Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for those with a cervical injury
I first injured my neck in an auto accident in 2007, Acute Traumatic Myofascitis of the cervical spine, with bulging disc.

I was re-injured by the work comp doctor when he was doing an exam earlier this year.

The MRI from August shows a left lateral hernation of c5-6, with the nerve root displaced as it enters the neural forman with pressure on the spine. the level above and below shows bone spurs.

Following the re-injury I had a headache lasting almost 30 days, with very high blood pressure, in September I started having pain down the left arm, and accross the shoulders.

In October I started physical therapy which has helped with the arm pain on the left side but recently there has been a change.

I am now having arm pain, hand pain, and should pain on the right side, very intense burning pain down the arm/hand witrh numbness of the hand. (The burning pain make it difficult to sleep)

I shared the right sided symptoms with the physical therapist she feels the disc has moved.

Now for my qestion, what does it mean the disc has moved, and is this a good or bad thing?

To add to this I saw the primary doctor today (an osteopath) my doctor feels I need to need another MRI and a nerve conduction study.

Thanks for reading this and for your help.

I would agree with your Dr a new MRI and a neve test. I have pain and numbness on both right and left side. it varies from side to side and both sides at the same time. I think the Therapist was thinking maybe the bulge may have shifted. Just my thought.
Cervical Fusion 2003, c5-c6. Herniated and damaged Disc L1- L4-L5 S1. Lumbar Spinal Cord stimulator implant 09-2008. Cervical ACDF revision with hardware c4-c5-c6-c7 Sept 2009.
SSDI approved 3-2010. NOW OFFICIALY RETIRED

Bummer mine goes mainly down my left side...there are times it is worse some days better.....it varies with what I do.....I find sleeping with a good pillow and riding in cars that dont bounce me to much helps.....something as mundane as sleeping wrong can put me in agony for days.....Bill can stand over me while I am sitting and slowly pull my neck stright up and can relieve a headache some.....ask your PT people to show him how.....there is also an over the door traction unit that can help...but I find Bill is easier on me
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Thanks Jayne & CF

I have been having traction 2 X weekly for the past 6 weeks in physical therapy, but lately it has not been of much help.

A few weeks ago physical therapy tried to increase the traction by 3 lbs, had a significant headache after that session, and the therapist had to reduce traction at the next session.

Off to the neurosurgeon this mornng. Physical therapy recommended dismissal, progress is scattered.

I expect the neurosurgeon will recommend surgery, I will request testing to be done first before I consider surgery.

If I have a ACDF I won't be able to use my own bone and will have to have donor bone, don't want to go into detail.

I used donor bone....but Bummer would ask for a disc o gram before surgery is done to make sure they get em all...because this puts strain on the disc above and below you need to make sure they are strong.... good luck girly
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Last time I had a discogram, the day after I felt like I had been ran over by a truck.
Having the discogram I felt some pain, but the day after that semi showed up!

Back home, the neurosurgeon is scheduling a nerve conduction test & MRI.

He says it is good news the symptoms have shown improvement on the left side. But with the new symptoms on the right side he feels the disc may have collaspe.

I have an appointment scheduled for after the test are completed. At that time the surgeon will go over the test results and I will make the decision on surgery.

The human spine comprises 24 vertebrae, or small bones containing the spinal cord. These vertebrae are grouped into three sections according to location: cervical spine (neck), thoracic spine (middle back), and lumbar spine (lower back). Soft tissues, such as ligaments (tissues that connect bones), muscles, and skin, surround and support the spine. Seven vertebrae form the cervical spine. This section of the spine connects the base of the head to the thorax (trunk and shoulders) and, with the help of soft tissues, supports the head. A fracture (break) of the cervical spine is commonly referred to as a broken neck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on cervical spine Bummer Knees 10 5,395 05-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Question about CT scan for cervical spine Bummer Knees 7 6,635 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Cervical Injury Bummer Knees 3 2,206 07-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  need help from cervical injury people jayne 13 8,437 01-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy