Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
georgia work comp issues
i filed for work comp benefits in ga and have been receiving benefits. i have also been required to use my FMLA for 12 weeks. i have been advised that at the end of the 12 weeks if i can not come back to work with a full release i will be terminated. but that i could also apply to be rehired once or if i get a full release to work with no restrictions. is this correct? can i be terminated if the doctor for the hospital will not release me and it was an on the job injury? what recourse do i have? i need lots of information. thank you

having a work injury does not give you immunity from termination.
the job protection provisions of the Family & Medical Leave Act are limited to 12 weeks and cannot be extended.
an employer is not required to keep a job open or create a new one.
you can find out more about FMLA here
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/p...fmlaen.pdf

ADA laws require that your employer discuss reasonable accommodations with you if you are realeased with work restrictions.

more on ADA here
http://www.ada.gov/
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(09-27-2011, 02:20 PM)nursepaulamae Wrote: i filed for work comp benefits in ga and have been receiving benefits. i have also been required to use my FMLA for 12 weeks. i have been advised that at the end of the 12 weeks if i can not come back to work with a full release i will be terminated. but that i could also apply to be rehired once or if i get a full release to work with no restrictions. is this correct? can i be terminated if the doctor for the hospital will not release me and it was an on the job injury? what recourse do i have? i need lots of information. thank you

I'm in Georgia.

Yes, in fact the employer is encouraged to interlink FMLA with any WC leave, although not all of them do. This merely provides for protection of your job while you are recovering from the injury. If you cannot be released to full duty without restrictions, the employer can (and often does) terminate you because you cannot "perform the essential functions of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation".

Now, on the surface, one would suspect that the ADA (now ADAA) might apply, if the employer can reasonably accommodate you, but you'd have to prove that. It seems cut and dry, but you would have to file an EEOC complaint.

According to the EEOC, the question that arises is this: May an employer require that an employee with a disability-related occupational injury be able to return to "full duty" before allowing him/her to return to work?

No. The term "full duty" may include marginal as well as essential job functions or may mean performing job functions without any accommodation. An employer may not require that an employee with a disability-related occupational injury who can perform essential functions be able to return to "full duty" if, because of the disability, s/he is unable to perform marginal functions of the position or requires a reasonable
accommodation that would not impose an undue hardship.

Still, this is a very complicated area of law, and it is difficult to properly address it in this forum.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

(09-27-2011, 04:15 PM)LeglEgl Wrote: [quote='nursepaulamae' pid='138821' dateline='1317147632']
i filed for work comp benefits in ga and have been receiving benefits. i have also been required to use my FMLA for 12 weeks. i have been advised that at the end of the 12 weeks if i can not come back to work with a full release i will be terminated. but that i could also apply to be rehired once or if i get a full release to work with no restrictions. is this correct? can i be terminated if the doctor for the hospital will not release me and it was an on the job injury? what recourse do i have? i need lots of information. thank you

I'm in Georgia.

Yes, in fact the employer is encouraged to interlink FMLA with any WC leave, although not all of them do. This merely provides for protection of your job while you are recovering from the injury. If you cannot be released to full duty without restrictions, the employer can (and often does) terminate you because you cannot "perform the essential functions of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation".

Now, on the surface, one would suspect that the ADA (now ADAA) might apply, if the employer can reasonably accommodate you, but you'd have to prove that. It seems cut and dry, but you would have to file an EEOC complaint.

According to the EEOC, the question that arises is this: May an employer require that an employee with a disability-related occupational injury be able to return to "full duty" before allowing him/her to return to work?

No. The term "full duty" may include marginal as well as essential job functions or may mean performing job functions without any accommodation. An employer may not require that an employee with a disability-related occupational injury who can perform essential functions be able to return to "full duty" if, because of the disability, s/he is unable to perform marginal functions of the position or requires a reasonable
accommodation that would not impose an undue hardship.

Still, this is a very complicated area of law, and it is difficult to properly address it in this forum.

[/quote]

(09-27-2011, 08:27 PM)nursepaulamae Wrote: [quote='LeglEgl' pid='138825' dateline='1317154503']
[quote='nursepaulamae' pid='138821' dateline='1317147632']

I have been told there is NO light duty for nurses. In case of an emergency you have to be able to perform all duties associated with the job. If I am terminated how long will my benefits continue? Will they ultimately offer me a settlement? If I continue to receive benefits would I be able to work in another field without loss of benefits?
Thanks,
Paula

workers comp is not health insurance.
it's your employers policy and coverage for your injury continues for as long as you have your claim against them-whether you still work there or not.
work comp has multiple benefits and each has their own criteria. medical and impairment would not be affected by new employment; you could not work and get temporary disability.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

As 1171 says, TTD will continue (or resume) if your employer cannot accommodate light duty. It does become an ADAA issue, but is difficult to pierce the bubble of what accommodation, if any, can and should be provided.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What to settle first work comp or personal injury - NY sickofpain2020 1 349 11-11-2020, 07:58 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Can Work Comp Appeals Board order retirement? Amanda15 6 3,673 06-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Amanda15
  Settlement question in Georgia Jmrbutlerbey 7 1,393 02-15-2020, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Jmrbutlerbey
  Work comp adjuster changing doctors CA kibby 12 3,876 06-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: richard_girling
Shy Work related/induced stress & workers comp heartworkerNC 7 7,502 02-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Last Post: TerryLewis
  ust now Can I quit my job and do freelance work during workers comp? caworkerscompqs 1 1,842 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
  Drawing umemployment off your work comp Bets 8 3,085 01-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
  Work Comp Lien with Fradulent Amounts samistheman 5 5,865 10-29-2018, 05:10 PM
  NY WORK COMP BOARD EXPANDING DRUG FORMULARY.... 1171 0 1,180 10-24-2018, 02:10 PM
  Work comp overpayment Golfgod00 2 2,091 07-28-2018, 06:45 PM