Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 level fusion
I just got my MRI reports back. My Dr. tried to explain to me the results the best he could. What I understood is that I've got several disk herniation's, facet hypertrophy, (still looking up definitions), moderate to marked left neuroforaminal narrowing. Also a 13.5 mm cyst within the sacral spinal canal at S2, and several tears, my L 5 is bone on bone.That was the most I could remember regarding my back. My knee has a large minicus tear and three cysts. I'm just wondering if any of these cysts can be cancerous? Cancer has run in my family for decades, my Mother just died of cancer a few years ago. So I'm real skeptical. My W/C Dr. wants to do surgery on my knee right away. And then my back shortly after. Has anybody had a 3 level fusion? Does it actually take the pain away? What's the recovery like? I plan on doing research shortly but wanted to hear from you all first! He also said I would not be returning to work for a long time, so I'll apply for SSDI? The only thing that was against my case is that I had some pre existing back injuries. I understand that any award will be based on apportionment. I had an MRI two months after I started my job the and the injuries were mild compared to this. My injury date was on 3/19/10. Would this make a difference in the compensation of my case? As things got real bad at the time I was working there.

yes apportionment is done on a percentage basis from doctor's opinion.
the PD will be reduced by the percentage due the prior condition.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Will it take the pain away? Who can say. As it's like a flip of a coin. The thing is, fusions are done to Stablre the spinal area when it's Un-Stable. Many who had lower spinal surgery still have pain, some with mild pain, some with no pain, some with the same pain, and continue treatment through Pain Management. In general, recovery is 1 year from date of surgery with fusions.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

I had a single level fusion and was out of work for about ten months. When I returned, it was light duty and that lasted for about 4 months. That was it for me.
As far as relieving the pain. Nerve damage can heal over time and sometimes it can never heal. If you are going to apply for SSDI. You may want to start collecting all your medical records.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Will it take the pain away? Who can say. As it's like a flip of a coin. The thing is, fusions are done to Stablre the spinal area when it's Un-Stable. Many who had lower spinal surgery still have pain, some with mild pain, some with no pain, some with the same pain, and continue treatment through Pain Management. In general, recovery is 1 year from date of surgery with fusions.

In your experience, have you heard from people who were recommended similar surgeries by their Dr. but did not have them? If so, do you have a general sense of how they are doing now?

Yes, I know people from both stand points. Some having Lower Lumbar Fusion's from 1 level to 3 levels, and some that just out right refused to have surgery. Now, look, that is where it all gets real strange too. See, the ones that have had fusion's, about 62% of them say, they wish they didn't have it done, and the ones that refused the surgery about 75% wish they took the chance and had it done. Now also, I have seen a couple people that had fusions, and you would have to have a mind set like them, as they pushed as hard as they could through PT sweat and pushed through all the pain of PT, and these are the ones that are right back to working good jobs again, with little pain. But, see they still perform PT at work out centers now every other day. It has to be done for life, just like with my Neck fusions, PT for life. It is not hard, once you start this in motion, for it just becomes a daily habit from there.

praders1 Wrote:
Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Will it take the pain away? Who can say. As it's like a flip of a coin. The thing is, fusions are done to Stablre the spinal area when it's Un-Stable. Many who had lower spinal surgery still have pain, some with mild pain, some with no pain, some with the same pain, and continue treatment through Pain Management. In general, recovery is 1 year from date of surgery with fusions.

In your experience, have you heard from people who were recommended similar surgeries by their Dr. but did not have them? If so, do you have a general sense of how they are doing now?
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Yes, I know people from both stand points. Some having Lower Lumbar Fusion's from 1 level to 3 levels, and some that just out right refused to have surgery. Now, look, that is where it all gets real strange too. See, the ones that have had fusion's, about 62% of them say, they wish they didn't have it done, and the ones that refused the surgery about 75% wish they took the chance and had it done. Now also, I have seen a couple people that had fusions, and you would have to have a mind set like them, as they pushed as hard as they could through PT sweat and pushed through all the pain of PT, and these are the ones that are right back to working good jobs again, with little pain. But, see they still perform PT at work out centers now every other day. It has to be done for life, just like with my Neck fusions, PT for life. It is not hard, once you start this in motion, for it just becomes a daily habit from there.
thanks for the reply! I'm still deciding to get this surgery done. After I've read about the recovery period I'm having seconds thoughts, but my Dr. is pushing for this. Here are the facts: He is a W/C Dr. (of course) I've seen him 3 times and he's not recommending any " conservative therapies " should I try some Alternative Therapies before I go under the knife. Is he scalpel happy or is he a super experienced surgeon who knows those alternatives won't work in my case? These are my concerns so far. Thanks
praders1 Wrote:

Well, I have fusions in my neck. I will tell you I tried ever conservative measure there was to take, before I said lets do the surgery, for nothing at all was working. I went sleepless for months on end. If I caught 15 minutes sleep at a time I was lucky. I use to go to PT every other day, when I got there, the doctor always sent the nurse over and gave me shot, it would put me out for a few hours, and I slept right there in PT on the table. Then performed PT when I woke up.

I just can't answer that for you. Your body is what tells you what you need to do.

See there are even Medical Journals that will state have the fusions, and there are others that say don't have the fusions. So, since everything Medically is up in the air with no aggrement, I can't give you information leading in either direction. Everything is like filpping a coin. But, you need to follow what your body is telling you.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Well, I have fusions in my neck. I will tell you I tried ever conservative measure there was to take, before I said lets do the surgery, for nothing at all was working. I went sleepless for months on end. If I caught 15 minutes sleep at a time I was lucky. I use to go to PT every other day, when I got there, the doctor always sent the nurse over and gave me shot, it would put me out for a few hours, and I slept right there in PT on the table. Then performed PT when I woke up.

I just can't answer that for you. Your body is what tells you what you need to do.

See there are even Medical Journals that will state have the fusions, and there are others that say don't have the fusions. So, since everything Medically is up in the air with no aggrement, I can't give you information leading in either direction. Everything is like filpping a coin. But, you need to follow what your body is telling you.

Thanks for the reply! It seems like you have been through a lot. Sorry to hear that, but you sound like a real trooper! I'm just terrified of back surgery. My W/C Dr. just seems to pushy for surgery, he really doesn't want to try for anymore alternative measures. All he talked about was how fast he could get me into both surgeries! I'm doing research like crazy and still so confused!, like what would happen to me if I opted not to have it. Would my conditions heal over time?

That's when a time like this comes along, and I say to you, it would be nice now, to have a Cryslal Ball, or be able to see the Future. Will it heal in time, months, or years to come, if you don't have surgery? Who knows, but, I sure wish I was able to answer that for you, but, I also wish back in my times of surgeries, I wish I could have answered that for me also.

If you refuse surgery, in most cases, it's then seen as your put at MMI, and settlement procedings then start.

praders1 Wrote:
Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Well, I have fusions in my neck. I will tell you I tried ever conservative measure there was to take, before I said lets do the surgery, for nothing at all was working. I went sleepless for months on end. If I caught 15 minutes sleep at a time I was lucky. I use to go to PT every other day, when I got there, the doctor always sent the nurse over and gave me shot, it would put me out for a few hours, and I slept right there in PT on the table. Then performed PT when I woke up.

Thanks for the reply! It seems like you have been through a lot. Sorry to hear that, but you sound like a real trooper! I'm just terrified of back surgery. My W/C Dr. just seems to pushy for surgery, he really doesn't want to try for anymore alternative measures. All he talked about was how fast he could get me into both surgeries! I'm doing research like crazy and still so confused!, like what would happen to me if I opted not to have it. Would my conditions heal over time?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 level acdf c5-t1 sore neck 6 4,387 09-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: sore neck
  Approaching my mmi after a 2 level acdf surgery and the nightmare has no end in sight gopack4mvp2 5 8,958 10-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Cost of 2 level spinal fusion in Illinois chicagoHdiscs 2 11,098 11-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Last Post: nursedina
  At MMI-Illinois Claim-3 Level Spinal Fusion clipped wings 6 15,063 08-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Last Post: jayne
  3 level back fussion question highdesertguy 12 14,006 08-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  3 level laminectomy-diskectomy,recovery highdesertguy 2 11,072 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Last Post: 1171
  3 level laminectomy-discetomy recovery highdesertguy 3 6,808 11-30-2009, 10:59 PM
  3 level laminectomie surgery highdesertguy 9 10,040 04-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Last Post: AQA
  two-level fusion,ILLINOIS,now VOC. REHAB. slapshot53 6 5,332 06-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Last Post: RNvic
  vocational rehab. post two level fusion slapshot53 12 11,437 05-19-2008, 09:47 AM