Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STD and Voc Rehab Question
Hi everyone,

Well, everything started moving very quickly recently. My employer let me go last Thursday, I was set up with a Voc Rehab counselor Friday and I received my settlement check today.

My question is re: STD, my Voc Rehab counselor said I should apply for STD through my employers plan. I did not know I could do this while going to school. Does anyone have any info on this?

I had rotator cuff repair and 3 other procedures, 25% UE and 10% WP which included apportionment. Will I qualify for STD? I don't even know what to put on the paperwork.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hope you all have a wonderful Valentines Day!!!

It's not what you put down, but what your Dr. writes. He will either be sent a form, or you will receive one that you will need to take to him to fill out.

Regardless of whether you are going to school or not, you are disabled, and that is what STD covers. You are not able to work at a job for the time being (hopefully you will find something through voc. rehab that will get you back into gainful employment).

If you have the STD company information, call them and get the ball rolling. Their might be an offset if you are receiving payments from WC, but you should still be eligible for some monies from STD.

Angel ^j^

(02-14-2011, 11:08 PM)NVworker Wrote: Hi everyone,

Well, everything started moving very quickly recently. My employer let me go last Thursday, I was set up with a Voc Rehab counselor Friday and I received my settlement check today.

My question is re: STD, my Voc Rehab counselor said I should apply for STD through my employers plan. I did not know I could do this while going to school. Does anyone have any info on this?

I had rotator cuff repair and 3 other procedures, 25% UE and 10% WP which included apportionment. Will I qualify for STD? I don't even know what to put on the paperwork.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hope you all have a wonderful Valentines Day!!!

I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

But if the employer let them go and they have settled would there be any STD from them? Plus I don't know for sure but I don't think all employers have STD, do they?

NVworker states "Voc rehab suggested that I apply for STD through my employers plan." Thus leading me to believe that there is STD available.

And yes, he should still be able to apply for the plan, as he became disabled during the time that he was still employed. As long as he applies ASAP there should be no reason why he shouldn't be able to get it. If he plays the hurry up and wait game, they can deny him based on the fact the he could get worse over the period of time he waits to file a claim.

Angel ^j^

(02-15-2011, 11:24 AM)Manley2 Wrote: But if the employer let them go and they have settled would there be any STD from them? Plus I don't know for sure but I don't think all employers have STD, do they?

I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

(02-15-2011, 11:48 PM)UndercovrAngel Wrote: NVworker states "Voc rehab suggested that I apply for STD through my employers plan." Thus leading me to believe that there is STD available.

And yes, he should still be able to apply for the plan, as he became disabled during the time that he was still employed. As long as he applies ASAP there should be no reason why he shouldn't be able to get it. If he plays the hurry up and wait game, they can deny him based on the fact the he could get worse over the period of time he waits to file a claim.

Angel ^j^

(02-15-2011, 11:24 AM)Manley2 Wrote: But if the employer let them go and they have settled would there be any STD from them? Plus I don't know for sure but I don't think all employers have STD, do they?

Angel and Manley,

Just to clear a few things up... My employer (ex) pays for STD premiums and I paid into LTD with them. The process of waiting for a modified job offer was a bit of a joke as they (a large home improvement box) had NO clue as to the process or the law here in NV so the time limit expired and I was referred to VR. They still have no clue as to what they are suppose to do and are afraid that I will sue (we all know that is not possible) them so they are not processing term papers for 60 days. I have talked with my attorney, who along with the adjuster are frustrated with the ER and are working on it.

This 60 days gives me the opportunity to still file the STD but also holds my 401K hostage LOL. I plan on starting the STD process today but have a few questions still...
On the form that I have to fill out online it asks the following...

What was the date of your injury? (mm/dd/yyyy)
Was this a result of an accident?
Were you in a motor vehicle accident?
What state did the accident occur in?
Did this accident occur while on the job?
What is the status of your Workers Compensation claim?
Were you/will you be admitted to a hospital?
What was/is your admission date? (mm/dd/yyyy)
What was/is your release date? (mm/dd/yyyy)
Did you/will you have surgery?
What was/is the date of your surgery? (mm/dd/yyyy)
Please describe your surgery:
Please select one of the following that best describes your work status:
*What was the last day worked?
*Please provide some additional information about your circumstances:

When I try to enter my DOI 07/10/09 it won't let me because the injury occurred over a year ago. Can I use my date of surgery in place of the DOI? It also doesn't have a place in the pull down bar that says "WC case closed" for that question. Not sure what to put as far as "additional circumstances" to I mention that they could not accommodated my restrictions? I just don't want to say anything to cause a denial.

I would ask my attorney these questions but they only deal strictly with WC and can't help me. Would it be better if I applied for the STD for my qualifying illness rather than my WC injury or would that be wrong?

Sorry this is so long but I TRULY appreciate your help!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Voc Rehab Question Scooter123 6 2,866 08-19-2015, 11:51 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Question to 1171 re: Voc Rehab katicabogar 8 7,815 01-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Last Post: katicabogar