Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settlement Process Questions
*wisconsin case*

I met with my Lawyer to sign a " compromise agreement" that would pay for my medical and loss of wages. My question is; Aprx. How long does it take to receive my money? I might be mistaken, but I thought my lawyer said it would be 21 days from the time the judge signs off on it. How long does it take a judge to sign off on the agreement? How many days legally does the insurance company have to send me my check?

there is no time limit for the court to review and either approve or disapprove the agreement.
court schedules and workloads vary.
there is no time limit for payment but there is for when penalties begin to accrue.
that's why your lawyer said 21 days.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(09-21-2011, 12:48 AM)1171 Wrote: there is no time limit for the court to review and either approve or disapprove the agreement.
court schedules and workloads vary.
there is no time limit for payment but there is for when penalties begin to accrue.
that's why your lawyer said 21 days.

Ok, thank you for answering my question. I guess my question was kind of generic so I should have expected a generic answer.. Let me re-phrase... i was just wondering " typically, from others experiences ( best case, and worst case senerios ) just so I have an idea on what to expect.

Thank you for your speedy reply.

you're welcome.
I'll leave further replies to those from wisconsin that have had settlements and visit the forum.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I'm not in Wisconsin but to tell you in my case I won court ordered TTD in Aug a few years ago and it took them until the next Feb to start paying it to me. Every case is different and I hope you can start getting paid sooner then I did

(09-21-2011, 09:35 AM)Manley2 Wrote: I'm not in Wisconsin but to tell you in my case I won court ordered TTD in Aug a few years ago and it took them until the next Feb to start paying it to me. Every case is different and I hope you can start getting paid sooner then I did

I never got to court; i was out of work for a year from an injury.. My doctor and I felt there wasnt going to be a permanent injury. I did was was called " compromise agreement"; for my loss of wages, and medical bills. The insurance company and I signed the agreement and it was sent to the judge to approve it.

I hope you understand that what you signed is probably a C & R (Compromise and Release). This generally means that you have accepted an indemnity settlement on the injury itself (monetary settlement) and have released the ER/IC from liability for further medical expenses.

Depending upon your injury, you may or may not need further medical care. If you have any group health insurance, that most likely will NOT pay for treatment related to a work injury, so you'd be "out of pocket" for that.
DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

(09-21-2011, 05:39 PM)LeglEgl Wrote: I hope you understand that what you signed is probably a C & R (Compromise and Release). This generally means that you have accepted an indemnity settlement on the injury itself (monetary settlement) and have released the ER/IC from liability for further medical expenses.

Depending upon your injury, you may or may not need further medical care. If you have any group health insurance, that most likely will NOT pay for treatment related to a work injury, so you'd be "out of pocket" for that.

Yes; that was my understanding. I was first diagnosed with a dislocated knee, but after MRI and X-RAY's, work hardening and therapy it turned out to be less damaging than was first thought. My doctor and I felt that I had fully recovered. The only issue for me was the outstanding doctor bills and the loss of wages. My case was disputed, and I was on TTD for 1 year. So I signed this agreement with the understanding, my medical bills, and 1 years claims for loss of wages would be paid in 1 lump sum. I hope I made the right decision; my lawyer said it was the right decision if I felt that I fully recovered - and that is what I feel.

If that's the case, and your attorney agrees, you may have to accept that you've closed your case successfully. Good Luck.
DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

(09-22-2011, 08:29 AM)LeglEgl Wrote: If that's the case, and your attorney agrees, you may have to accept that you've closed your case successfully. Good Luck.

Yes, I understand that; and have accepted that. I just want to know the timeline of how this end process works.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Settlement Questions- Michigan chubbygodofthunder 11 1,263 02-05-2020, 11:05 PM
Last Post: chubbygodofthunder
  Settlement Questions ? I live in Illinois Bets 6 885 06-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Bets
  Expedited hearing process Lostandconfused 6 1,184 11-25-2018, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Lostandconfused
  Process for Settlements in Illinois InjuredinIllinois 8 1,677 11-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Insurance Co. Settlement Future Medical Questions Solin 3 2,201 03-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Solin
  Settlement for future medical questions Allboys 2 2,559 01-28-2018, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Allboys
  settlement talk have some questions jojo87 6 3,666 07-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
  Settlement questions Everafter 3 2,852 12-31-2016, 08:59 PM
  Ongoing Process injured78 1 1,905 09-22-2015, 12:07 PM
  MSA AND SETTLEMENT QUESTIONS ON CALIFORNIA WC CASE SINCE 1998 dnorcal 3 4,765 07-28-2015, 07:08 PM