Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't know what's going on...???
Thanks in advance for your help - I've never been hurt before...

I work for a county facility in Florida and fell off a ladder at the end of April of this year. I broke a bone in my foot and have been "treated" by a WC doc every 6 weeks or so since. Today he decided that I have achieved "MMI" and assigned me a 4% Permanent Impairment Rating. I should add that I have missed no time at work, but have been assigned light duties since the injury.

I am SO confused as to what happens now. I have been asked countless times if I have retained the services of a lawyer, and received countless mailings from attorneys offering to represent me. I chose not to act; why would I need a lawyer when my employer wasn't at fault for my injury? I understand I am entitled to a certain settlement based on the 4% rating, but what else might I sue for and why?

I've read that the 4% is based (most likely) on AMA standards, but, considering the difficulty I'm still having walking, is the percentage at all arbitrary? Should I get another opinion?

The representative at the insurance company that is handling the WC claim was little to no help as far as offering information goes. I would greatly appreciate any advice and/or direction.

My biggest concern in your story is; you are having trouble walking, have reached MMI, and only have a 4% rating.

Has anything been said about future medical after settlement? If you are having trouble walking now, you likely will need medical treatment in the future after settlement.

The insurance company have attornys working for them so that they may settle with you for the least amount possible.

Now it is up to you to decided if you need an attorney.

florida does not use the AMA guides; they have their own.
for your own piece of mind you should get another rating.
even if it's only a few percent difference you won't feel like you've been cheated.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Bummer Knees Wrote:My biggest concern in your story is; you are having trouble walking, have reached MMI, and only have a 4% rating.

Has anything been said about future medical after settlement? If you are having trouble walking now, you likely will need medical treatment in the future after settlement.

The insurance company have attornys working for them so that they may settle with you for the least amount possible.

Now it is up to you to decided if you need an attorney.

Thanks for your answer. When you say settlement, do you mean the 8 weeks of payments my ins. co. rep. talked about (we only spoke briefly on the phone - it was around 5pm on a Friday...)? If I take that payment, do I release them from having to make any other settlements?

I'm thinking I need to get a second opinion.

Any other input you might have would be greatly appreciated.

1171 Wrote:florida does not use the AMA guides; they have their own.
for your own piece of mind you should get another rating.
even if it's only a few percent difference you won't feel like you've been cheated.

Thanks for your reply. Do you know what guide Florida uses? Is the insurance company obligated to make that happen if that's what I want? The last time I mentioned getting a second opinion re: how I was being treated, the ins. co. rep. referred me to another physician in the same practice as the one I'm seeing. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest (or wouldn't they be likely to rate my injury the same way)?

If you have reached MMI, and have been rated, you likey will have a settlement.

Kate is one of the moderators of this forum and will be able to give you information on your state's wc laws.

Bummer Knees Wrote:If you have reached MMI, and have been rated, you likey will have a settlement.

Kate is one of the moderators of this forum and will be able to give you information on your state's wc laws.

Thanks for the info. I look forward to hearing from Kate.

1996 FLORIDA UNIFORM PERMANENT IMPAIRMENT RATING SCHEDULE
http://www.genexservices.com/resources/C...hedule.pdf

you should request a couple 3 names and you should pick one.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

1171 Wrote:1996 FLORIDA UNIFORM PERMANENT IMPAIRMENT RATING SCHEDULE
http://www.genexservices.com/resources/C...hedule.pdf

you should request a couple 3 names and you should pick one.

Thanks so much for your help - I looked at the rating schedule, and from what I can see, 4% is way too low...

I will request to see another doctor on Monday.

Regards,

Christina