Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just out of curiousity
I was told (not by my lawyer) that anyone who receives a settlement from their IC, any outstanding judgments, liens, or collections would be taken from your settlement. How true is this? Or is it anything that WC didn't pay for that was sent to collections? I found this quite interesting, and just was curious as to the answer. Maybe Mr. Belt can help with this one.

Thanks!

nope.
only liens related to you claim will be allowed.
the only outside attachment would be for child support.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Just be careful because in my wifes case her lawyer didn't get all the bills paid by WC and now they keep coming after us. Now in the settlement papers we took to court it spells out that all these bills were to be paid by WC but they were not. Her lawyer will not talk with us and the firm he worked for says it is not theirs because he doesn't work for them any more.

Isn't it amazing how people tell you information that just isn't absolutely true at all. Thank you 1171 and Manley for your input.

I'm not sure what state you are in, but here in PA the only lien that we have to satisfy would be for child support and some forms of welfare benefits. However, that is not the same thing as saying that other lien holders will not come after you individually, and it is possible that if they get wind of the settlement before distribution, that they can file and obtain an order to attach your settlement.

(04-02-2011, 08:41 PM)mz_ding paid='133253 Wrote:I was told (not by my lawyer) that anyone who receives a settlement from their IC, any outstanding judgments, liens, or collections would be taken from your settlement. How true is this? Or is it anything that WC didn't pay for that was sent to collections? I found this quite interesting, and just was curious as to the answer. Maybe Mr. Belt can help with this one.

Thanks!

I am in the state of PA.

Thanks Mr. Belt for clarifying. I was just having a conversation with someone who made that statement, and was just curious as to the correct answer.

The best solution would be not to give any info to bill collectors or any kind of debt collectors... I'm from wi, and had ins through the state and had to sign a lien agreement stating any settlement award that I recieve would have a lien against it to obtain any medical that was due to my injury that wc does not pay... It was somthing I wouldnt sign without my attorney's knowledge and he took care of it..