Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spinal cord stimulator
hello all its been a while! first off let me start by saying i hope everyone is having some pain free days! secondly my pm dr has given me a referal for the scs trial and a psych eval for the trial he thinks he can help me with alot of my pain with the scs! now that being said i guess my nuero has told wc ic that in my case it is not necessary contradicting what my pm dr is saying! so ic is denying paying for it like i thought they would ! first off how many of you have the scs and has it helped any i dont know if this is worth fighting for because i am running out of energy to fight with these idiots! my main thought behind finally accepting the scs is i wont to try to move on with my life and maybe get off alot of the meds im on! i would love to be able to go out back and play catch with my son! i just dont know what to do i feel like the nuero thinks im not in any pain but evryone else see why im in so much pain! any info or advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi backpainfla,

First off, I was told by my PM doc that a request for SCS is always denied first time around. Your PM doc should have a letter explaining why it was denied, and then proceed from there.

My denial was because a psyche eval wasn't attached. But PM doc said it is a catch 22. If he attached a psyche eval it would have been denied because he didn't get pre-authorization for psyche eval. Either way, it would have been denied. Just part of the game; oh I mean "process of UR".

So, talk to your PM doc to see if he is going to re-submit the request first.

Keep copies of all the PM docs requests, and the UR denials.

If you are unrepped, and you continue to be denied, it's time to lawyer up.

BTW: Yes, it is very worth it to get an SCS implant; at least it was for me. Had mine in July 2010.

Good luck!
Let Go, and Let God......

I can tell you my SCS has helped with some pain that no medicine touched. In my case WC was taking care of everything until my PM doc said I should try the SCS, then they denied everything was WC. That started the fight. Got mine covered by my private insurance and now WC had to pay them back once this was all won in my hearings. You would sure think that if anybody would deny the SCS it would have been private insurance but they approved it with very little trouble. Like I said in another post I had to have a second Psy eval because they didn't like the guy that did the first but I think that was the only hold up. Now because of the fight with WC it did delay me getting it for about a year.
Now I can't say in your case if it's worth the fight or not but I trust my PM doc and when he said it was something I should try I believed him. If you think this is the case with your doctor I think I would fight for the trial implant. It is not much trouble to have done and will tell you right away if one will help you fell better.

I have a scs and it was put in on Aug 4, 2008 and it really helped me alot I was taken off of a lot of medication it took away 60% of the pain the pain is not very severe like it was. It take a while to heal from the surgery but it is worth it. I did the evaluration 1st and then i had the trial done first for 7days then a couple of months later i had the permenant one done. wc tryed to give me the run around until i had my lawyer to push the issue. It's worth getting once you get it you have to get use to it. if you need any more infomation i would be glad to tell you about it.

Keep in mind that the SCS is not a fix all cure.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

No it don't cure all the pain but it help a little i have perihipal Neuropathy nerve damage in the left ankle and once they got the settingings correct on the stimulator it helped. but some time when it get cloudy or bad whether comes my ankle would hurt a little more and also when it get cold it hurts. but the stimulator did help me a great deal. i don't have muscle spams like i use to it kind of help with that but sometimes my ankle swells if i walk or stand to long but my doctor said i will always have the problem because of the injury.

L.D.T., I know exactly what you are saying. I have had mine since 12-07. I just wanted Backpainfla to know that even having a SCS that he/she may still need to take meds.

I do agree that the SCS helps with the pain.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Hey there,

I have had a spinal cord stimulator put in about 7 months ago. It works great. It does not get rid of all the pain but cuts it down about 30-40%. Mine is a paddle lead that is placed so I have low back coverage and both legs for the neuropathic pain.
I had the psych exam and failed it. The person who did it, said my pain was not being caused by the two fusions, six screws, two bars and two spacers in my back, but from the death of my husband two years before. She also suggested that pain might be due to something that happened to me in a past life. WOW. seriously, you can't make this crap up.
My surgeon did the surgery anyway. It is up to the doc weather or not to do the surgery in wake of the psych eval.
Mine was approved right away with no problems.
Next I am going in to ask about a pain pump because I stil have a need for oral pain meds and I am worried about the effect they are having on my body.

__good luck!
Dina

thank you all for the responses im a 31 yr old male lol! i am non surgical due to the extent of damage i have 7 discs in my thoracic and two in my lumbar they are planning on installing the trial in my thoracic he beleives he can help with most of my pain! im also now having problems with my neck for the last several months and am awaiting an mri of my cervical! (which they are denying lol ) in the begining i was very apprehensive about the scs but now im feeling like its my only shot at moving on and out of the pain med game! i have way to many freinds and assoc that have become addicted and died due to these pain meds! i myself have kept pm at bay as long as possible with narcotics and my pain is getting worse and its getting harder and harder to keep from taking them now! also i know you are awake when they install the trial but when they install the perm scs you are put out for that i hope?

Well I hate to say in my case it was the same for the trial and the perm. Because they have to ask you about how you are feeling it during both. But I can also say I don't remember any pain from this at all but I do remember a little bit of that part.
As others have said it is not a cure all but I can say it helped with some nerve pain that no med's I had taken helped with. When my PM doc told me he was wanting to try one I did feel like it was something to finally deal with my problems. After so many shots in the back on which some are suppost to help and others only a test to see what happens, this seemed to me like something that was going to help. The trial will give you a good idea how well it should work for you.
There are several on here with them and I think everybody will try and help you with answers because it is a scary thing when they are working next to your spine

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the risks of spinal cord stimulators California_Help 0 89 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Spinal cord stimulators come with risks California_Help 2 336 04-01-2019, 07:38 AM
Last Post: tbear6410
  Spinal Cord Stimulator peanut222 12 14,344 01-27-2019, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Tony890
  Spinal Cord Stimulator Cervical_Fusion 21 20,251 09-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: 1171
  MMI with a Spinal Cord Stimulator jennco1 13 21,045 06-26-2017, 01:12 PM
Last Post: 1171
  CRPS I & II & Spinal cord stimulator Sithie 7 5,885 12-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  Need advice on getting a spine stimulator implant tpm 12 8,636 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Last Post: tpm
  Spinal cord stimulation grumpyone 42 37,649 08-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Last Post: jayne
Rolleyes Does Spinal Cord Stimulation work? Sunshine7 24 29,138 02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Last Post: AQA
  Spinal cord stimulator kytyki 6 7,533 01-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy