Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return to Work and symptoms are worst
I'm in NY. I got injured May 2010 my entire left side from a fall which also affected my back. In July, unable to commute because of the leg pain the doctor gave me "no work" note for my employer. Three weeks later my supervisor called me at home and told me that he discussed with his boss, HR, and the CFO that I was needed in the office and to come in (not in those exact words). So reluctantly I asked my doc to approve me to go back to work (I know I should not have done that because of my condition but I do not want to lose my job in this economy). The doc gave me restrictions.
I've been back to work and have been in pain ever since - this injury has been debilitating not only at work, but my personal life -- leg pain up towards my back where it feels like its on fire, tingling in my toes, unable to sit, walk or stand for too long - painful sitting on the LIRR (commuting), I've been going through this for the past 7 months. My symptoms has gotten worse because we had an office move and I didn't do anything strenuous or so I thought - the bending, twisting and walking back and forth really did a number on me - in which I could not move and pain throughout the evening and next morning. My co-worker told me I need to stay home when I'm in this type of pain - she see what I'v been going through this past few months. I do not want to lose my job. How do I handle this?

Talk to your Dr......you may have to decide whats more important your health or your job
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

I full agree with Jayne, you need to decide just how important your health is. From what you have said it sounds like you are only going down hill and if you don't get some real help you may be out of work for the rest of your life. Now most think it sounds like so much fun to be off work for life, but they don't think about the daily pain and suffering. And don't forget WC doesn't pay for pain and suffering. What you need to remember is nobody gets rich off WC and at the end of the day your health is so much more important. You sound like you have seen the pain and suffering enough that I don't think you want to deal with it everyday for the rest of your life. It's nice to try and work with your employer but at the end of the day most injuried workers are nothing more the a number to them, and the bottom line is how much is it going to cost to get you to go away

I was in your same position in 2008. I just started a new job and I was still in my six months probationary period. I wanted this job very much. I only missed one day of work because of it.(at least at that point)
I fell on my right side and I thought "yea it will hurt for a while". I never fell so hard in my life.
I wanted to let you know that my job was the most important thing. I didn't care about my health. I was going to get through this.
Well I ended up almost dying from it. I got to the point that I was once very active and now on bed rest.
I developed dvt and then pulmonary embolism.
My husband would ask what is more important your life or your job way before this.
I recently wrote my MRI that was clean and showed no problem. Was just re-read by another Doctor and said I had a torn disc on the 2008 MRI. That would of been nice to know in 2008. I was made p & s last May. Last day of work was June 28. My injuries were so bad that I couldn't go back to my customary job. The job I wanted so much.
I don't mean to scare you but, you need to heal before this all becomes chronic.
I'm trying to give you the short version.
I belong to a union and that really helped me.
It's still very hard road. I'm on SDI. I have now stop being so depressed. Thats why I put Freedom. Freedom to enjoy life again. Worried since June and once again not about my health. But, over losing a job. I finally have learn a life lesson that I should have all ready of known. Life is everything. So I'm very happy to have a second chance at life.
Hope you get the treatment you need.

First, I'm so sorry to hear that your injury got worst. I am quite scare and you just put everything in perspective for me. My MRI shows nothing also, hopefully the insurance company will allow me to see another doctor to look over my MRI. Thank you again and wish you the best
(01-25-2011, 01:39 AM)down Wrote: I was in your same position in 2008. I just started a new job and I was still in my six months probationary period. I wanted this job very much. I only missed one day of work because of it.(at least at that point)
I fell on my right side and I thought "yea it will hurt for a while". I never fell so hard in my life.
I wanted to let you know that my job was the most important thing. I didn't care about my health. I was going to get through this.
Well I ended up almost dying from it. I got to the point that I was once very active and now on bed rest.
I developed dvt and then pulmonary embolism.
My husband would ask what is more important your life or your job way before this.
I recently wrote my MRI that was clean and showed no problem. Was just re-read by another Doctor and said I had a torn disc on the 2008 MRI. That would of been nice to know in 2008. I was made p & s last May. Last day of work was June 28. My injuries were so bad that I couldn't go back to my customary job. The job I wanted so much.
I don't mean to scare you but, you need to heal before this all becomes chronic.
I'm trying to give you the short version.
I belong to a union and that really helped me.
It's still very hard road. I'm on SDI. I have now stop being so depressed. Thats why I put Freedom. Freedom to enjoy life again. Worried since June and once again not about my health. But, over losing a job. I finally have learn a life lesson that I should have all ready of known. Life is everything. So I'm very happy to have a second chance at life.
Hope you get the treatment you need.

