Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYS Disability Retirement & SSDI criteria?
Ok you two, please be nice, I appreciate all that you have researched and posted for me. Remember we are here to help each other. I too have read all of the above information and could have taken it all in either way, (I am not a lawyer/legal assistant) and that is why I probably don't know how to interpret this stuff, but I did pay SS taxes even though I worked for the Government, on a local level as they would say. Maybe that changes how to read this.
Ok you two, please be nice, I appreciate all that you have researched and posted for me. Remember we are here to help each other. I too have read all of the above information and could have taken it all in either way, (I am not a lawyer/legal assistant) and that is why I probably don't know how to interpret this stuff, but I did pay SS taxes even though I worked for the Government, on a local level as they would say. Maybe that changes how to read this.
Live, Laugh, Love ~

pas2355 - please note that I didn't address specifics of the OP's situation, as I don't have a clue what the specifics are. I provided some sources where he/she could dig a bit further and merely paraphrased what is presented in SSA's bulletins. You jumped to a conclusion that I was giving him/her definitive direction - I was not.

No worries. Have a nice day.
DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

Smile 

Ok I have read what everyone has said about the offsetting of SSDI / WC / and article 15 Disability Retirement. I can only add that I have a friend who is currently receiving all 3 types of payments. Her SSDI is offset by her WC but not by her retirement disability. Her retirement disability is due to an on the job injury. I dont know if that particular fact has anything to do with the offset or not. just thought i would post this if the same situation applies to anyone else.

(05-29-2012, 01:09 PM)soucysgirl1943 Wrote:
Ok I have read what everyone has said about the offsetting of SSDI / WC / and article 15 Disability Retirement. I can only add that I have a friend who is currently receiving all 3 types of payments. Her SSDI is offset by her WC but not by her retirement disability. Her retirement disability is due to an on the job injury. I dont know if that particular fact has anything to do with the offset or not. just thought i would post this if the same situation applies to anyone else.

Thanks for responding! I found out through all of the paperwork the NYS retirement system sent me when I was approved and started receiving payments that my $$$ is not affected/offset by SSDI or WC. So I am able to still collect my WC (which offsets my SSDI), my SSDI and my NYS Disability retirement with medical benefits.

It has been a long process with each agency, but not even a year for any one of them. My injuries were well documented, my surgeries left me permanently damaged to the point of realistically not being able to find a job that would allow me to perform safely and without extreme pain for any period of time and they obviously saw that as severe enough to grant me approvals, without any major fights . (My hands) I was turned down by SS the first time but approved by appeal through the mail (no appearances made by me or attorney) and approved by NYS retirement without any denials. But in the end this is still not where I want to be, at home collecting $$$ in pain!Sad
Live, Laugh, Love ~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can Work Comp Appeals Board order retirement? Amanda15 6 4,645 06-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Amanda15
  Calpers industrial disability retirement Barbell714 3 2,382 09-30-2019, 01:07 PM
Last Post: 1171
  New York State Retirement Disability Denied Slouray 9 22,573 05-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Jana
  Approved for NYS disability retirement........ sonny1 15 23,748 10-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Last Post: sonny1
  industrial disability retirement deojr 3 13,112 07-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Last Post: deojr
  Industrial Disability Retirement chasnrnbos 4 12,149 09-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Last Post: chrischris
  wc disability/social security disability coach 5 16,262 07-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  only 5 yrs to retirement 47brando 7 7,416 04-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Postal disibility retirement Jtmm1333 2 2,874 02-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  WC and 401K and retirement brown eyes 14 10,452 01-27-2008, 08:21 PM