Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCS-implant
I need a little info here on the scs-spinal cord stimulator. I have watched all the 2 videos, went on the net and watched dozens more... They all showed succesfull implants and none that were not. I understand the function clearly....

So I ask for those of you that have had them and for someone you know of, if you would share your take on the scs......??

And how many has returned to work,? Any of you's truck drivers/delivery...?

My wife and I both have SCS, mine just a little over 2 years now. Both of us have not returned to work. Mine is related to a WC case and my wife had settled her case so insurance had to pay for hers. In both cases the SCS help us make it thru the day but do NOT relieve all the pain. For me my lower back still hurts and this really only helps with the pain I had going down both my legs. I know in both our cases if given the choice after having them for a while now we would both not want to give them back. In both our cases these are for lower back pain so I can't say how they work for upper back or anything else. Not sure what you really want to know but I can try to answer any questions about them if you ask. The one tip I can pass on for sure is if you do it get one of those whole body pillows. We didn't think of it for my wifes but got one for mine and it sure made sleeping allot better. Laying on my side it kept her from bumping me during the night and I could kind of lay on it so I was not on my back but not on my side. I'm sure they told you about having a trial one done first so you can see what it does for you. I can tell you the perm one is different but only because for the temp they keep it simple as far as what you can change while it is on, and with the perm they can set it up with different programs so you can get different coverage with it. Maybe other places do this different but I think you would get a better idea how well it will work for you if you could make some of those changes with the settings during the trial. I know they don't because it can be hard to understand in the short time. With my wife she had very limited things she could change on it and since we didn't know too much about it that was okay but for mine they knew since my wife had one we knew how to change things and they gave me a few more things I could change. Seems to me like not having it setup right for the trial could make you think it doesn't work for you but maybe not. I know my wife loved hers in just the few days she had it in and didn't want them to remove it. Hope something there helps but just ask anything and I will try to answer

Thanks manley2, It has helped, But is the implant after having it a while, still iratating. The thing that has me troubled is the fact I am A truck driver, and I load and unload products, I do a lot of twisting,bending and lift heavy objects from the floor and I'm in and out of my truck 30 to 40 times a day 7 days a week. And just at a loss weather or not it will be more of a hassle to have it.... When working I;m not allowed to take narcotics and have got to the point my dr pulled me out.. I have been off work now for 2 months and am controlling my pain with meds. Without an answer from my dr, is this implant able to return me to work...... Durring the trial I have been told I cant bend, without not tring work while on the trial there is no way to tell if I would benifit from it..... I think they are just rushing in with this implant, and if I'm not able to return to work it was a waste of thier money and my time............

You do have to be very careful with the trial because the leads in your back are not held in there by more the a couple of stiches to your back and doing too much bending and twisting can pull it out. Plus if you have the perm one done you will have to be careful until things heal. They attach the leads to your spine but you still can't do allot of bending and twisting. There are things you should not do again in your life, mainly anything that can jerk you hard. You didn't say where your problem was or why they wanted to try the SCS. In my case it is a lower back injury and even with the SCS my limit on lifting is 10 pounds. This device doesn't make your injury go away it only helps with the pain, in my case if I would push my lifting limit I could get to the point where even the SCS won't help. I still take narcotics everyday even with it but it does help my pain level. It's hard for me to say anything about if this will let you return to work. In my past I drove trucks and I know I could not return to that because of the meds and I think you would have to check with a doctor if they would let you drive with the SCS on. They say you should not but I don't think it is a hard and fast rule but if you need a DOT card that doc might say no. Plus with my back I could never handle the ride even with the best air ride seat.
Only thing I think I didn't answer is the working while on the trial. You should be able to tell how well this will help with your pain without working, beside you only are on the trial for a few days so why would you want to go back to work for that? During the trial you have to be very careful because you have an open hole in your back and you need to keep it very clean. Remember this goes right into your spine and you don't want any infection to get in there.

Bronco,I believe it is time to retire and enjoy your retirement.....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Manley2 Wrote:You do have to be very careful with the trial because the leads in your back are not held in there by more the a couple of stiches to your back and doing too much bending and twisting can pull it out. Plus if you have the perm one done you will have to be careful until things heal. They attach the leads to your spine but you still can't do allot of bending and twisting. There are things you should not do again in your life, mainly anything that can jerk you hard. You didn't say where your problem was or why they wanted to try the SCS. In my case it is a lower back injury and even with the SCS my limit on lifting is 10 pounds. This device doesn't make your injury go away it only helps with the pain, in my case if I would push my lifting limit I could get to the point where even the SCS won't help. I still take narcotics everyday even with it but it does help my pain level. It's hard for me to say anything about if this will let you return to work. In my past I drove trucks and I know I could not return to that because of the meds and I think you would have to check with a doctor if they would let you drive with the SCS on. They say you should not but I don't think it is a hard and fast rule but if you need a DOT card that doc might say no. Plus with my back I could never handle the ride even with the best air ride seat.
Only thing I think I didn't answer is the working while on the trial. You should be able to tell how well this will help with your pain without working, beside you only are on the trial for a few days so why would you want to go back to work for that? During the trial you have to be very careful because you have an open hole in your back and you need to keep it very clean. Remember this goes right into your spine and you don't want any infection to get in there.

