Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need answers neck surgery question
I have a question, but I first want to thank everyone that has helped me in the past. Thank you!
Now, I just returned from the doctor that WC has been sending me to. I’ve had two shots in my neck for my bulging disk, c5 c6. The shots have not helped and yesterday he told me I will need surgery since pt and the shots have not helped me. I told him that I realize that the pain in my neck and shoulder has increased over the months. (My injury occurred in Sept) He told me there nothing else he can do so I can either have the surgery or learn to live with the pain. By the time they finished with me they have given me two weeks to make up my mind.
I wanted to talk with my lawyer about it, but she is out of time until Monday. I’ve not been speaking to the nurse that is handling my case (I haven’t heard from her all month until this past Tuesday and she left a message asking me how I’m doing and not to forget my appt). I’m upset with them too. Last month WC told me lawyer that I just have a “soft tissue” injury and they are stopping my checks. I was told that somehow it can be reinstated with back payment if the doctor does something, I don’t know. I’m so frustrated right now; I just want to get this over with. I did receive my monthly check from my employer yesterday and while WC was sending me checks, work did also to make the total close to what my salary really is. But this time, it was a little more so I just figured they have to make up for some of the money I’m not getting now from WC.
I guess I’m asking (if this is not too confusing) should I have the surgery. Should I just lean to live with the pain. I forgot to mention that they will take a small piece of bone from my hip to use). Can I refuse surgery and start look for a second opinion. Right now it is just my neck he is talking about since he said he see nothing wrong with my lower back and should not be having issues there. By the way, I live in Oklahoma if that helps. Oh, forgot to add, he did notice that my left hand is weak and having problems using it. Still has me listed a can do light duty with 10lb weight limit. (can’t even lift right now)
Thank you

yes you can refuse the surgery and look for other medical opinions but comp will likely stop the disability payments as you will be at MMI.
you can request a second opinion from the carrier. if it is denied you can make a request thru the comp court.
i suggest you find out from your doctor exactly what kind of surgical procedure is being offered and research it.

I suspect there is a high failure rate and many are worse off.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Samsmom,

I am sorry to hear that your having to endure this matter. I am coming close to what you are going through. My attorney and Orthopeadic are thinking that I have high cervical nerve damage in the C-1/C-2 area that has been giving me so much trouble that Neuro meds are doing nothing but making me more messed up. Now in Georgia where I am form. My attorney told me that no doctor can make me take any meds or forced to under go any surgical proceedure without my expressed consent. As far as whether to have the proceedure or not. I would say that is really up to you, and in my case really thinking about it seriously. I am tired of living with pain everyday and all of the other crazy stuff I experience with no end in sight. My Neuro put me on a light duty fours a day with a lifting restriction of 20 lbs. I can barely hold onto anything before my left hand goes numb and my right spasm out of control. My job requires alot of heavy lifting on average of 50lbs or more all day. I would definitly get a second opinion from a great Neurosurgeon. My best advice, if your attorney is out of town. You should get intouch with your state's WC board and tell them the situation. See if their paralegal is in the office and tell them the situation, and that you need guidance like right now. Definitly say nothing to the case manager. I hope this helps you.

I had the the cervical surgery and it failed ....I got no relief....would I do it again no way on earth.....they used a cadaver bone on me....I had it done in Tulsa Okla.....I have daily migrains.....I did get some relief here lately with a drug called Topamax.....you may wanna ask your Dr about it.....but be warned if you take it you wont be able to drink any sodas they just taste nasty....strange side effect....but it did lessen the headaches....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

I took topamax, it lowered my immune system and I got really sick.. I should have went to the hospital. I could not breathe at all... It also gave me weird numbness on my face another thing that scared me. I haven't been on it.

Like Jayne I have major bad migranes and Topamax was given to me. I didn't like it maybe it will do better for you.

(04-29-2011, 10:24 AM)Samsmom Wrote: I have a question, but I first want to thank everyone that has helped me in the past. Thank you!
Now, I just returned from the doctor that WC has been sending me to. I’ve had two shots in my neck for my bulging disk, c5 c6. The shots have not helped and yesterday he told me I will need surgery since pt and the shots have not helped me. I told him that I realize that the pain in my neck and shoulder has increased over the months. (My injury occurred in Sept) He told me there nothing else he can do so I can either have the surgery or learn to live with the pain. By the time they finished with me they have given me two weeks to make up my mind.
I wanted to talk with my lawyer about it, but she is out of time until Monday. I’ve not been speaking to the nurse that is handling my case (I haven’t heard from her all month until this past Tuesday and she left a message asking me how I’m doing and not to forget my appt). I’m upset with them too. Last month WC told me lawyer that I just have a “soft tissue” injury and they are stopping my checks. I was told that somehow it can be reinstated with back payment if the doctor does something, I don’t know. I’m so frustrated right now; I just want to get this over with. I did receive my monthly check from my employer yesterday and while WC was sending me checks, work did also to make the total close to what my salary really is. But this time, it was a little more so I just figured they have to make up for some of the money I’m not getting now from WC.
I guess I’m asking (if this is not too confusing) should I have the surgery. Should I just lean to live with the pain. I forgot to mention that they will take a small piece of bone from my hip to use). Can I refuse surgery and start look for a second opinion. Right now it is just my neck he is talking about since he said he see nothing wrong with my lower back and should not be having issues there. By the way, I live in Oklahoma if that helps. Oh, forgot to add, he did notice that my left hand is weak and having problems using it. Still has me listed a can do light duty with 10lb weight limit. (can’t even lift right now)
Thank you

I also live in Oklahoma, and had cervical fusion, this sounds like what they are suggesting to you by taking the iliac bone graph from your hip. My surgery was done in June of 2010, and I have not had much success, I am still in daily pain and have limited range of motion, but like someone else said, you can decline to have the surgery but be prepared for the IC to stop your TTD checks immediately. Mine were stopped a year and a half BEFORE I ever had surgery, I know that makes no sense. So I have been waiting for someone to enforce the supreme courts order and pay me, I have been waiting since sept of last year when I won. If you decide to do the surgery be prepared for a long recovery, it's not easy and I'm not even sure if it was worth it. So I'm still suffering in pain and am broke due to non payment of my benifits.
(04-29-2011, 03:32 PM)jayne Wrote: I had the the cervical surgery and it failed ....I got no relief....would I do it again no way on earth.....they used a cadaver bone on me....I had it done in Tulsa Okla.....I have daily migrains.....I did get some relief here lately with a drug called Topamax.....you may wanna ask your Dr about it.....but be warned if you take it you wont be able to drink any sodas they just taste nasty....strange side effect....but it did lessen the headaches....

Tulsa must not know what they are doing, hmmmm thats where I had my fusion done last June, holy crap I would NOT do it if I had it do over again, I also deal with migranes which I never had before and quite a bit of nerve damage........

My Dr is now retired....but I have spoken to many people who have had this surgery and not many got long term relief...after the surgery I spoke to my PCP and he told me if I had asked him before he would have told me to not do it for many reasons.....its not a surgery that has a good track record...I am a natural redhead and I scar alot....the good thing is I spoke to him before I let them open by lower back...I had a darn good lawyer and came out of it Okay except for the daily pain but I had that before.....any surgery that deals with your spine stay away unless you have no other choice

Jayne i am with you, if i had it to do over no way would i do it again, and like you jayne no way will i let them cut my back open. They will have to wait untill i can no longer walk. Lots of us would not do the cedrvical surgrey again, i had to go for a second cervical surgrey because the harware shifted and then they had to do a 3 level fusion, so that can happen to anyone.
Cervical Fusion 2003, c5-c6. Herniated and damaged Disc L1- L4-L5 S1. Lumbar Spinal Cord stimulator implant 09-2008. Cervical ACDF revision with hardware c4-c5-c6-c7 Sept 2009.
SSDI approved 3-2010. NOW OFFICIALY RETIRED

Tongue
(04-29-2011, 10:24 AM)Samsmom Wrote: I have a question, but I first want to thank everyone that has helped me in the past. Thank you!
Thank you
Hello Friend, I'm in Cali, but had the same issue but I had level 3-4-5-6, I researched this for years as I didnt want the surgery either. I found a laser institute in Florida Bonati Laser and I sent them my MRI's that I got from my doctor either in the form of an X-Ray Disc and sent it to them and found out that I was a candidate for Laser treatment, at the same time I fought with my attorney (who wanted the surgery because I would get more money) and the workers comp who said the AME would have to recommend it. I fought for 4 years and my neck got worst. I originaly only had 2 disc out but it got worst (4 now) the workers comp sent me to a second and even 3rd doctor to get an opinion, they all said the same thing "NECK FUSION" I was scared to death, they said they could take the bone from a donor so I wouldnt have to have it taken from my hip. As time went by my neck got worst so I did the fusion on 4 levels with metal plates in front and screws and then they went threw the back and put in rods and clamps and cages and also the bone graph. Its been 4 months now and I'm doing fine but it take 6 months to a year for the screws and graph to take. If I would have done it sooner when only 2 disc were out I wont have so much metal and surgery front and back. You need to tell your attorney you want a seond opinion and if they say you need the fusion then do it before it gets worst. OH it took almost 3 years to find out that the pain in my left shoulder was because of a full layer tear and not comming from my neck and the weakness in my hands was because the disc's where pinching off the nerve's in both arms. If you wait too long the bone spir's start to develope and will cause pain down your back, if you sit forward to help releave your neck it will cause pain down your back. So good luck and get it done if you can do the "Laser" its so much better and will put you back to your normal life, once you have fusion you can never do any other treatment again in your life...Sista Tee

Attached Files
.jpg   my new neck brace.jpg (Size: 67.35 KB / Downloads: 11)

dont you just love spammers.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is workers comp responsible for er neck surgery Sassy616 3 3,984 08-01-2016, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Richard+Catz
  need some answers elbowinjury101 1 2,996 03-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Post Surgery Question darrinb 7 6,872 11-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Last Post: darrinb
  Help need answers Kuku 13 10,845 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Rotator cuff surgery and Neck sugery gowen64 17 25,729 01-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Last Post: BooBoosNeck
  Any Answers? dbusic77 14 11,874 01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Last Post: dbusic77
  A question about cervical surgery & lucency Bummer Knees 4 16,677 03-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Cervical_Fusion
  Preparing for neck surgery, a question? Bummer Knees 10 19,583 01-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Tucker
  Shoulder question and TTD before having surgery??? NVworker 10 13,861 03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Last Post: NVworker
  neck help doubletrouble 10 10,080 12-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Last Post: doubletrouble