Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moved Out of State, no new Doctor.
I lived in New York were I was injured and partially treated. I left New York because, with no job, it was too expensive to survive there and we left and moved to Texas to be with family. I'm now looking for a doctor here in Texas to treat me, but not one doctor I've called will take an our of state comp case for insurance. I'm at a loss of what to do and in great pain, almost warranting a trip to the er last night from it's severity. Any advice on what to do?

I wish I could tell you how to get a doctor there to take your case but I don't know the rules in Texas. But one thing I can say is if you need to go to the ER then don't wait. Pain is not something to just deal with or get use to it needs to be treated

(07-20-2011, 03:02 PM)Manley2 Wrote: I wish I could tell you how to get a doctor there to take your case but I don't know the rules in Texas. But one thing I can say is if you need to go to the ER then don't wait. Pain is not something to just deal with or get use to it needs to be treated

It is in my family. =( With no job, I have no money. I can't pay for any services at the er, unless they would take my comp. Since the local hospital is run by Scott and White, and they took about 2 weeks to tell me no, I doubt they would.

I don't think the ER can just refuse to provide treatment for your pain at that time. No they don't have to treat you long term but I think they have to help when you show up at the door. I'm sure somebody will come along and give you a better answer then I have. You might want to call a few lawyers near you and see what they say. The first visit should be free to talk with them and see what they can tell you

(07-20-2011, 02:53 PM)Lion731 Wrote: I lived in New York were I was injured and partially treated. I left New York because, with no job, it was too expensive to survive there and we left and moved to Texas to be with family. I'm now looking for a doctor here in Texas to treat me, but not one doctor I've called will take an our of state comp case for insurance. I'm at a loss of what to do and in great pain, almost warranting a trip to the er last night from it's severity. Any advice on what to do?

What city in Texas????

(07-20-2011, 03:27 PM)gotcha Wrote:
(07-20-2011, 02:53 PM)Lion731 Wrote: I lived in New York were I was injured and partially treated. I left New York because, with no job, it was too expensive to survive there and we left and moved to Texas to be with family. I'm now looking for a doctor here in Texas to treat me, but not one doctor I've called will take an our of state comp case for insurance. I'm at a loss of what to do and in great pain, almost warranting a trip to the er last night from it's severity. Any advice on what to do?

What city in Texas????

Killeen.

Lion,

I also live in the state of TX (Wichita Falls). Prior to getting medicare (2 years with no medical insurance or the funds to pay for Dr's) I went to the ER several times for my health issues. Most hospitals have plans in place to treat indigent patients. Just let the person who takes all of your medical information know that you have no insurance or funds available to pay for your care. You should then be contacted by someone in the billing/accounting department in regards to income, bills etc. It takes about a week for them to approve paying your bill, but at least it won't go on your credit report as unpaid.

On one occassion, I was taken to the ER by ambulance and ended up being admitted onto the floor for heart problems. I was in the hospital 3 days, had 2 MRI's, wore a halter monitor all 3 days, medications (including a nitro drip the entire time), 5 EKG's, and a stress test. Because of being indigent, the hospital wrote off my over $35,000 bill. As did the ambulance for the $750 charge for it's use, as well as the paramedics onboard (ridiculous charge when you live less than 3 miles from the hospital)

Do not be afraid to seek medical treatment from a hospital. Even if they won't give you indigent care, the worst that could happen is the bill goes unpaid and shows up on your credit report. Which I am sure wouldn't be the first debt to do so since you lost your job and had to move. I would rather see my credot hit the toilet, than my health or even possibly my life.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

(07-20-2011, 03:30 PM)Lion731 Wrote:
(07-20-2011, 03:27 PM)gotcha Wrote:

What city in Texas????

Killeen.

Sorry, don't know of any doctors in Killeen. I know of a doctor in Dallas....sorry I could not help.

Actually, I got off pretty well. My parents have been a great help and support and have been caring for me as if I was still a teen. The only things I've been hit with have been a semester of college loans and a very small credit card. All previous medical bills have been covered, since I was still living in New York and everyone jumps on a comp case there.

While my credit has been trashed quite a bit, I had been hoping to save it since I'm still very young and wanting to buy a house one day when things have settled. But the thought has been in the back of my mind to just destroy it and file for bankruptcy later.

My injury though, makes it hard to determine whether it really is an emergency I feel. I was in a car accident, minor, that took a toll on my right knee. I've had therapy, medication, surgery, you name it. And while it helped, it's been degenerating slowly since then to a constant pain and early onset osteoarthritis that came up in x-rays right before we had to leave. So I have my change in condition, it's proven and obvious. But I don't think any of it could threaten my life, just my quality of it. So I'm not really sure what the ER could even do for me. I always felt as if they were for broken bones, unexplained pains, and other panic sort of moments.

My advice is to keep calling around and keep calling. I am moving to north Carolina due to foreclosure on my home and couldn't find anyone at all. I called and called and finally found someone who took out state comp. They said they were the only one one in the area who took it.

Moral of the story? Keep calling until you find someone. You might need to drive, but at least you'll have someone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Help please Was on light duty wc doctor....new doctor out of work till .. Feelbad 6 3,134 01-25-2019, 11:45 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Has anyone successfully moved out of California with lifetime Medical? TreadingWater 10 11,797 07-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Sad Out of State Worker's Comp can't find doctor sugar8474 3 10,429 03-07-2017, 04:31 PM
  NC State WC employees and State Employee bonus CuriousOneNC 1 3,493 01-06-2016, 06:46 PM
  Mediation day moved up talbet 8 4,158 11-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Last Post: talbet
  Moved from NY to AZ StephanieS13 2 4,053 04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Last Post: StephanieS13
  Moved to another state = problems shatteredlight 9 9,811 08-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Do you want a state by state forum? admin 55 44,167 04-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  Moved Topic For More Input MJC 2 3,880 09-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Last Post: hurt at work
  P&S rating payouts (moved by admin from P&E Forum) pete64 8 17,637 08-20-2009, 05:06 PM