No
100.00%
2 100.00%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd Surgery Would you do it?
Hey guys I've had 2 slap repair surgeries done by the same surgeon. I am still in chronic pain, not as bad as some or even most on here, but it causes me to suck in my breath or stop walking at times. I have been told by a new surgeon that he is sure that the issue is scar tissue under my bicep muscle which is creating all the pain and lack of movement in my arm. After my last surgery I had a reaction to the anesthia, nothing too severe I think, just threw up about 7 or 8 times in 4 hours, finally fell asleep and woke up fine, it was just a bit scary. So my question is would you allow another surgery and hope to be pain free and go back to work, or would you just live with the pain?
I guess part of what is persuading me is I miss a lot of things from my old life, running canoeing caving, just the feeling of being a part of something that I no longer have.
I know no one can make my decision and I am not trying to pass the buck, just wondering what yall would do in my situation. If it matters to anybody I hurt myself when I was 25, now two years later I have not been able to lift more then 10 lbs.

To do or not to do, I think is a question we all ask ourselfs. Same as could of, should of, its hard to face the fact of never being able to do the things we have done before. If there was a gaurantee, I would take it in a heart beat just to have my life back.

I uderstand what you are saying. Unfortunately you need to continue. As you know. In the state of Texas. Medical for the injury is for life. If you are thinking about retraining or school check out DARS,

My sleeping pills and meds are kicking in. If you want some info on dars. Ask me tomorrow.,
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

(03-06-2011, 04:06 AM)AQA Wrote: I uderstand what you are saying. Unfortunately you need to continue. As you know. In the state of Texas. Medical for the injury is for life. If you are thinking about retraining or school check out DARS,

My sleeping pills and meds are kicking in. If you want some info on dars. Ask me tomorrow.,

I want sleeping pills and some pain pills that actually work.

Could I would I Sould I will always be in your mind
Cervical Fusion 2003, c5-c6. Herniated and damaged Disc L1- L4-L5 S1. Lumbar Spinal Cord stimulator implant 09-2008. Cervical ACDF revision with hardware c4-c5-c6-c7 Sept 2009.
SSDI approved 3-2010. NOW OFFICIALY RETIRED

Sounds like a real common debate then. How do we make the decision? I mean should I keep hoping that they can make my shoulder better, that it is really a fluke that I am in as much pain as I'm in? Or should I accept my losses and just deal with this pain? I know its weak and I know it can't compare to the pain that some of you guys are in, but the pain is never ending so yah.

If you have this 3rd surgery check into having a 'bier block' anesthesia if possible and twilight sleep. It would rule out most anesthesia problems. I'd also ask about a second opinion.

(03-07-2011, 09:06 PM)bodybuilder1958 Wrote: If you have this 3rd surgery check into having a 'bier block' anesthesia if possible and twilight sleep. It would rule out most anesthesia problems. I'd also ask about a second opinion.

Body this is the 2nd opinion. The first one thought it was a coricoid impingement, this one says its essentially frozen shoulder.
I don't know its hard to make these kind of decisions every other surgery has ended up in more pain. But I don't think I'm willing to feel like this every day for the rest of my life.

It is hard isn't it. I know exactly how you feel since I also enjoy kayaking. It's about the only real outdoor thing I can do anymore sport wise. I used to bike miles and miles, averaged about 80 miles a month with my husband. Four knee surgeries and like you, each one left me a bit worse off. I now have approval for a TKR via the court system. Can't wait to get back up on that bike and hit the road. Plus I'm debating which doctor or lawyer to shove the cane up on.

LOL who said you had to choose?