First, I'm so sorry to hear that your injury got worst. I am quite scare and you just put everything in perspective for me. My MRI shows nothing also, hopefully the insurance company will allow me to see another doctor to look over my MRI. Thank you again and wish you the best
(01-24-2011, 11:40 PM)Manley2 Wrote: I full agree with Jayne, you need to decide just how important your health is. From what you have said it sounds like you are only going down hill and if you don't get some real help you may be out of work for the rest of your life. Now most think it sounds like so much fun to be off work for life, but they don't think about the daily pain and suffering. And don't forget WC doesn't pay for pain and suffering. What you need to remember is nobody gets rich off WC and at the end of the day your health is so much more important. You sound like you have seen the pain and suffering enough that I don't think you want to deal with it everyday for the rest of your life. It's nice to try and work with your employer but at the end of the day most injuried workers are nothing more the a number to them, and the bottom line is how much is it going to cost to get you to go away

You are so right about that. I can be replace just as easy as I got hired. Thank you for your input.
(01-24-2011, 07:37 PM)jayne Wrote: Talk to your Dr......you may have to decide whats more important your health or your job

Thanks Jayne, I called in sick today to go see my doctorand because of the pain I've been experiencing. He probably will offer to give me a shot which only covers up the problem not cure it, but I'll see what he says this time. Thanks again.

What has been done in reference to the back. Any tests???? I would say the lower back is the problem with the leg and foot, but you did not mention one other condition that I would expect to hear about.

Your employer probably want you back at work to save them money in reference to the claim. You went back to work to show you are a dedicated employee. It has been shown that injured workers heal faster while working.

However, as you know the body comes first and the job comes second.

Take Care
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Thank you fit4teen.
I agree with AQA that the majority of injured workers get better by moving.
In my case I kept moving and worked a lot of sixteen hours. Not by choice but, I was low on the totem pole. hahaha. I got held at least twice a month and sometimes 12 hours. Per our bargarning contract.
Now I know the Doctor's were all going off the report and not looking at the film.
I'm waiting this week to get authorization from Comp. for a right greater trochanteric bursa injections(never knew I needed that), new MRI of L-spine, and another emg. I probably won't hear back until next week. I'm used to getting deny. This time I'm hopeful. If I get turned down this time, I will use my private insurance. I learn a lesson and you can't replace your health.
You will be your best advocate. Finding a good Doctor to treat your problem can be challenging. I once was sent to this pain management Doctor. The Doctor had a pill for everything. He scared me....
Hopefully you can get the treatment you need and keep your job and everything will work out.
I feel bad for you because I still limp around and I know the pain.
Good luck. I hope to hear that the Doctor have found the problem and you are getting the treatment you need.

Fit4-
That happened to me. I was out for two years after 3 back surgeries and a permanent left drop foot. I had two fusions, and a spinal cord stimulator implanted. After almost 2 years, my job called me and said they had a great desk job i could do. I begged my near surgeon to let me go back to work.
After three days, i was in tears. I called my doc, and he gave me extra pain meds, then i was crying and stoned for another week. I was cut to fur hour days. The pain just got worse and worse. It took almost 4 weeks of daily calls to my doc before he would let me off work again. My NS wouldn't write a letter taking me off work, and my pain mgmt doc didn't want to go against my NS.

Who was caught in the middle? Me. In pain, vomiting, crying..etc...

