Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doctors get KICKBACKS for spinal fusion Implants...
spinal implants became big profit generators for device makers. The screws used to drill into bone, known as pedicle screws, sell for $1,000 to $2,000 apiece but cost less than $100 to make. A bone-growth protein used to help vertebrae fuse can sell for more than $5,000 a pack, depending on the size.
Another study of workers' compensation cases published this year in the online edition of the journal Spine showed that patients who had a spinal fusion were much less likely to return to work within two years after their surgery than a group of patients with similar conditions who didn't have surgery, and that 27% of them had to be re-operated on. Their rate of permanent disability was more than five times as high as the patients whose spines weren't fused, and their daily intake of powerful narcotic painkillers increased by 41% after surgery.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424..._US_News_3
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(12-20-2010, 01:48 PM)1171 Wrote: spinal implants became big profit generators for device makers. The screws used to drill into bone, known as pedicle screws, sell for $1,000 to $2,000 apiece but cost less than $100 to make. A bone-growth protein used to help vertebrae fuse can sell for more than $5,000 a pack, depending on the size.
Another study of workers' compensation cases published this year in the online edition of the journal Spine showed that patients who had a spinal fusion were much less likely to return to work within two years after their surgery than a group of patients with similar conditions who didn't have surgery, and that 27% of them had to be re-operated on. Their rate of permanent disability was more than five times as high as the patients whose spines weren't fused, and their daily intake of powerful narcotic painkillers increased by 41% after surgery.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424..._US_News_3

I really didn't need to read this little bit of info. lol

I can see that, even in my own expierence of a surgeon consult I was told alot of patients dont fuse properly, and even the ones that do are still in a lot of pain. But obvious patient to patient differ...

thank you for this iam going through a settlememnt process the last couple weeks and this should be a big help to me, i have a neck fusion done with the same hardware

It is not really a kickback. It's called a 'Trial', and yes, a doctor is compensated for using that product. It also saves the hospital money. Trial instrument trays are very, very common in operating rooms for orthopedic surgeries. You literally have 'sales staff' who come into the OR (trained scrubs usually) who show the surgeons how to use the new implants. But it's the surgeons who do the surgery, trust me.
These 'trials' can last for several years. I recall one total hip replacement where there were 5 'Trial' pans.
If someone doesn't wish to have a 'trial' pan used then they need to talk to their surgeon. I've already discussed this with mine and I'm probably a couple of months out from having my TKR done. I will not have a trial pan used but then again, I'm going to be awake and very aware during my surgery.

I'm not saying that Kickbacks don't occur, they do. But the article can be trouble to some people who are mis-informed. I can also see the companies side to this, how can you test a product without using it? At the hospital I worked at if a 'Trial' pan was being used a patient was informed of that ahead of time. They had to consent to the use of that pan. They also had to consent to every person in the OR. This may not be the case in every hospital. Any fusion has potential problems. I see a problem occurring with my stepmother who had a fusion and the doctor wasn't aware or didn't care to find out if she had osteoporosis. So less than 4 years after the fusion her entire spine is twisted, both above and below the fusion. So she has to wear a brace from shoulder to below her hip every waking day to support her entire spine.

Bodybuilder1958
Certified Surgical Technologist

i'll let the credibility of the reporters, newspaper and their sources speak for themself:
"Corporate whistleblowers and congressional critics contend such arrangements—which are common in orthopedic surgery—amount to kickbacks to stoke sales of medical devices."
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Rather than listen to a skilled OR worker who worked with doctors, suppliers and considered doing a similar job. Went to 4 different interviews, two training seminars. Didn't take the job because of problems with my right knee.

I'm not saying that kick backs didn't happen. But it is common to have 'trial pans' in the OR, it allows for customizing implants on sometimes difficult patients.

The article mentioned patients where implants had failed. Sometimes those failures can be improper screening of patients. Patients who don't go for a second opinion and insist on surgery. Patients who are not good candidates, who don't rehab well, or quit therapy, patients who are too heavy or gain a lot of weight after surgery.

you're right; it's the patients fault.
sheesh!

Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

You both are correct, as I said patients vary.. weight/pt/ot/ people dont try / people that do try.. There are several vaibles that factor the out come between failed/success.....

I have the popcorn ready...............lol

I to believe its both...without someone to try it out on it would never get done...someone has to be first...in that batch you will have the ones that puch thru the pain and get up and move and the ones who lay there and cry and wont move and thosewho for reasons no one can figure it just doesnt work out....thats why its called trials.even after trials you are still gonna have the same group of people that will,wont or cant....I can tell you if I was given an even chance of getting rid of the pain I would go for it trial or not.....I am darn tired of constapation.....I am tired of taking a cocktail of pills everyday.....of never knowing if today those pills will stay down or if its a day that everything is gonna come up.....yep I will take that trial
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research your spinal implants before agreeing to a fusion California_Help 1 648 08-29-2019, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Flipping fran
  study on spinal fusion surgeries California_Help 6 1,170 06-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Spinal fusion cas Anna3217 2 1,759 04-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Spinal Fusion/Mandatory Settlement? Jherek 3 33,258 05-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Last Post: (EX)surveillanceInvestigator
  Spinal Fusion Need Help matcc 12 11,485 05-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Failed Spinal Fusion at S1-Pelvis area brentaw 6 12,202 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  BEWARE SPINAL IMPLANTS... 1171 3 4,254 11-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Cost of 2 level spinal fusion in Illinois chicagoHdiscs 2 10,636 11-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Last Post: nursedina
  At MMI-Illinois Claim-3 Level Spinal Fusion clipped wings 6 14,236 08-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Last Post: jayne
  set % of disabilty for spinal fusion?? inpainokla 4 6,060 11-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Last Post: inpainokla