Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Type of lumbar surgery, Ideas and sugesstions welcome...
-Illinois, Work related injury (car against pedestrian)
-2 herniated discs
-Surgery recommended by two surgeons - Laminectomy/Discectomy with a spinal fusion
-29 years old

I've heard from two doctors that the surgery above from the front (Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion) has proven successful in young adults. Can anyone provide me any information about this type of surgery?

I appreciate any advice.

my husband had C3,4,5, fused and has been in so much pain for the last year and a half.

chicagoHdiscs Wrote:-Illinois, Work related injury (car against pedestrian)
-2 herniated discs
-Surgery recommended by two surgeons - Laminectomy/Discectomy with a spinal fusion
-29 years old

I've heard from two doctors that the surgery above from the front (Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion) has proven successful in young adults. Can anyone provide me any information about this type of surgery?

I appreciate any advice.

Chicago - I keep hearing doctors and surgeons recommending fusion surgery for herniated discs. Fusion surgery should not be for herniation but for instability of the spine. Discectomy and laminectomy are usually dome for herniations although all situations are unique.

I had two fusions. The first one was posterior (from the back) - they can not remove ALL the disc material from the back. They remove the portion of the disc that is protruding and leave the rest and secure the back with screws and bars.

I also had a 360 fusion in which they go through the front and the back. If they go through the front, they take out ALL the disc material and put in "cages" which are like little metal boxes that they put in place of your disc. they also secure this with rods and screws and artificial bone unless you opt to have your own bone grafted from your hips (very very very painful).

Recovery time from surgery to when they will consider you "as good as your gonna get" should be anywhere from 1-2 years. Some people go back to work within 6 months or so, but they are in no way healed or better. Bone won;t start to grow for a least 3 months (and that is just when it starts to show if it ever will ). some people, like myself, never do grow new bone.

It is a very very big and serious surgery and should not be taken lightly. I spent 9 days in neurological ICU after my 360 fusion.
It is a life changing surgery and you investigate your surgeon FULLY before letting anyone do this surgery.

Do not believe a doctor who says a two level fusion will FIX your problem. Fusion surgery is done to stabilize your spine, it will not take care of your pain. It is not meant to take care of your pain. Any doctor who says it will, is not being forthcoming with you.
More people then not end up in just as much or more pain as before the surgery. I know very very few people who have come out of back surgery such as you are describing with no problems. Young or not.

A good website to check out is spine-health.com. They have a forum there that has more info then you will know what to do with and people who have had every surgery under the sun. when you read their stories and talk to them, you will realize that a doctor telling you that this will be successful if most likely full of crap.
I'm not trying to scare you, but give you honest information. I had the surgery because I had no choice. My spine was unstable. It is stable now, but I live in constant pain, have had a surgery to implant a spinal stimulator for the pain, and wil most likely end up with a pain pump installed.

I strongly advise you to go check out spine-health and talk to some of the people on that forum. The are chock full of support and information and will lead you to the right decision for you. It is a big decision but with the right info you will make an informed decision that is best for you and your family.

Good luck - (feel free to PM me with any questions)

Take care
Dina

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  QME on 10/25 for plantar fascia and lumbar spine injury jarimiah 14 9,698 01-30-2020, 12:17 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  Injured Worker has not seen a PTP yet, its 8 months. Any ideas? Billy Miller 6 3,024 04-21-2018, 03:36 PM
  What type of settlement amount should I be looking for? Redtux 2 1,936 01-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Last Post: 1171
  What type of settlement amount should I be asking for? Amirahlove21 7 3,569 01-18-2018, 02:43 PM
  Disability Rating question -lumbar spine 57% RootsGal 14 11,949 12-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Last Post: RootsGal
  C and R, then need lumbar surgery -is private insurance strict? kmecdd 2 3,391 08-12-2016, 10:48 PM
  Lumbar strain with disk protrusion at 3 levels beesgonz 10 8,065 06-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Cycler
  Aprox PPD rating for DDD Lumbar Disc Replacement Wabackinjury 3 5,512 07-18-2015, 12:02 AM
  Relationship reversed cervical lordosis and lumbar herniation tpm 7 5,457 02-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  Lumbar disk herniation w possible Section 32 settlement Cowboys88 8 12,371 12-30-2014, 04:54 PM