitting for a long period of time.

I was given a prescription for a night roll to wear while I sleep to offer support and a lumbar support pillow to place on any chair I'd be sitting in. That was back in late October and I still haven't heard an answer from her. My physical therapist called her and still nothing.

Last week I had a follow up with my doctor and he said he was going to refer me to an orthopedic doctor. I never hear anything from my case manager, I couldn't even get her on the phone to tell her I'd gone to my appointment. The doctor told me that the insurance company was starting to "tighten" up. Would be why I feel like I'm being given the run around? I've left messages like crazy and I don't even get a call back.

At what point should one seek out an attorney? This is such a stressful time, I haven't been to work since I got hurt back in September. So far I haven't had to pay for anything and I've been getting bi-weekly checks so I'm not sure I should get one involved, but it's SO frustrating that they're taking so long to get me to the next doctor. Both the doctor I have seen and the case manager seem to be more worried about the insurance company and what they're spending/will spend than on my well being.

I'm just over all of this and want this whole ordeal to be over with! Sad

(11-17-2011, 08:53 AM)Sadie Wrote: At what point should one seek out an attorney?

Right about now. It's already clear that the IC is beginning delay tactics in your treatment. You need some legal representation.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

Would I have any issues if I went ahead and spoke to attorneys even though the insurance company has never denied payments?

What happens as far as my job goes if I do get an attorney?

(11-17-2011, 12:34 PM)Sadie Wrote: Would I have any issues if I went ahead and spoke to attorneys even though the insurance company has never denied payments?

No issues with current benefits, as they're being paid. Understand that the IC (insurance company) will try to claim that the injury was non-industrial (not work-related) and may try to terminate your benefits, especially if the medical expenses begin to rise. An attorney can protect you from that.

Quote:What happens as far as my job goes if I do get an attorney?

Probably nothing, but it depends. Are you still working with or without medical restrictions ? You didn't say.

Also, if eligible, and you're out on TTD (temporary total disability), you might be able to initiate FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) to protect your job for up to 12 weeks.

There is never a guarantee that your employer will hold your job for you, especially in an "at will" State.

This also gets a bit complicated.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.