Thanks again, my injuries are alot, mva caused 12 broken ribs, punctured lungs, tore rotor cuff, flatlined 3 times, I am healed with those injuries.... I shattered my hip socket and my pelvis and upper/lower pubic bones, had 3 surgeries to reconstruct pelvis and hip, 40 + screws and plates and they put a long screw in through ialic crest(spelling) that is screwed to my SI joint, I have 2 bulging disks 1 severe 1 mild, ddd, and spinal spinosis.......And durring these surgeries I caught mersa....... And because of the infection I still am on antibiotics for life and wont remove hardwware for infections and weak structure.....

But they say the scs will be for the low back and left leg pain........I have accepted I will never be cured, but I am certain I'm not going through with all this and risk infections again.....

jayne Wrote:Bronco,I believe it is time to retire and enjoy your retirement.....

Jayne I have tried every option they have given me this far, and believe the scs is just going to mask my problems and not return to work anyways....... So why put my self through the bull zhit, I am going to talk this over with my injury dr, considering he wasnt for this anyways.... I was reffered to this pain clinic by a surgeon I was refered to for consult.......

The SCS does not fix anything that is for sure, all it does is help tell your brain you don't have a pain. It doesn't fix it but I can tell you it was the only thing that helped with my leg pain so for me it was a good thing. Infection is a risk any time they break the skin that is for sure. My wife got an infection with her implant and had to stay in the hospital for a few days because of it. You are doing the right thing by getting all the info you can before you decide what you are going to do. The trial is a good way to see what it could do for you but it does have a risk of infection. I wish you luck with what ever you decide.

Manley2 Wrote:The SCS does not fix anything that is for sure, all it does is help tell your brain you don't have a pain. It doesn't fix it but I can tell you it was the only thing that helped with my leg pain so for me it was a good thing. Infection is a risk any time they break the skin that is for sure. My wife got an infection with her implant and had to stay in the hospital for a few days because of it. You are doing the right thing by getting all the info you can before you decide what you are going to do. The trial is a good way to see what it could do for you but it does have a risk of infection. I wish you luck with what ever you decide.

Thanks for all your info, I did expect others to give a response but maybe in a few days others will and I will just bump this up once in awhile.......

Bronco,

I too, was looking at getting an SCS back in February of 09 (non-WC). I had been going through pain management for the RSD in both feet, ankles and legs and the pain meds were becoming ineffective, and other conservative measures had been used and no longer worked. My Pm Dr sent me for the psych eval and I was approved for the SCS trial. For some reason, the PM Dr.decided to send me for a thoracic MRI. It was found that I had a severely herniated disc at T8-T9 where the leads would have been placed had I gone with the trial. Because my PM Dr was on the ball, he saved me from possibly being paralyzed if I had gone through with it.

Be sure you know where they plan to put the leads and make sure that there is no underlying medical condition that could interfere or cause more harm to you. There are so many things to consider with this.

Also, I was advised that if I did have an SCS implanted, that it had to be turned off while I drove. Others have been told differently. Trials generally last 5 to 7 days, depending on if you are getting any relief. Then there is up to a 2 week period of waiting while the surgical sight from the trial heals before they will consider the actual implant surgery. During the trial, you have to be ever alert to every movement that you make. Twisting, bending or jerking the body in just the wrong way even 1 centimeter can displace the leads making the whole trial moot. The same after the actual implant. Healing after the surgery for placement can take up to 6 weeks or more. There is no way that you would be able to work for any time after the implant, so it is your decision.... have the trial, see if it works .. or don't have it. Unfortunately, you won't know if it will help you with your job until after you have had the implant, healed and returned to work on a trial basis.

Me .. if I were in your shoes, would be applying for SSDI as it sounds to me like you will never be able to return to your line of work, or anything similar.. if to any job at all. But my opinion and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee (if that) and not much else. The ultimate decision is up to you and whether you want to go through all the hoops to see if an SCS is the answer to your pain.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Before having a surgery with an implant watch this California_Help 0 741 06-19-2019, 11:37 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  IME pending post first artificial implant surgery RootsGal 8 5,167 01-25-2017, 05:50 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Need advice on getting a spine stimulator implant tpm 12 10,851 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Last Post: tpm
  Implant rejection grumpyone 1 4,116 04-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  SCS Implant............... chrischris 2 3,811 07-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Recovery time/pain in stimulator implant lfoster21 3 31,519 01-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Last Post: AQA