Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone found work after W/C and how much of a pay cut from previous jobs?
Question 

Just trying to figure out what to expect after all said and done.

I will end up with PPD for the rest of my life/ upper extr.

Just courious how many people have found work after all has been said and done, and just how much of yearly earing was lost with new job.

Confued
Thanks for all the help.
Confusedd

HI CONFUSEDD,I HAVEN'T BEEN LOOKING YET AS I AM NOT TO THAT POINT,BUT WHEN I DO, I DON'T EXPECT IT WILL BE ANYWHERE CLOSE TO WHAT I WAS MAKING......WHAT KIND OF WORK DID YOU DO BEFORE YOUR INJURY,WAS IT VERY PHYSICAL??????WHAT KIND OF INJURY DID YOU HAVE????

I was sorta told, and i do not know if this is right as i am not at all ready to be released to another duty or rehab at this point, but you should be able to get a job within the same pay you were making before being injured. Is this true? I am right now trying to get into rehab to have a new career as my old career will no longer be able to be done due to my injury. So i was told if i do not find a job that pays the same amount that workmans comp would make up the difference? Just curious also.
Thanks
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

HEY SPARKY,THE WAY I UNDERSTAND IT IS THAT IF YOU FIND A LOWER PAYING JOB THAT W/C WILL MAKE UP 66 2/3 OF THE DIFFERENCE IN PAY,BUT NOT ALL OF IT...OF COARSE THAT IS IN GA.,I THINK ALL STATES ARE SOMEWHAT DIFFERENT.YOU SHOULD LOOK ON YOUR STATES WEB SITE TO FIND OUT WHAT YOURS WOULD BE!!!!!

Confusedd,

I was released from W/C in August 2004 with a 13% disability to my dominant hand (DOI was July 2003) and quit my job that I was injured at (asst manager at a gas station/c-store) before my release. I was paid a mere $6.50 at that job. I was eventually hired at a T-Mobile customer service call center and was making over $10. Now, I am a reservationist for Avis rental cars making just over $8 an hour. So both jobs have paid more than the job I was employed at when injured.

It took a lot of time and perseverance for me to find these to jobs, but as my boyfriend is wont to say, I am a very stubborn German and didn't give up easily.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

I'm in Kansas and I found out that if I can't return to my job and rate of pay, I can get a settlement for the difference. As long as there is a difference between what I made in the job I was injured in and what I can make in a job with my restrictions and the difference is at least 10%, I can get a settlement. I'm not very good at explaining, but I think that's the jist of it.

[/color][/size][/font]
ksgirl Wrote:I'm in Kansas and I found out that if I can't return to my job and rate of pay, I can get a settlement for the difference. As long as there is a difference between what I made in the job I was injured in and what I can make in a job with my restrictions and the difference is at least 10%, I can get a settlement. I'm not very good at explaining, but I think that's the jist of it.

[font=Tahoma][size=large]

My Injuries are,

Carpal Tunnel (even after surgery) bilateral

Bilateral lateral epicondylitis

Bilateral Bicipital tendinitis of shoulders

Right thoracic outlet syndrome

Possible strain of cervical spine, (disc. injury).

Bilateral shoulder impingement syndrome

bilateral Elbow Medial and Lateral epicondylitis.

Left ring trigger finger.

And possibly a few more.
I am sure i will end up with Perm Partial Disabilitys, and will not be able to return to my previous job,

I was just wondering if everyone is in the poor house after getting injured and having perm. restrictions.

Thanks for all the imput!

Confused
Thanks for all the help.
Confusedd

What type of employment did you do? Was it very physical? If it was I am pretty sure you will have permanent disabilities. Your state site should have some info, if you can understand it. The Kansas web site is not very clear on anything. Do you have an attorney?

If you're still on wc & you go back to work (like light duty or less hours or another job with less pay); THEN wc will make up the pay difference. But when you go off of wc completely; either by settleling or by signing off; my understanding is: you're done with wc; there won't be any pay difference. WC is for while you're healing. Maybe I'm wrong; but this is my opinion. I went on light duty as long as I could & my Ins. Carrier paid the difference. Take care.
"Tomorrow is never promised to anyone"

http://www.forbes.com/2007/08/03/privacy...peed=30000

Privacy: Don't Ask -- Maybe
Inteview Questions Potential Employers May or May Not Ask Vary From State to State

When may an employer ask for certain information from an applicant? Like age or family life or medical conditions?

The answers are never simple. They depend on the purpose of the inquiry and, often, the state where the hiring takes place.

Laws on pre-employment inquiries stem from the long history of nondiscrimination laws since the 1960s, not from the more recent concern about personal privacy. This means that restrictions about asking for certain information are intended to prevent use of the information in a way that discriminates against the applicant, not necessarily to keep sensitive information out of the hands of employers. If you remember that, you will have a better idea of which inquiries are permissible.

Amendments to the federal civil rights laws specify a number of questions that may never be asked of women or if the answers might be used for impermissible purposes. These include marital status, whether the applicant has had an abortion, is planning a family or is pregnant.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and regulations and court cases stemming from it bar questions as to the applicant's religion, but do allow questions of race, ethnicity or gender. Such data should be collected so that it is not traceable to identifiable applicants, however. Affirmative action plans don’t usually include religion and age factors, and so the queries are usually out of place at the pre-employment stage.

Verification of citizenship or legal residency is not only allowed, but often required, though not before a job is actually offered. Sexual orientation questions may be asked, though some states and cities prohibit discrimination based on this, as is the case in federal employment. Still, even in the absence of a regulation, such an inquiry could trigger a lawsuit.

Also allowed are questions about whether an applicant has been arrested or convicted of a crime, though only if the inquiry is job related. Still, some states prohibit inquiries about arrests and very few states prohibit inquiries about certain convictions.

No questions are allowed about union activities or membership under federal law, and secondarily by state laws.

Always banned are questions about disabilities, HIV status or any prescription medicines that are being taken. Still, while the Americans with Disabilities Act bars such queries, it does allow questions about the ability of the applicant to perform certain functions. Also allowed is a medical exam and questions about medical conditions, but only after a job is offered, and only if all employees are treated the same.

Generally allowed is a question whether the applicant smokes at home, though such an inquiry could lead to a lawsuit. Some 31 states ban policies prohibiting off-duty smoking.

Also allowed are requests for an applicant's social security number and a credit report, though the job seeker must be notified that such a report will be sought in California, Minnesota, Rhode Island and Vermont. Under federal regulations, credit inquiries that tend to have a disparate impact on minority applicants, disabled persons or women may be closely scrutinized.

School and college records may be sought only with the individual’s consent. Polygraphs or honesty tests are effectively banned in private employment. Urinalysis to test for drug use is generally allowed, though 13 states have restrictions. Genetic information requests are banned in 31 states. Questions about performance at prior workplaces are allowed.

Political affiliation questions are allowed, though some states ban discrimination on this basis and political affiliation may not be used for discriminatory purposes in federal-government employment.

Many of these issues are in tricky areas. The best advice is to call the nearest regional office of the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (800-669-4000). It enforces many of these federal requirements and also should be prepared to tell you about prohibited inquiries in the states and cities within its region. In fact, I asked an EEOC attorney to review the draft of this column, and I received valuable advice.

If the inquiry is job related and the purpose is not to discriminate -- and especially if the employer documents the reason for the inquiry -- a company can avoid troubles.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  lawyer has not found my brother a PTP after Four Months in Ca? Billy Miller 6 3,680 02-01-2018, 11:50 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Previous Workers Compensation case. Mustang229 2 2,860 01-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Last Post: 1171
  I had 2 jobs when I was injured at 1. steelers 7 2,859 10-27-2016, 01:27 PM
  previous injury dirtygirlscb 3 2,312 02-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dolphins
Toungue CA - IC Refuses Treatment That IMR Found Medically Necessary SickOfTheProcess 4 5,752 05-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Last Post: kev_b
  Hopefully I found a place that can help me now zsduncan 4 5,000 11-12-2013, 12:27 PM
  Found to be at MMI & Benefits stopped kerrtxgjg 5 7,869 06-04-2013, 10:06 PM
  Injury at work with two jobs Rwoods716 4 6,995 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Last Post: kate
  previous injury question Utah jjortiz214 1 2,878 11-25-2012, 10:39 PM
  Future jobs. California. Settled work comp. claim with PNS. Iis73 1 5,841 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM