Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurt Lower Back
Hi, Im new here, looking for some insite. I have a collapsed herniated L5 disk in my back that happened at work several months ago. I worked with the workmans comp doctors for 3 months, they put me in therapy which did nothing but agitate the problem even more and some meds. Then they release me with restrictions and a 5% PPI Rating, and now my employer will not allow me to go back to work with these horrible restrictions. I had to use my own insurance to get some relief from the pain ( some pain blocking shots ) which have already wore off, I finally got a IME appointment that was passed by the workmans comp board. I guess when you get hurt they just put out to pasture like a wore out mule. I live in indiana. Anyone have any wags on this?

Backsout Wrote:Hi, Im new here, looking for some insite. I have a collapsed herniated L5 disk in my back that happened at work several months ago. I worked with the workmans comp doctors for 3 months, they put me in therapy which did nothing but agitate the problem even more and some meds. Then they release me with restrictions and a 5% PPI Rating, and now my employer will not allow me to go back to work with these horrible restrictions. I had to use my own insurance to get some relief from the pain ( some pain blocking shots ) which have already wore off, I finally got a IME appointment that was passed by the workmans comp board. I guess when you get hurt they just put out to pasture like a wore out mule. I live in indiana. Anyone have any wags on this?

did you hire an attorney? I am going through a similar situation, ive been out of work for almost a year. The best advice that i can give you is try to remain positive, I know how that can be much easier said than done. You will also be required to be patient, Ive done 2 cortizone shots, therapy (15 weeks), FCE, and 2 IME's oh and this "psychosocial" exam. which says i wont heal from surgery...........Ive done everything asked of me without so much as a peep. I am still in limbo here with no end in sight, atleast as far as i can tell.

BUt......you found the right place. good peeps hanging around here. Best of luck to you.

Hey funpops, I don"t have an attorney yet, in Indiana that is a hard one to come by. I have talked to 3 different ones, but so far no help. In the state of Indiana for the disk thats hurinated they offered me $6,900.00 and a list of restrictions that I will never find another job, at least in the collision business. I have one last chance with the IME doctor to see if he can fix the disk, or find a new occupation. I will have to take the settlement and move on. I"m tired of all the shots they dont last very long. I hope you get well, remember think positive. Thanks for your reply !!!

I am unfamilure with your state laws and regs. pertaining to WC.

I am familure with back injuries to a point. I am confused as to why your personal IC picked up the tab for the injections??????? Anyway, if the injections worked for a time period (even a short one) That means that something is wrong. Which puts you in the what if scenerio. Meaning, what if you need future medical???? I am back to the original question. Why is your personal IC picking up the tab???? Did WC deny it??? HHHMMM????
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

AQA Wrote:I am unfamilure with your state laws and regs. pertaining to WC.

I am familure with back injuries to a point. I am confused as to why your personal IC picked up the tab for the injections??????? Anyway, if the injections worked for a time period (even a short one) That means that something is wrong. Which puts you in the what if scenerio. Meaning, what if you need future medical???? I am back to the original question. Why is your personal IC picking up the tab???? Did WC deny it??? HHHMMM????

Here in Indiana when the WC doctor feels that you have met MMI then he can release you to return to work with restrictions. If your employer cant give you a job with those restrictions then you need to get more help. I have called my IC and they are going after their money from the WC ins company. I Filed paperwork with the WC board which has taken some time to get through. Now if the IME says that I wasent at MMI then I can get more help through WC ins company. So I was left in all this pain so I had to do something. So I used My own IC to get some relief. Here are my restrictions .No repetive lifting, twisting,or bending. The pound limit for lifting is not to exceed 10 lbs. No climbing ladders, scaffolds, or platforms. No prolonged(>30 min) sitting or standing. No squatting. No stopping. So they gave me a PPI rating at 5% for a settlement of $6900.00. The Facet Nerve Block shots did help for some time that I got on my own, which proves that something could have been done, but workmans comp refused to do anything for me just gave me the PPI and released me. So I guess they do not have to get you back to work Like I was told by my employer, we both have learned alot about WC here in IN. Like I said looks like to me when you get hurt in Indiana you get treated like an old wore out mule put out to pasture for your last dieing days. Is that a crock or what?

I think its that way in any state, if they think they can get away with it, they will try.... Its a nightmare when one has a wc injury, me-- I have had a good run and others get the shaft.... I'm sorry to hear of your pain and hope things get better for you.....bronco

<-----getting the shaft. not cool

I've also been hurt in indiana. the work comp laws here are weighted heavily in the employers favor. hang in there.
(11-17-2010, 11:48 AM)Backsout Wrote:
AQA Wrote:I am unfamilure with your state laws and regs. pertaining to WC.

Here in Indiana when the WC doctor feels that you have met MMI then he can release you to return to work with restrictions. If your employer cant give you a job with those restrictions then you need to get more help. I have called my IC and they are going after their money from the WC ins company. I Filed paperwork with the WC board which has taken some time to get through. Now if the IME says that I wasent at MMI then I can get more help through WC ins company. So I was left in all this pain so I had to do something. So I used My own IC to get some relief. Here are my restrictions .No repetive lifting, twisting,or bending. The pound limit for lifting is not to exceed 10 lbs. No climbing ladders, scaffolds, or platforms. No prolonged(>30 min) sitting or standing. No squatting. No stopping. So they gave me a PPI rating at 5% for a settlement of $6900.00. The Facet Nerve Block shots did help for some time that I got on my own, which proves that something could have been done, but workmans comp refused to do anything for me just gave me the PPI and released me. So I guess they do not have to get you back to work Like I was told by my employer, we both have learned alot about WC here in IN. Like I said looks like to me when you get hurt in Indiana you get treated like an old wore out mule put out to pasture for your last dieing days. Is that a crock or what?

One thing I can add is don't ever think and IME that WC is paying for is ever going to say you need more treatment. They are there to get you off the pay roll and not help you. You really need to find a good lawyer before you are even more injuried and out on the street. Find one ASAP

I have to take my previous statement back in a earlier post in this thread. I have also now got the shaft, and its because of a IME that wc sent my medical records too... And anytime a ins is going to pay for a ime that dr is for them, not you. Every thing has stopped, medical, meds, and ttd. They have even said since the dr put you at mmi back in Nov, now I owe them money... Its a crooked game they play and not best to do it alone.... I say Lawyer up and fast...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA Lower Back Injury Settlement back2036 3 999 10-26-2019, 07:26 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Hurt back at work.I feel I should get a better deal than what my lawyer is saying Alex26 5 2,656 10-08-2017, 12:05 AM
  Mover claims he hurt his back while moving. harrou86 4 2,437 01-13-2016, 06:09 PM
  Advise for workers comp claim. Only 20yrs old w/ damage to disc in lower back!! brandnew23 17 25,463 01-11-2016, 10:24 PM
  lower lubar fuse maxzillia 1 1,968 05-11-2015, 11:23 AM
  End of treatment? Lower back injury in CA PainOC 10 12,677 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM
  Injuried lower back Hurt medic 6 4,952 08-05-2012, 11:02 AM
  Upper/ Lower Back. Isnt it all connected?? wavewright 4 4,668 05-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Last Post: AQA
  lower back injury rizen1 8 17,278 12-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rizen1
  Lower work hours after WC filed petlover 2 4,888 12-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Last Post: petlover