Finally taken back out of work. My symptoms 6 months later have not gotten better, only worse. Now comp wants to know why i am not working since my NS told them once that i could do it. Even though it wad MY DECISION to go back and try , they don't care. It created a nightmare for me that i wish i never started.

I wish you luck with this fight. It's a tough one. Take warning. Think of your health before anything else. I didn't at first, and now im paying for it.

Thank you. Let me share what happen today. I sent an email to my supervisors in which I told them how unfair it was to give me a task which I was not capable of doing and went against my doctor's restriction. Both supervisors wrote me back and stated that they want to meet with me next week to discuss this matter. Now one of the supervisors will have to fly in to NY - this means only one thing the possibility that I will be fired! She never comes to NY unless it is to terminate an employeeSad
I have read all the replies and want to thank everyone because all are right - my health does come first -and companies do not have loyalty to their employees no matter how much you do a good job.

I went to my dr. today - he prescribed some meds and gave me a back brace and wants me to do another MRI. I'm no doctor, but if he could not find anything the first time why is he requesting a 2nd MRI? I could not get my meds because it has to be approved by the insurance carrier and I'm still waiting for the approval...ughhhhhh - Sorry, just venting. Thanks for listening
(01-25-2011, 09:09 PM)nursedina Wrote: Fit4-
That happened to me. I was out for two years after 3 back surgeries and a permanent left drop foot. I had two fusions, and a spinal cord stimulator implanted. After almost 2 years, my job called me and said they had a great desk job i could do. I begged my near surgeon to let me go back to work.
After three days, i was in tears. I called my doc, and he gave me extra pain meds, then i was crying and stoned for another week. I was cut to fur hour days. The pain just got worse and worse. It took almost 4 weeks of daily calls to my doc before he would let me off work again. My NS wouldn't write a letter taking me off work, and my pain mgmt doc didn't want to go against my NS.

Who was caught in the middle? Me. In pain, vomiting, crying..etc...

Finally taken back out of work. My symptoms 6 months later have not gotten better, only worse. Now comp wants to know why i am not working since my NS told them once that i could do it. Even though it wad MY DECISION to go back and try , they don't care. It created a nightmare for me that i wish i never started.

I wish you luck with this fight. It's a tough one. Take warning. Think of your health before anything else. I didn't at first, and now im paying for it.
Wow, that is horrible and I'm afraid the same thing is happening with me, thanks for sharing. It's awful the way they treat people. I wish you the best in your fight.

make sure you are aware of your rights under ADAs reasonable accommodation law before meeting with your employers.
http://www.ada.gov/

you may wish to have someone else present.
it helps avoid the "she said- he said" situations when there's third party present in the room.
also you don't want to be confronted in a 3 on 1 situation----
it'll even the odds and give you a little moral support, even if they can't contribute to the discussion.
be prepared to leave a written statement of your objections with them.
follow up the meeting with brief written summary of what happened and send it to your employer.
don't let their documentation be the only one.
if think you'll be fired and will want to appeal prepare now for what you'll need after the meeting.

just a few suggestions.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Florida wc, doc ignoring symptoms Hex021210 2 851 09-13-2019, 02:45 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Release to work with restrictions but no job to return to Lostandconfused 35 11,782 12-14-2018, 05:32 AM
Last Post: Lostandconfused
  Not Ready to Return to Work / Stress (New to Forum) jjjccefbr 8 5,736 02-04-2017, 01:07 AM
  Return to work policy NY Osok 1 2,611 03-29-2015, 07:43 PM
  Getting answers when the cause of symptoms is unclear horizon 5 3,715 06-21-2014, 12:50 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Notice of Ability to Return to Work jtaf 2 4,667 06-19-2014, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Laid Off After Full-Duty Return to Work wwdoitover 3 8,436 03-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Last Post: wwdoitover
  return to work before my surgery??? Pambud96 5 9,215 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Last Post: hurt back
  Return to work, different shift. Nebraska conlar58 2 5,311 03-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Last Post: conlar58
  Doctor telling me to return to work??? HH4 3 6,679 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM