Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I really need to quit even though my comp cases are still open
THIS OCCURRED IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA....

I have two Worker's Compensation cases. I've currently been off of work for 100 weeks due to radial tunnel syndrome in both arms and anxiety stemming from a stressful work environment and my ensuing physical disability. Surgery on the left arm was unsuccessful even after 7 mos. of recuperation. Surgery on the right won't be happening until I see some improvement in the other one. The hand surgeon said he can no longer keep me off and has put me back to work March 1st to see how I function. I've also had a claim for anxiety accepted by WC and a QME was done last year. The QME psychiatrist wrote in his report there I am impaired by my work situation, but that it does not preclude me from continuing to work there. My treating psychiatrist disagreed with him and felt my job was detrimental to my mental health. I am experiencing panic attacks and severe anxiety thinking about returning to an environment next week where the workload has tripled and the few people who are still there are fearful of being fired (I work as a social worker with destitute people). I do NOT wish to return to this job and need to quit. I've been told by my chiropractor that quitting would ruin my case and cause difficulty for me in the future with other employers. I'm afraid I will have a severe panic attack if I am forced to return, and I feel Iam caught in a giant loophole and can't get out. I want out so badly that the money isn't worth it anymore. Your feedback is appreciatedBig Grin

whether you returned to work or not TTD would have stopped.
as there is a 104 week cap you'll lose a possible 4 weeks if you had to take off again.
PD will likely be reduced 15% as your employer will offer modified work even though it's likely you'll decline.

other then that I don't see immediate negative effects on your benefits.
PD advances will begin at a much lower cap.

if you haven't already, you should apply for SSDI.
you may also have a disability retirement option if you work for a public entity.

I don't see how quitting the job will adversely affect future employment; workers change jobs regularly.

you will be eligible for a retraining voucher should you wish to pursue other careers.
medical benefits will continue.

more information here:
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/rrtw.html

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(02-24-2011, 05:42 PM)1171 Wrote: whether you returned to work or not TTD would have stopped.
as there is a 104 week cap you'll lose a possible 4 weeks if you had to take off again.
PD will likely be reduced 15% as your employer will offer modified work even though it's likely you'll decline.

other then that I don't see immediate negative effects on your benefits.
PD advances will begin at a much lower cap.

if you haven't already, you should apply for SSDI.
you may also have a disability retirement option if you work for a public entity.

I don't see how quitting the job will adversely affect future employment; workers change jobs regularly.

you will be eligible for a retraining voucher should you wish to pursue other careers.
medical benefits will continue.

more information here:
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/rrtw.html

Thank-you so much for the information!!! I am confused though as to what PD means. Could you explain?

permanent disability is additional disability payments that may be due if recovery is not complete and there are permanent functional restrictions.
see factsheet D
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/iwguides.html

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  settlement with open medical Andy1689 2 730 08-25-2019, 02:54 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Leaving your medical open Bets 6 1,342 07-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Last Post: adkreb
  ust now Can I quit my job and do freelance work during workers comp? caworkerscompqs 1 1,057 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
  Lawyer Quit Shadow 4 1,002 07-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Shadow
  being forced to keep medical open migv1959 6 3,292 12-02-2016, 12:14 PM
  Re-Open @ SJDB Shadow 4 2,462 11-21-2016, 05:28 PM
  Wanting to quit job for awhile...now out on leave... What to do? darkenedflame01 4 4,246 06-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Need to quit but need to keep seeing MD! claire51870 4 2,392 02-19-2016, 01:11 AM
Last Post: claire51870
  Close 2 cases at once? PuppetMaster 2 1,925 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Last Post: PuppetMaster
  I was injured and then I quit my job Mrbigstuff 10 9,209 01-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Mrbigstuff