Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settlement Offered
Hello,
All from Michigan!! While at work I hyper extended my arm catching a box that fell from 7' high. I was unable to have a MRI because of metalic implants so I had a Arthgram and that showed the torn rotator cuff. So I had surgery and then the 8 months of PT. I still had pain... So another surgery and they discovered a frayed/irriatted Lower head bicept tendon. So I had another procedure to take care of that. Now after the PT from that procedure I still have pain... Not as bad but its there constantly.
Now after the 2nd opinion Dr recomended another procedure with it being noted that there isnt much of a chance of significant improvements from this procedure.
Currently the Comp people have made a offer for a settlement of 5 yrs of benifit. I have no attorney because everything has went so well to this point. Should I get a attorney involved and is that a standard offer.

You'd be better off consulting with an attorney. If you're still facing surgery, there may be issues that will arise beyond 5 years. Cashing out now might not be in your best interest.
DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

If there is spefic guidelines involved what would be the benefit of getting a attorney ?

you don't have to buy out future benefits you can accept all future benefits as needed.
more on additional comp benefits available under michigan comp law
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/wca_PU...5317_7.pdf

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(11-10-2011, 02:35 PM)upguy Wrote: If there is spefic guidelines involved what would be the benefit of getting a attorney ?

You're actually talking about two different things. When you said the IC offered to settle (cash out) at a rate equal to 5 years of benefits, that equates to the weekly (periodic) wage loss benefits. You may not actually have 5 years of benefits remaining, as there may be a cap on the number of weeks you could draw, so they're probably using that as a reference point to come up with a figure.

The problem arises when you have no clue as to IF, WHEN, or WHAT medical treatment you might need AFTER 5 years, and that "settlement" may or may not cover the cost.

There are also issues of whether a WCMSA might be required if you're going to be eligible for SSDI within 30 months (2 1/2 years) of the settlement. This is required to protect Medicare from having to cover medical care for the work-related injury after settlement.

You are in a position now, where an attorney would do you more good than harm.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Desperate for answers California IC offered me cash to buy my life medical Sugarpuss44 5 3,906 08-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  offered part time work cbcalles 4 5,026 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Manley2
Question Structured now lum sum offered Silly 1 3,012 05-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Work Comp Along With Employer Offered Long Term Disability Insurance? injuredinidaho 15 34,010 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM
  ic offered a low amount.was choosing a hearing date a good idea? str8active 16 20,945 05-08-2012, 08:06 PM
  settlement offered toooo low need answers missmelody 11 10,865 09-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Last Post: sparkey
  questions to ask attorney about an offered settlement firefighter1188 7 18,783 08-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy