Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Security Disability
Badboy, I believe that Chris is right about how to track on line. Bummer is always right in that Del has a number to call and check on his status. However, a status check may simply says something like "it is in review" and that is all. Once he was told that "it was in review in another city" and that was all. Also he received a couple of phone calls during the first process for determination. Good luck Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

I have a question on this SSDI subject, if you guys don't mind? OK, I know it takes 2 years to qualify for Medicare. A medicare card is required by all our local transportation buses, amtrak, etc. to show proof of disability in order to receive a discount. I've been told this is standard as anyone under 65 who has a medicare card is considered disabled.

So, do any of you know if SSDI will issue a "disability" card prior to the 2 years it takes to get a medicare card?

Not a big deal, but every discount helps. Especially those "senior" dinner discounts. LOL!!!!
Let Go, and Let God......

I have not seen a disability card yet.

Oh, for my thread I started. He received a letter yesterday. Very vague and was saying possible SSI.

So we went to the SS Office, as the letter states my Brother-in-Law needs a Payee to handle his Funds, and take care other issues.

Gets strange, as the women was saying he was Awarded SSDI from March 2010 when he re-applied, because he was denied SSDI back in the 2008 application process.

Here to find out, he was Awarded SSI in 2008 yet he never once seen a check. The women was not going to set things in motion for the back pay, then I stepped up and said he is allowed that back pay.

Okay well after about 4 hours, he gets back pay of SSI from 2008 to March 2010. SSI mind you is a little less then 1/2 of what SSDI pays so you know.

Then he gets from March to Sept SSDI back pay, then a monthly check from there. Medicare will start in Sept 2011.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Chris Bill has a disabilty card he uses at state parks and such we had to have a letter from the Drs saying he was permantly disabled this also was good thru the state for fishing and hunting licences....I also have a disabled parking permit
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Thanks Jayne. Apparently I imposed, but since this thread was titled "SSD" I was hoping I could get a quick answer.
Let Go, and Let God......

Chris Chris, I do know each State issues a Disability Card. I also where I am at is that the City and Counties issue a Disability Card also.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Our driver's license bureau issues disability ID's. This is where a person gets their license renewed in our state.

Also when an individual receives a disabled parking permit it is required by law the person also have a disabled ID issued by the state motor vehicles department.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:I have not seen a disability card yet.

Oh, for my thread I started. He received a letter yesterday. Very vague and was saying possible SSI.

So we went to the SS Office, as the letter states my Brother-in-Law needs a Payee to handle his Funds, and take care other issues.

Gets strange, as the women was saying he was Awarded SSDI from March 2010 when he re-applied, because he was denied SSDI back in the 2008 application process.

Here to find out, he was Awarded SSI in 2008 yet he never once seen a check. The women was not going to set things in motion for the back pay, then I stepped up and said he is allowed that back pay.

Okay well after about 4 hours, he gets back pay of SSI from 2008 to March 2010. SSI mind you is a little less then 1/2 of what SSDI pays so you know.

Then he gets from March to Sept SSDI back pay, then a monthly check from there. Medicare will start in Sept 2011.

Bad Boy,

Be sure to double check on his SSDI disability back pay as well as beginning medicare date. I say this because I just received a letter from the attorney that handled my SSDI for me, in regards to Medicare.

It seems that now SSDI has a 5 month waiting period before they start benefits in the 6th month (regardless of when you are determined to be found disabled), thus offsetting the date that medicare is to begin. Here I was, counting the days slowly since I was awarded SSDI back last August (found disabled as of August 2008) to this August, thus ending the 2 year waiting period to be set up. Due to the 5 month waiting period, I am now not eligible to begin recieiving medicare until February 2011 (my actual term of disability began February of 2009).

Please check and double check what you have been told. I don't want you and your BIL to have any unhappy circumstances such as I have just had.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

UndercovrAngel, yes that was all done at the office when we were there.

See, a person has to know certain things. Such as one may have been award SSI for a few months or even years, yet not know this, such as in my Brother-in-Laws case. Now yes your right, as he was awarded SSDI as of March 2010, but, medicare will begin Sept 2011. So there is a time span. But, I was told, much had to do with start and stop dates too of the SSI.

So the keyword in all this mess is as I found SSI being used and not SSDI. it was confusing for awhile I must say, then got it all worked out before we left the office. Remember we were there for 4 hours doing this. Not sitting and waiting, as I didn't count that time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social Security and Social Media California_Help 3 1,524 10-07-2019, 04:26 AM
Last Post: AnnBlair
  Social Security disability on verge of insolvency Wink 5 4,464 08-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Social Security at risk! Bummer Knees 24 9,520 07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Social Security Administration Revals Happening More Bummer Knees 14 15,431 04-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Cervical_Fusion
  Social Security 1099 Cervical_Fusion 10 11,603 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Cervical_Fusion
  Doc exam for social security Steveo190 3 3,671 09-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Social Security Cookiecrum 13 6,619 12-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Cookiecrum
  Social Security, something odd Bummer Knees 20 8,042 10-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  Social Security...Question Spring 19 11,324 08-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Last Post: red1030