Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what to expect after surgery
my husband was injured, multiple injuries in ct last year. This post is about his neck. He is waiting for a surgery date for fusion and disc arthroplasties on c5-6 and c6-c7 ,and then subsequently on c3-4 disc, should it be necesary. He was given a 33% rating- before surgery. We have not collected any money for time off or anything yet. We have a weekly rate of 904.00 take home from comp, this is what we will get paid when he has to stay home from surgery.
Can anyone tell me what type of money we might be looking at for a settlement after surgery. I know his one rate calculation for spinal is apx, 30,000 + . But the settlement in the end?? We do have a lawyer, we have just not gotten to the point of discussing money yet. It is on everyones mind, I mean I dont know what hubbys limitaions might be after surgery.
any guesses out there?
thanks in advance

mayby none if hes lucky.....I had same surgery and had a failed fusion.....hopefully your husband has better luck....if I had to do it all over again I wouldnt do it at all.....make sure he has tried every thing else before surgery....a lawyer already? your settlement will be on his possiable loss of use.....if done right there may be no loss of use and he may go back to work with no loss of earnings.....which is our goals right?you dont get rich on WC and since you hired a lawyer so quick he is gonna eat a large chunk of any settlement you do get.......and your weekly pay
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

hurtinct Wrote:my husband was injured, multiple injuries in ct last year. This post is about his neck. He is waiting for a surgery date for fusion and disc arthroplasties on c5-6 and c6-c7 ,and then subsequently on c3-4 disc, should it be necesary. He was given a 33% rating- before surgery. We have not collected any money for time off or anything yet. We have a weekly rate of 904.00 take home from comp, this is what we will get paid when he has to stay home from surgery.
Can anyone tell me what type of money we might be looking at for a settlement after surgery. I know his one rate calculation for spinal is apx, 30,000 + . But the settlement in the end?? We do have a lawyer, we have just not gotten to the point of discussing money yet. It is on everyones mind, I mean I dont know what hubbys limitaions might be after surgery.
any guesses out there?
thanks in advance

hurt - not everyone gets a settlement, we asked for my IC and they flat out have refused to settle. they said they would rather pay me for the next 10 years, then settle "they don't believe in it" they said their goal was to get me back me back to work. We tried for a stationary position and it did not work out, they still said no because they are hoping in a few years, we can try again.

Not everyone gets settlements, and the amount differs in each individual case if there is a settlement. No one can give you an estimate.

settlement dollars are based on recovery.
everyone is different - even from the same surgery; so there is no way to guess.
failed surgery and high permanent impairment means he needs more benefits and therefore a higher settlement.
as Jayne says, most would take a successful surgery and lower benefits any day.
settlement is not calculated until after worker has reached maximum medical improvement and/or has returned to work.
Have your husband read up on Connecticut's comp system here
http://wcc.state.ct.us/
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

jayne Wrote:mayby none if hes lucky.....I had same surgery and had a failed fusion.....hopefully your husband has better luck....if I had to do it all over again I wouldnt do it at all.....make sure he has tried every thing else before surgery....a lawyer already? your settlement will be on his possiable loss of use.....if done right there may be no loss of use and he may go back to work with no loss of earnings.....which is our goals right?you dont get rich on WC and since you hired a lawyer so quick he is gonna eat a large chunk of any settlement you do get.......and your weekly pay

We did not hire an attorney to get rich. We hired an attorney to file a WC case for us. He got hurt on a job, hip, both knees, neck and ankle. We were getting a huge run around from the company and were told to file, by friends. And the best way to cover ourselves were to hire an attorney, they have one, why shouldnt we. We are not trying to get rich. Sorry if that is what u thought I meant or was after. No, we just know there will be some type of restrictions on him and with a large family, have to wonder about our future. With the economy the way it is, things not looking to bright. My husband is a hard worker and I am not sure he will be able to do the same stuff when this is all said and done. Just wondering what our future holds... Thanks for your reply :-)

1171 Wrote:settlement dollars are based on recovery.
everyone is different - even from the same surgery; so there is no way to guess.
failed surgery and high permanent impairment means he needs more benefits and therefore a higher settlement.
as Jayne says, most would take a successful surgery and lower benefits any day.
settlement is not calculated until after worker has reached maximum medical improvement and/or has returned to work.
Have your husband read up on Connecticut's comp system here
http://wcc.state.ct.us/

Yes, a successful surgery is what we want. Thanks for the link. Will do. :-)

if you were getting a run around then you needed the lawyer......I have 8 kids so I know large family....suggest you start now in looking for ways to pare down your bills...cuz it takes a while to get thru this.....hope you have insurance on credit cards your car and morgage if not let them know now and many will work with you so you dont get behind on your payments......if your honey is a union worker check with them and or his HR person to see if you and the kids will still have medical insurance while he is out on WC......see if he will have a job when he is ready to come back....in most states they only have to keep his job open for him for 12 weeks FMLA after that unless its in a contract he can be let go along with any and all insurance on you and the kids....yes you can buy cobra at a rate most cant afford...check to see if your state welfare insurance will pick them up unless you work and can carry them on your works insurance....be proactive and ready dont wait till the last minute to find out things........this site will help.......this is one hard journey for your whole family and if you get thru it without losing everything you have worked for your whole life then you have won.....the WC insurance people have all the big lawyers and money on their side........so its a hard battle we will help you all we can......welcome

jayne Wrote:if you were getting a run around then you needed the lawyer......I have 8 kids so I know large family....suggest you start now in looking for ways to pare down your bills...cuz it takes a while to get thru this.....hope you have insurance on credit cards your car and morgage if not let them know now and many will work with you so you dont get behind on your payments......if your honey is a union worker check with them and or his HR person to see if you and the kids will still have medical insurance while he is out on WC......see if he will have a job when he is ready to come back....in most states they only have to keep his job open for him for 12 weeks FMLA after that unless its in a contract he can be let go along with any and all insurance on you and the kids....yes you can buy cobra at a rate most cant afford...check to see if your state welfare insurance will pick them up unless you work and can carry them on your works insurance....be proactive and ready dont wait till the last minute to find out things........this site will help.......this is one hard journey for your whole family and if you get thru it without losing everything you have worked for your whole life then you have won.....the WC insurance people have all the big lawyers and money on their side........so its a hard battle we will help you all we can......welcome

Thanks for the advice and kind words. I believe it could get harry here. We have been paying things off and banking all extra , just incase it comes to that. Appreciate it.

You are going to be on a long hard road and saving all the money you can is always a good thing. WC is always looking for ways to cut your pay and starve you out. Now his employer may not do this but the more ready you are in case that happens the better off you will be. One thing I can say for sure is never spend any money until it is in your hands. If WC would decide to stop payments and your lawyer has to go after them for it he gets a % of that money so you don't get all you should have if they would have paid it in the first place. Just something to think about and good luck. Remember nobody gets rich off WC, and most of the time we lose our you know what.

I went nearly 18 months without a penny thank God honey got a check or we would have been up a creek without a paddle or a dime

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cervical Spine second surgery (What to expect?) smith.daniel@centurylink.net 2 1,708 07-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Last Post: California_Help