Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TN/settlement agreement legally binding?
My husband lives, works, and was injured in TN in May of 2010. He was on restricted/light duty until September.

He has followed up as directed, and completed 2 FCEs. Both of which he has received the same rating, which is 2% to the body as a whole (lower back). The WC doc has given permanent restrictions. His employer will not allow him to return to work and have not granted a transfer/hire to a position within the perimeters of the restrictions.

He signed and returned a settlement agreement from the claims examiner, for the amount of approx. $14k in early November. We just received notice from their lawyer to go over the papers and meet with the judge to receive the check. When we get to the lawyer's office, the amount of the settlement had changed to $5,500. We didn't sign anything there.

Turns out the claims examiner calculated the amount wrong. Now, we have the settlement letter that he signed and she accepted. Every time we've spoken with her, we questioned the amount. Every single time she agreed it was the $14,000.

So, is the settlement agreement legally binding? Can they really get away with basically saying, "here's 5k, be happy about it"? Or do we get the agreed upon amount?

if the content of the agreement was changed after the signing then the agreement is
invalid.
notify the carrier and both attys in writing that your husband objects to the changes being made after the fact and withdraws from the edited agreement.
In the future only sign with both parties present and with immediate submission of the original document.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I assume the content wasn't changed, only miscalculated on her part. He was never notified. The last we heard from the claims examiner was the 14k amount.

We do not have a lawyer. And the WC firm/claims examiner is in Florida; we are in Tennessee. We can't sign with all parties present.

without seeing the document i assume the amount of the settlement was stated in the agreement.
if it was, then it is "content".
if they're doing business in Tennessee under Tennessee comp law then they use legal representation for any litigation. their local attys can sign for them. otherwise I wouldn't trust them.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LEGALLY How long the Work compensation Insurance has to send changed doctor APPOINTME ngb_girl@yahoo.com 6 2,877 05-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Last Post: 1171
  ct 2nd voluntary agreement after a surgery deborah foss 6 3,201 10-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Reached verbal agreement for settlement Judahpraise 1 2,600 01-07-2016, 06:19 PM
Shy Help I need to null an agreement I signed. I was coerced. lumbar81 1 3,595 11-08-2012, 12:05 PM
  MCO refuses to treat me anymore unless I sign agreement of treatment awolf58 8 6,837 08-15-2012, 03:47 AM
Last Post: awolf58
  Settlement Agreement. . . . . . injuredman 8 7,820 01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
  voluntary agreement usetobeswift 2 5,660 11-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Last Post: usetobeswift
  Claim Disposition Agreement Offer Made...Need help! injuredinidaho 10 21,341 02-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Last Post: down
  Settlement/Serious Concerns About Agreement Netta 5 6,991 06-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Netta
  Settlement Agreement iowahurtwithquestions 3 4,946 05-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Last Post: iowahurtwithquestions