Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
peripheral neuropathy after surgeries
Hi, I was wondering if anybody has had to deal with neuropathy? (post surgical). I have had multiple hand surgeries on both hands. About 4 months ago I was told by my hand surgeon that I probably acquired this from all of the surgeries and lack of pain relief. This all started back in January 2006.
I am being referred to a "pain management" facility for this, since they feel it is a chronic condition. Have tried pain med's, which I do not like taking. I am now on Cymbalta for the pain, however, it barely touches the pain. My concern is switch from burning and prickling pain, to my hands being ice cold with no feeling at all. Also, I really would rather not have injections at this new place or anyplace else. I had very bad pain with cortisone injections prior to my hand surgeries. If this is "chronic" does it factor into the final loss of use determination?
After dealing with this for 5 years, my mental/emotional state is failing, dealing with chronic pain.

Thank you!

disability determinations are state specific. without knowings yours there is no one universal answer.
http://www.workerscompensation.com/forum...?tid=10146
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(02-15-2011, 05:33 PM)sonny1 Wrote: Hi, I was wondering if anybody has had to deal with neuropathy? (post surgical). I have had multiple hand surgeries on both hands. About 4 months ago I was told by my hand surgeon that I probably acquired this from all of the surgeries and lack of pain relief. This all started back in January 2006.
I am being referred to a "pain management" facility for this, since they feel it is a chronic condition. Have tried pain med's, which I do not like taking. I am now on Cymbalta for the pain, however, it barely touches the pain. My concern is switch from burning and prickling pain, to my hands being ice cold with no feeling at all. Also, I really would rather not have injections at this new place or anyplace else. I had very bad pain with cortisone injections prior to my hand surgeries. If this is "chronic" does it factor into the final loss of use determination?
After dealing with this for 5 years, my mental/emotional state is failing, dealing with chronic pain.

Thank you!

Sorry, I am in NY state.

Do they give cymbalta for pain?

Manley,

When I had insurance, I was given cymbalta not only for depression, but to help with the pain. So yes, it does have a dual purpose use, but I have never heard of it being the sole drug used for pain relief. Mine was in conjunction with lortab 10/750 and kadian (morphine).

Angel ^j^

(02-15-2011, 11:45 PM)Manley2 Wrote: Do they give cymbalta for pain?

I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

for information on how NY rates disabilities
http://www.wcb.state.ny.us/content/main/...dguide.pdf
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(02-15-2011, 11:45 PM)Manley2 Wrote: Do they give cymbalta for pain?

Yes they do prescribe it for just pain even though it is classified as an antidepressant. They have found that it helps people who have neuropathy. I do not like to take controlled substances and have tried a couple of them, to only get nausea & dizzy. So therefore I take the Cymbalta for pain. I do take Wellbutrin for depression, Kolonopin for anxiety (which I do not care to take, but I have to for anxiety) and now Ritalin for energy. The depression and pain has me so exhausted all of the time, I have a very hard time getting up and moving. It is like I could care less about the world around me, I just want to stay in my house and be alone.

I live in NY state.

(02-15-2011, 05:33 PM)sonny1 Wrote: Hi, I was wondering if anybody has had to deal with neuropathy? (post surgical). I have had multiple hand surgeries on both hands. About 4 months ago I was told by my hand surgeon that I probably acquired this from all of the surgeries and lack of pain relief. This all started back in January 2006.

Thank you!

I take Cymbolta myself for pain along with Percocet, Lyrica, and other drugs. Lyrica is a nerve pain med I use for my neck. Maybe it would help your hand pain as well
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

I have peripheral neuropathy in my legs from surgery and I use Lyrica. I just started it but it seems to work pretty well.

(02-17-2011, 09:07 AM)nursedina Wrote: I have peripheral neuropathy in my legs from surgery and I use Lyrica. I just started it but it seems to work pretty well.

Thank you responding. I hear that Lyrica helps however, I also hear most everyone on it gains weight. I have already gained weight during this experience of pain and depression over the last 5 years. I know that if the drug helps then it should not matter. I have anxiety over the thought of gaining anymore weight and then dealing with the health issues if weight gain. I guess it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. My mind is so spiraled right now I don't know what to think. I am just tired of switching med's, getting used to one and finding out it really isn't working....

I appreciate any input!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  study on spinal fusion surgeries California_Help 6 305 06-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  HELP! Injured, two disc fusion surgeries, permanent nerve damage,dont know what to do Blackhawks19 5 1,083 10-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  What to expect after multiple surgeries KingRichard 2 1,115 03-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Last Post: 1171
Wink Neuropathy and Workers Comp Suzanne Betts 3 4,368 09-12-2016, 07:22 PM
  surgeries and scheduled loss of use BLITZCREED22 3 3,582 10-09-2013, 06:52 PM
  Can WC force 2 knee surgeries at once? Debradough 8 4,768 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Last Post: jayne
Shy NY, any difference in CRPS/neuropathy? sonny1 1 9,927 02-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel
  back injury, worse off after 2 surgeries jstadfrntpn 5 7,604 09-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Last Post: jstadfrntpn
  Question to whomever has had carpal tunnel surgeries halftrak 4 4,265 08-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Last Post: halftrak
  Multiple surgeries PAINFORDAYS 10 9,725 05-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo