Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birthday Boy Hot Tar Burn Victim Update
To anyone that has not seen prior posts, see this post

Thanks to all for all your advice and help. I spoke with several attorneys today and North Carolina attorneys advised that Virginia Law will be in effect even if heard in NC. Speaking with a VA lawyer this afternoon informed me that you cannot sue your employer in VA. The roofers subcontract to a company that subcontracts my employer's labor, so the roofer is essentially my employer. I cannot pursue any third party liability case. Instead I have to live with WC settling me money that is rightfully mine (proper wages) and the careless company and their workers are not liable for damages done to my present and future.

I understand WC takes care of expenses and minimal wages, but I will lose so much from this tragic accident.
Does anyone feel a competent person can educate themselves online without a lawyer to pay 25%? My parents are helping me pull out a loan just to make my minimum payments on existing debt. I cannot afford to lose any more of my money from someone's careless mistake.

I am so furious at the VA system. I don't want to sue to get rich, I just want to be reimbursed to the life I had before someone didn't check to see if anyone was underneath where they were spreading HOT TAR.

I apologize for my lashings, I am not in a good mood right now Sad

Attached are recent pictures of the healing process to the major affected areas. [attachment=279] [attachment=280]On Monday I find out when my skin graft is for my head, and how much area it will affect.

~Matt

oh mercy that makes me hurt just to look at it...............You may have an ombudsman there in VA to help you....but most lawyers are worth their weight if you get a good one........the problem is if you dont have a % of disabilty you wont get a settlement just your TTD....I think I read some where some states pay for scars.....Good luck Matt and come on down to the OFF TOPICS we have a bit of fun there and just try and help lift moods,play games and fuss a bit
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Bless your heart! I am so sorry you are going through this. It had to really hurt and now you have to go through the grafts which can't be comfortable. I am sorry you are going through this. I think it is a shame that you can't have a third party law suit. It sounds like the roofers were truly negligent.
If Va supplies good, easy to understand information and if they have a good obudsman, you can try it. If you think there is one thing you don't understand, get an attorney.
I wish you the best of luck!

I am in Va. and yes they do pay for scaring or so my Att says.

I was told by a Va atty they pay for up to 60 weeks of your weekly 2/3 pay for scarring. But i did not get scarring on my face or anything of the sort. I'd be lucky to get a quarter of that im sure. 15 weeks at $380 is a slap in the face for what i've gone through. Yes, something is better than nothing, but it's a shame to be insulted.

Hey Matt, that looks just awful. IMHO, if and ONLY IF you are receiving all benefits that you are due under what ever states law is covering you, you might be safe to wing it with thehlep of an obundsmen and a LOT of learning the laws for VA WC. Don't leave anything to chance and know enough to know when/if you are in over your head. If an attorney can get you the additional 25% by increasing your claims value you may well be aheaad to get an attorney prior to settlement. In the man time so long as all your benefits are being paid as they are supposed to be I wouln't sweat it. Take care, gotta run BB 8 about to start so I gotta run.

ND
Injured Female, OTR Truck Driver, from the state of Georgia.

Hi,
I would try for every cent I could get! You are scarred for life....and have been through the painful burn victim healing treatments. How about your hair? Is is going to grow back ?, you're a young man!
IMO, I'd lawyer up and put up a stubborn fight.
Take care & prayers to you, LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cement burn from cement plant in Colorado viprit 3 707 03-10-2019, 02:18 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Slip and fall causing a burn burnedinkc 1 3,113 03-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Burn victims bronzegle 9 4,518 06-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Last Post: jayne