Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lump sum payment and SSDI
Hey all,

I will jist this, I was hurt at work 4 yrs ago, got approved for SSDI 2 yrs ago. The work comp ins company has called this a nucense claim or something like that and will settle the max Tennessee allows for such cases.

After yrs of being treated like a slip and fall at wal-mart, I agreed for my lawyer to push that through. His asst. called today saying be at the dept of labor to sign something and get my money next week, my lawyer would meet me there.

I'm here asking because he, my lawyer, is out til Monday and the Asst. is gone for the day. A bottom line is can I get the lump sum without decreasing my monthly SSDI legally? I had a friend say he thought if ppl on Disability got lump sums of money, SS would cut or stop their checks, unless it was a structured settlement. He is not certin, so here I am.

I know my lawyer could tell me, but if this settlement has to be re-written or something, I'd rather know asap so I can at least contact my lawyers asst and she would get a hold of him and etc etc, it's done sooner.

Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice with this matter,

Dave

(07-07-2011, 01:06 PM)dknxvll Wrote: Hey all,

I will jist this, I was hurt at work 4 yrs ago, got approved for SSDI 2 yrs ago. The work comp ins company has called this a nucense claim or something like that and will settle the max Tennessee allows for such cases.

After yrs of being treated like a slip and fall at wal-mart, I agreed for my lawyer to push that through. His asst. called today saying be at the dept of labor to sign something and get my money next week, my lawyer would meet me there.

I'm here asking because he, my lawyer, is out til Monday and the Asst. is gone for the day. A bottom line is can I get the lump sum without decreasing my monthly SSDI legally? I had a friend say he thought if ppl on Disability got lump sums of money, SS would cut or stop their checks, unless it was a structured settlement. He is not certin, so here I am.

I know my lawyer could tell me, but if this settlement has to be re-written or something, I'd rather know asap so I can at least contact my lawyers asst and she would get a hold of him and etc etc, it's done sooner.

Dave

no.
income from workers comp will require a SSDI offset.
more here
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10018.html
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(07-07-2011, 02:13 PM)1171 Wrote:
(07-07-2011, 01:06 PM)dknxvll Wrote: Hey all,

Dave

no.
income from workers comp will require a SSDI offset.
more here
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10018.html

Hey, thanks for the reply. So there is no such thing as wording it to show it as payments to avoid my checks to stop or lessen the amount of my SS checks? I have been roaming allover the net and found something about a Utica-Mohawk Agreement??

Dave

you are correct your lawyer will know how to do this but it has to be done before you sign the settlement papers
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

I settled earlier this year and also receive SSDI. Just make sure your attorney uses the the correct language in the settlement papers (Utica-Mohawk Agreement) and you will be okay.

(07-07-2011, 02:57 PM)jayne Wrote: you are correct your lawyer will know how to do this but it has to be done before you sign the settlement papers

Thanks Jayne, that is awesome news! Had it not been for my friends 'he heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy' thing, I would have walked right in the labor office and signed for my check....... gotta give props to the 'grapevine gossip' so to speak Wink

I see by ur post numbers, ur not just a fly-by-night member, so is this something that the lawyer can easily draw up and or is this something that can be easily changed?

Please don't tell me the work comps lawyer have to have a hand in it Sad

Dave

(07-07-2011, 03:04 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: I settled earlier this year and also receive SSDI. Just make sure your attorney uses the the correct language in the settlement papers (Utica-Mohawk Agreement) and you will be okay.

Very nice, congrats! I know I'm beyond ready to get this behind me...been a flippin nightmare!

http://www.workerscompensation.com/forum...?tid=10984

(07-07-2011, 03:16 PM)freebird Wrote: http://www.workerscompensation.com/forum...?tid=10984

So, pretty much my lawyer should know how to word it so it doesn't 'offend' the SSA, and gets it 'done', correct?

(07-07-2011, 03:25 PM)dknxvll Wrote:
(07-07-2011, 03:16 PM)freebird Wrote: http://www.workerscompensation.com/forum...?tid=10984

So, pretty much my lawyer should know how to word it so it doesn't 'offend' the SSA, and gets it 'done', correct?

Spread language..... I would take a copy of what Timothy Belt uses and show it to my Attorney. I would not settle without the spread language in the settlement. It could cost you thousands.......

(07-07-2011, 03:28 PM)freebird Wrote:
(07-07-2011, 03:25 PM)dknxvll Wrote:

Spread language..... I would take a copy of what Timothy Belt uses and show it to my Attorney. I would not settle without the spread language in the settlement. It could cost you thousands.......

"Spread language"? "Timothy Belt"? You lost me friend...
*** nevermind, found ur thread with Timothy Belts "spread language thing.***

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had my lump sum settlement aproved Jojoman211 7 11,223 01-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Last Post: 1171
  California 3% payment increase 1171 0 666 06-27-2018, 01:35 PM
  OH Claim Payment W/CPTclaim 1 1,412 07-25-2016, 11:35 AM
Smile 1st offer / Lump sum settlement Mongrel_Money 20 24,942 05-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Mongrel_Money
  Partial Lump Sum for Debt Questions Mongrel_Money 5 4,893 05-02-2015, 08:47 PM
  shall not redeem liability for the payment QUESTION??? BADHABIT12 1 2,659 04-28-2014, 08:46 PM
  Payment of PD?? Help! Treeburn 2 3,787 08-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Treeburn
  over payment of benefits thesloans 1 2,683 08-06-2013, 08:24 PM
  Lump sum after being released to full duty?? Vicksquick7 1 7,120 02-03-2012, 04:17 AM
  sdi stopped payment pending qme results kylecalifornia 5 14,215 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Last Post: kylecalifornia