Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Limiting IC access to medical records
(10-17-2011, 09:14 PM)BooBoosNeck Wrote: In my case I found out they had requested ALL of my previous medical records. My jaw dropped when I saw all of the records they had collected. They have cd's containing copies of my mamograms for the last several years, had documents in my file that showed when I had a urinary tract infection and even when I had bronchitis several years ago. I understand they want to know if I had previous injuries but damn, come on!

CD's are a lot cheaper than hard copies.

Some of what they are looking for, in certain cases, is whether or not you've made other claims of illness or injury against another - even post-treatment claims against providers. Your medical records actually tell a lot about you.

I'll give you an example (and remember, I helped DEFEND IW's, not IC's) - if the medical records show a variety of minimal health issues that are treated by a medical provider, when some could have been self-treated, they conclude that you are more likely to exaggerate your injury claim, or at least the effects of it.

That's probably not applicable to your case, but, to mitigate the financial exposure, the IC's will look for anything that might weigh in their favor. It's a business - cost-cutting and overhead control is paramount.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

(10-18-2011, 08:30 AM)LeglEgl Wrote:
(10-17-2011, 09:14 PM)BooBoosNeck Wrote: In my case I found out they had requested ALL of my previous medical records. My jaw dropped when I saw all of the records they had collected. They have cd's containing copies of my mamograms for the last several years, had documents in my file that showed when I had a urinary tract infection and even when I had bronchitis several years ago. I understand they want to know if I had previous injuries but damn, come on!

CD's are a lot cheaper than hard copies.

Some of what they are looking for, in certain cases, is whether or not you've made other claims of illness or injury against another - even post-treatment claims against providers. Your medical records actually tell a lot about you.

I'll give you an example (and remember, I helped DEFEND IW's, not IC's) - if the medical records show a variety of minimal health issues that are treated by a medical provider, when some could have been self-treated, they conclude that you are more likely to exaggerate your injury claim, or at least the effects of it.

That's probably not applicable to your case, but, to mitigate the financial exposure, the IC's will look for anything that might weigh in their favor. It's a business - cost-cutting and overhead control is paramount.

LeglEgl,
You do a really outstanding job of explaining things, Thanks!!
Tongue I am in NM

more then half the time- especially when there are a lot of records --they don't review them at all.
they'll just send copies to the IME and let them pour thru them to see if there is anything relevant to the injury.
most carriers give adjusters high workloads so they really don't have time to read 6 inches or more (or 800mb) of copied records.

1171's razor (apologies to friar william): the most mundane reason is more likely then one that requires that you assume a more complex motivation.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  California only: WCAB is limiting appearances and filings 1171 1 279 03-18-2020, 06:40 PM
Last Post: 1171
  California only: WCAB is limiting appearances and filings 1171 1 201 03-16-2020, 03:53 PM
  Terminated for cause and human resource falsify records Lostandconfused 8 1,670 11-20-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Lostandconfused
  Claims Manager Accessed All Medical Records? shefallsdown 5 2,742 02-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  No Medical Records for IME John no Dough 1 2,398 08-02-2014, 07:05 PM
  Medical records not sent to AME....Help in CA IIGEMINI 8 8,244 04-02-2014, 12:59 PM
  Medical Records chrischris 0 2,032 10-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Last Post: chrischris
  Do current employers have access to past worker's comp. claims unsureAZ 6 15,132 09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Last Post: unsureAZ
  Seeking Pharmacy Records Bummer Knees 9 9,509 12-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  FL - privacy & medical records & HIPPA Aviatrix 19 25,696 07-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy