Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TENNESSEE - Question regarding hypertension and more
My husband was injured in Oct. and sustained a cervical injury. Needless to say he has C-3 to C-7 fused and a plate now in place and injured his lower by that he had degenerative changes in. He has never had any problems with sexual dysfunction before his accident but does now. It is not all from pain, although he does have pain most of the time controlled by pain meds. He went to do his FCE last week and it could not be done because his pressure was 180/110 and never got lower than 171/107. We were told to go to his primary physician by the Physical Therapist. We did and needless to say they have now had to put him on two different pressure meds to get it down.

He never had blood pressure or sexual problems before. I have read that these are rateable conditions but do not know much more than that. I assume we need to let the nurse case manager know and go from there. I had already told her we had to reschedule.

Can anyone give me any insight on this? I don't believe his neurosurgeon who has been his treating physician will want to rate these latter two problems.

Has anyone had these problems after their injuries and how was it handled.

Pain can cause high blood pressure, I speak from experience.

The norm for me is low blood pressure 80/60 but with my injuries and the pain my BP often runs 150/110 or higher.
My primary tells me this is due to the pain, I take pain meds and the BP will go a little lower but is still on the high side.

We asked our primary if pain would cause this and he said yes but not more than +15 on both numbers. His pressure was always 115 or less/maybe 75 so it is a bit scary. Back in December he saw our primary for sudden weight loss after of 20lbs after his surgery (we were concerned something else my be going on). He is thin to begin with. Anyway, in December his pressure was 145/86 and at that time the doctor said could be from pain, but when he saw him this time, he said he had to put him on something to get it down. It was just way too high.

He was hoping to get the FCE out of the way for the neurosurgeon to rate him and give restrictions for returning to work. Needless to say we will try again this Wednesday if his pressure is ok. He is a workaholic and I'm afraid he is pushing himself to get back to work too soon. He is being seen at a pain management clinic now.

His employer will work with his restrictions I'm sure. But he is 63 now, hoping to work to 70 to get the most out of his retirement pay. This injury has thrown a wrench into that plan I'm afraid.

Good luck Sammi67

Never heard that on the high PB and the numbers, I will ask my primary as my BP is way high when I am in a lot of pain but onece the pain reduces the numbers drop to near normal.

Thanks! I guess it depends on the doctor. Hubby has a high pain tolerance, so for him to take his pain meds I know he hurts!

That is also my problem, the nurses at the hospital describe me as having a high tolerence for pain and a low tolerence for meds.

It is a known fact, pain causes the bp to go up.. Before I was injured mine ran around 138/80 after, it jumped about 10 on each side. About 1 year later pain got worse and was running 160 to 170 and 100 to 110, Dr said it was pain and stress contributing to the numbers. I now take twice the dosage for my bp. But some meds will make bp rise for instance, I took celebrex 2 times aday and going down to 1 a day dropped the high end down about 5..

This was a situation I tried to address with wc and had no luck.. Lawyer says it would be to hard to prove with my condition having high blood presure to begin with... I am couris how this will un fold for you's.......I wish you luck and tell hubby not to push so hard on returning...

you may be able to add the high blood pressure but I doubt the sexual problems but those could be caused by the hi blood pressure
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(02-27-2011, 01:34 PM)bronco54501 Wrote: It is a known fact, pain causes the bp to go up.. Before I was injured mine ran around 138/80 after, it jumped about 10 on each side. About 1 year later pain got worse and was running 160 to 170 and 100 to 110, Dr said it was pain and stress contributing to the numbers. I now take twice the dosage for my bp. But some meds will make bp rise for instance, I took celebrex 2 times aday and going down to 1 a day dropped the high end down about 5..

This was a situation I tried to address with wc and had no luck.. Lawyer says it would be to hard to prove with my condition having high blood presure to begin with... I am couris how this will un fold for you's.......I wish you luck and tell hubby not to push so hard on returning...

The only stressor he has for hypertension would be "He smokes". However, all his blood work and pressure before the injury was normal. So, the elevated pressure I believe is the Pain and stress of him being out of work. That's my take anyway. We shall see. Thanks for the response will keep you posted.
(02-27-2011, 01:38 PM)jayne Wrote: you may be able to add the high blood pressure but I doubt the sexual problems but those could be caused by the hi blood pressure

I believe it could be because of the stress, pain and high blood pressure combine. It has not been easy on him that's for sure!

Sammi does he take anykind of narcotics. Narcotics can and will cause sexual dysfunctions. That may be the sexual problem
Cervical Fusion 2003, c5-c6. Herniated and damaged Disc L1- L4-L5 S1. Lumbar Spinal Cord stimulator implant 09-2008. Cervical ACDF revision with hardware c4-c5-c6-c7 Sept 2009.
SSDI approved 3-2010. NOW OFFICIALY RETIRED

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  insurance waiting game in Tennessee? slang421 6 2,363 04-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Labral Tear Tennessee elifinoasaurus 1 2,228 02-05-2017, 01:39 PM
  SLAP Tear Tennessee dookiestinks18 6 3,851 12-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Big Business at War against Tennessee Workers 1171 0 1,605 03-26-2015, 04:26 PM
  I think I screwed up totally, Now what to do?? In Tennessee Tizz 6 8,744 10-30-2011, 02:59 PM
  Foot problems in Tennessee wingnut 9 7,493 09-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Lilly