Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on Squigs
Squigs and I have been keeping in touch over the last few months. He wrote a couple of nights ago with what sounds like really promising news for his health. I asked him if I could copy and paste it here and he gave his permission. He can't sit and type for to long or he would be here himelf, he really misses everyone...

"Well, after being prodded, poked and having the heart monitoring device malfunction (the nurse was getting concerned that it was my heart!) I've been tentatively cleared for surgery next week. My last hurdle is with my personal doctor on Monday, after his review and physical, and if everything is okay then I'm scheduled for surgery on at 8:30. Also, we have wonderful news! [name edited] has dreaded my at home recovery but after our discussion with my surgical team, it appears that I will be fixed with the most up to date medical means which could make my recovery much more easier, and faster, than what we expected. For instance, they will not be harvesting bone from me for the fusion or, using bone from a bone bank, instead, after removing the bone's that now covers my spinal canal/cord, they'll be crushing it and adding some of my blood to it to create the fusion material that will be placed onto, and over the titanium material's to be inserted into my disc spaces, around the screws, and rods. The screws and rods are a new material which are smaller but stronger so that they shouldn't break, nor will they poke at my back muscles and they will be as the originally sized bone material removed. I now may be able to move at the hip even after being fused! Also, there is a machine that I'll wear on the outside of my body (which was originally implanted), that sends micro waves into the fusion area to help the process! The brace that I'll be wearing won't be as big and bulky as prior braces and it will help correct any prior defects of my spine and keep my spine as straight and in place as possible when in the past this wasn't guaranteed! I won't need a morphine pump pain relief while hospitalized but, I'll get shots when its necessary and, as soon as I can tolerate the pain for awhile I can then take an oral med. I have a high pain tolerance so I'm hoping to take the pain pills as soon as possible because, as soon as I can take the oral medications I can make plans to leave the hospital! Finally, the material used to close me up will not have to be touched, I can shower with it on, and it will automatically fall off when it's suppose to so no going back to get stitches and or staples removed! I won't need a toilet riser, or walker but will use my cane until I can start PT. No driving for a month but they want me to walk as soon as possible and as far as possible! At first I was told that my hospitalization would be 8-12 days, now if all goes well it could be 5-7 days! I was so happy that I asked if they had the correct chart and if I was as bad as first thought. They said I'm as bad as first mentioned and that it was my chart but with the advent of modern medical procedures, my age and overall health allows them to use these new techniques, which is no problem with me! They did caution that once they were inside that there may be something that wasn't seen, even with all the tests I had which could cause a set back but that they doubted that there was but, I told them if there was to go ahead and correct it as I only want one surgical intervention, please!
So that is my good news and now if my wrist could get better so that I could type for a longer period of time hence, I have to say good bye for now and I'll keep in touch with you about how everything goes!"

That's it for now, I'll update you guys as I know more...Smile
Please click the link below to help provide food for homeless animals. It's free and only takes a second of your time! Thanks Smile
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

[IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l298/dominic1964/smokieonbed.jpg[/IMG]

oh monster thank you for sharing that information. I remember him very well. One night when I was up late,so was he and we had a very good conversation and he told me all about himself. I was amazed at his strength and will power to keep going. It sounds like things are so much better for him now. I am so happy. Please let him know that we all miss him and are praying for a speedy recovery. Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

God bless squigs! Monster thanks so much for sharing with us. He is thought about daily and it is wonderful to hear that he is finally getting the help he deserves and things are turning ina positive direction for him. Please give him my best.

CAP

yes please let him know he is still in my 9 oclock prayers
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Monster,
Thanks so much for the update on Squigs!
Squigs....you are in my prayers for a successful & speedy recovery!
Take care, LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Squigs is having his surgery tomorrow so if you all have room on the prayer list I think he can use it right about now Smile

Thanks everyone!!!
Please click the link below to help provide food for homeless animals. It's free and only takes a second of your time! Thanks Smile
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

[IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l298/dominic1964/smokieonbed.jpg[/IMG]

got it...hes is at the top tonight at 9 PM...thanks monster..you are the best.. Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

at the top along with sithie and my whole forum family
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Squigs needs prayers please monster 14 4,894 04-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Last Post: monster
  Update on Squigs...need prayers please monster 11 4,246 02-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Last Post: red1030
  How is Squigs? Sithie 7 2,347 07-27-2007, 05:22 AM
Last Post: monster
  Our prayers worked ....Mr. Squigs is home Spring 6 2,901 05-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Lilly