Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bummer Knees is home
Hi All,

Bummer Knees came home today, around noon. So keep your eyes peeled, I'm sure in a couple of days she'll be posting. She appreciates all of you, your friendship, your prayers.

BB1958

Thank you Body Builder for the thread and everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers.

I made it home mid-day Wednesday. Been doing some recliner time today, just can't get comfy in the bed.

According to the surgeon the surgery went well with no complications. Surgery was done in one of the top spine hospitals in this part of the country.

Before surgery I was told I would wear a soft collar for 2 weeks after surgery. I came out of surgery with a hard neck brace with instructions to wear it for 6 weeks. I really don't know why the brace and not the collar or if the kyphosis is the reason for the hard brace. The neck is getting use to the new alignment after surgery and the muscles are reacting to that.

Tuesday when the Surgeon's PA came into the hospital room to see me I was lying in bed with the brace on, ice packs on each shoulders, and a cold damp washcloth across the forehead covering the eyes, with nausea.

The PA looked at me and said “After reviewing your chart I don't feel comfortable releasing you to go home today.” I told her I'm not planning on going anywhere today.

THANKFUL you are home and getting along as good as you are take care dear
worry changes nothing prayer changes every thing

I got to wear the hard collar also Bummer....but I could wear the soft one ar night.....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Thought I would post an update on how things went today.

I still have the bouts of the nausea but as long as I take the pain meds and muscle relaxers I do okay. I find the more I use my arms the more pain I feel. I tried to fold laundry today and decided laundry can wait a few days.

I found things like using the shower all at shower time, and using the reacher with the long handle makes a difference in getting thru the day.

My son came home from school with a lasanga cassarole his teacher had made, didn't have to worry about supper tonight.

My son is on a family support program thru the CDDO agency and receives attendent care money due to his Autism. I have used the money to hire someone to help while I recover from surgery. This person comes into the home everyday after school and helps with Cody, takes him to doctor appointments, picks up meds, and helps with preparing meals.

Having this support is making a big difference with 3 special needs children in the home.

Bummer I hope it gets easier for you soon.....try to keep food on your tummy all the time even if its just a popcycle or icecream....it helps with the nausea....have cody help with the laundry....hes a good helper

Praying for you Bummer, hope the pain eases and you get back to as normal as you can quickly..

I understand the pain from the use of the arms. If I were you, I would continue to push the use of the arms. As you are more aware than I am. We are trying to get and arm and hand back to normal condition.

When it comes to the nerves, they have two functions. 1) Sensation, 2) muscel use. At present I believe you are dealing with the sensation issue. While the muscels that were pulled off the vertabre reattach themselves. I would try and put the feeling of pain out of the mind as long as I could. Even thou the muscels are doing what they should. Some have to relearn what they are suppose to do.

Other than that, try to do as little as possible. (like you have a choice). I wish you well.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

her problem is she puts weight on a cane and one arm and hand it makes it worse on the neck...she needs to try and walk without the cane if she can....

Jayne I started to walk around the house before surgery without the cane, I do have to use the cane when outside which hasn't been very often. Yesterday was a challenge with the left knee giving out, this the TKR knee with the surgery being 6/08.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prayers For Bummer UndercovrAngel 13 7,268 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Happy birthday Bummer bodybuilder1958 9 7,016 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Last Post: chrischris
  Prayer request from Bummer Knees bodybuilder1958 5 4,961 08-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Last Post: sonny1
  Bummer knees is out of town bodybuilder1958 0 1,948 08-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  Bummer's Back Bummer Knees 2 2,390 02-10-2012, 08:50 PM
  Bummer thinks I'm a spoiled brat bodybuilder1958 11 8,708 12-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Prayers for Bummer, her daughter bodybuilder1958 6 5,258 08-17-2011, 09:08 AM
  Bummer Knees AQA 3 3,761 05-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  Hey Bummer jayne 2 3,728 03-21-2011, 06:38 PM
  Say an extra prayer tonight for Bummer Knees bodybuilder1958 12 11,724 03-17-2011, 09:37 AM